New Picture Eilean Donan Castle

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jan 23, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,check out the stunning pic in my profile of Eilean Donan Castle,a famous castle in the Western Scottish Highlands.
    I was gonna do "a guess where" game but it would have been too easy as it came up in the first page of a google under famous Scottish Castles.
    Wikipedia says:
    Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic for Island of Donan), is a small island in Loch Duich in the western Highlands of Scotland. It is connected to the mainland by a footbridge and lies about half a mile from the village of Dornie.

Eilean Donan castle is the famous castle situated on the island. The original castle was built in 1220 for Alexander II as a defence against the Vikings.
    The castle was restored in the years between 1912 and 1932 by Lt. Col. John MacRae-Gilstrap. The restoration included the construction of an arched bridge to give easier access to the castle. In 1983 The Conchra Charitable Trust was formed by the MacRae family to care for the Castle.

It is now one of the most photographed monuments in Scotland and a popular venue for weddings and film locations. It has appeared in such films as Highlander (1985), Loch Ness (1995) and The World is not Enough (1999).

Eilean Donan is the home of the Clan MacRae.

Hope you enjoy the pic.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You have me missing Findhorn and Forres so much. Annie
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I posted a pic of Skibo Castle yesterday,I know thats up near Forres,don't know if you managed to see that picture.
    Yeh you're right though,some amazing scenery.
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

That picture is truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing. So many of the photographs I have seen of Scotland are so amazing. What are your seasons like there? What is an average temperature for you in the summer, and is it cloudy much of the time? Just curious....Kim :)
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad you enjoyed the photo.
    Overall I would say that the weather in Scotland is pretty temperate,not too warm in the summer & not too cold in the winter.It doesn't seem too have some of the extreme weather that you read about in some US states.In the summer it can get up to about 80F although last year seemed to be a bit of a one off when we had prolonged spells in 70's & 80's.They seem to think it's the global warming thing.
    Throughout the year we get a lot of rain & today we even had some snow but it didn't last very long & is now dry.We get quite cold in Jan & Feb but temps don't really go much below -2C/-3C.
    It's not unusual to get 4 seasons in one day in Scotland,but in the main it's very tolerable.It's suits me as my pains seem to get worse if the temp is too warm.
    How's the weather in your part of the States.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What an amazing country you live in. Even if you can't get out and about as much as you'd like right now, it's fun to explore online, isn't it? I can start with a Google Image search of "Scottish castles," and an hour later, I'm wondering where the time went.

Eileen Donan got to be one of the most beautiful castles in Scotland. I think we drove by it in '87, but I didn't get a chance to explore.

I also remember the exteriors vividly from the movie, Highlander, and the James Bond movie, The World is Not Enough.

7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,wish I was up for some real travelling just now,I would love to get a camper van & tour around the Scottish Highlands for about a month to see some of the amazing sights.
    Know what you mean about surfing the net,i've only been online for about a year now & I've seen more Scottish places online than I could ever imagine visiting.
    Ah well the PC Armchair Travelling will have to do for now,LOL.
    Ah well,time for bed over here,it's nearly midnight,
    Au revoir,Paul.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I wonder if your computer has resources mine doesn't. Being as you are closer to the action, or lack of action in this case.

Anyway, I wonder if you can find "my" castle.

I had some ancestors in Wales named Merrick who came over here in 1636. Four sons; papa was a Baron. The boys founded Springfield, Massachusetts. Anyway, about 100 years ago a fellow wrote a history of the family and included a picture of the castle taken in 1901.

I can't find it on net. I wonder if goes by one of those crazy Welsh names like Gwynndynfa. I e mailed the Welsh embassey and various resources. Got some pictures of an old Merrick house but definetly not a castle.

Maybe you know a castle buff? Anyway I don't want to ask someone w/ limited energy to spend a lot of time. If you have any suggestions tho, let me know.

9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

The summer weather sounds very nice in Scotland. Not too cold in the winter there?! Hmmm.....a southern California girl like myself might think differently of temps like -2 C. Lol! (I think that must be around 30 degrees F. ?) It may drop down that low once in a while at night here in the winter. I am in the Temecula Valley, but the local mountains do get a lot of snow, so that makes for fun winter vacations.

The summers are quite warm with temp's in the high 90's and low 100's. Fall is wonderful, great mild temps, 70's, and spring also. It varies from county to county. I am more inland than Los Angeles. Our winter has been up and down, with anything from the high 70's to 40's.

I am always amazed at the beautiful colors in the pictures of Scotland. Do you live in a big city, small town? Are the houses spread out with land?

Well, you are probably sleeping over there in Scotland. I am thinking you are about 8 hrs. ahead of me. Not sure though. Hope you are feeling well. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

How beautiful!!!!! I really enjoyed looking at it on such calm waters.

