New Picture Guess Where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Aug 24, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,hope you're all having a fine Friday.Can you guess the location of the pic in my profile.Clues to follow if needed.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

'ah good' I just said when I saw your post. Havent done this in a long time. Isn't our weather just marvellous just now, let's hope we get a few days of it. Not too hot but some nice sunny spells.

Right - well it looks northerly and it looks cold but apart from that I don't have a clue.

Except to say that the boy with the binoculars looks like he's got short 'long' trousers on that they used to wear to school when I was younger, so what year is it??

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2007]
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,the weather has been excellent over the past few days,lets hope it continues over the weekend.
    The pic is in Scotland & I believe it's quite a recent photo.But what is the young guy looking at in the distance?.This will give you a clue as to where this is.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

looks like a small airport of some sort??
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Looks like your on the right track,maybe this one will be too easy,lol.
    I'm just away to watch the cycling Tour of Ireland on TV,the scenery there is quite amazing.
    Will be back in 30 mins.