11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hey Rock,don't know much about Welsh Castles but will look into it a little to see what I can find as I love looking at old historical buildings,it's not as if I've any better offers,LOL.
    Hi Kim,yeh we're 8 hours ahead of the times on the message board.I think Scotland in the winter may be too cold for you Kim,lol,but of course,us hardy Scots are used to it,lol.I wouldn't be taken in by what you see in the photos of Scotland I'm posting,because of course we do have some spectacular scenery esp in the Highlands & in Edinburgh,but we also do have a lot of deprived areas esp in the Central areas & in Glasgow.
    I live in quite a large town,Motherwell(pop approx 80,000) which is about 8 miles SE of Glasgow.It's quite an unremarkable town really used mainly by commuters(I nearly typed in computers there for some strange reason,lol) travelling to work in Glasgow.It has many multi-rise flats & does have some deprived areas so it's not all picture postcard like the photies I'm posting.
    In saying that I like living here & we do have a beautiful park on our doorstep,Strathclyde Country Park but I'd really love to have the energy though to go travelling around the Highlands for a few weeks,now that would be fun.
    Kim,do you think I'd get a job wi the Scottist Tourist Board wi all the promotion I'm doing,haha,now only if I had the energy for that.That might be something to think about for the future when I finally get this Fibro under control.
    Well enough for now,hope you have a great day Kim,not too stressful.
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thanks for the post. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this wonderful place.

13. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Years ago I spent a few weeks in England and Ireland but

regretfully did not get to Scotland. Enjoy your pics

of the Castles very much as I taught History for awhile

and the Europe Middle Ages was my favorite (favourite)

period! Greetings from San Francisco!

Your Friend,
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad you all liked the pic.
    Hi Joe,yeh I've been to Ireland a few times myself in the 1990's,some terrific historical buildings & sights to see there as well.Once I went on a week's trip all around Ireland where we got off the ferry in Belfast,travelled to see the impressive Giant's Causeway in Co.Antrim then thro Donegal,down to Galway,then Killarney,Cork & finally Dublin.Some of the scenery on the way round there was amazing.
    Hey Joe,I'm glad you corrected your spelling of favourite,lol.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  15. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yes, your new job should be "Scottish travel agent" Lol! I looked up some info. on Strathclyde Country Park, it looks like a beautiful place to enjoy outdoor sports. I did not know what to expect as far as housing goes, but I was not thinking of high-rise flats. I guess I was thinking more of detached homes with large parcels of land. Which I am sure there are some of those also, but more in the outlying areas, not in the city? I guess that shows you that I do not know too much about real estate in Scotland. Lol!

I guess your day is over, hope it was enjoyable! I did have a nice, stress-free day as I was lucky enough to become an aunt again (for the 7th time!). Went to visit my new niece in San Diego this morning. I feel very happy today! Thanks for all of the interesting info.! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  16. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm always late checking out the photos, But i've learned to Look at the ones you put up Faster because they are always so Kool!,,,,,,,,,,Castles are just Amazing arent they?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It's really Hard to Believe that they were Built way back in the day's when there was no Heavy Equiptment to help out!
    But Yes again Thanks for the pictures you share with us all from your Country!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  17. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh dncnfngrs,I'm with you on that,would love to go on some serious travel when I get this Fibro thing under control,let's hope for some effective treatments soon for these DD's so we can get back to living our lives again.Yeh,also good to have an aim,mine's is to go travelling around the Highlands for a month in a camper van,but there's no chance of that at the moment,imagine spending a month trying to sleep in a van,lol,my sleep's bad enough at the moment.Ah well,I can always wish.
    Hi Kim,in Glasgow,Edinburgh & the other major town's & cities in Scotland where the majority of the population live,these areas are very built-up & consist of large housing estates & high-rises with people living in close proximity to each other.Don't get me wrong there are some very nice houses within these areas but as you say you have to go to the outlying areas to see the really big houses & farms with their large acres of lands & estates.You don't get much in Scotland these days for £100,000(US$190,000 approx),that would probably get you a small semi-detached 2-bed house in Glasgow.
    Congrats on becoming an aunt again,I'm sure you'll be good for some babysitting,or maybe not,that may be too stressful,lol.
    I'm sure the Temecula Valley is a beautiful place & I bet you love those warm temperatures.I did a google on Temecula & the first thing that appeared was the Temecula Valley Vineyards,now what does that say about So. California,I hope you don't overindulge Kim,lol.
    Hi Sydney,yeh can't imagine how they built these Castles way back then,I think though that they assigned whole army's to build them,wouldn't have fancied that job.
    Wish you all a good day.
  18. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yes, there are many beautiful vineyards here, but no overindulging here. :) We do go to the wineries once in a while, usually when someone is visiting. I also help a friend of mine, who is an event planner, with some weddings out at the wineries. Those are always very pretty ceremonies.

I wasn't really picturing all large estates, I was picturing a mixture of homes, small and large, but more spread out. I should of realized that many larger towns, or cities have high rise housing, and a mixture of different homes. The high rise homes must have some spectacular views. I saw pics of Motherswell on the net. What a charming town. It looks like a very nice place to live.

I would love to visit Scotland and Ireland some day. Enjoy your evening! Kim :)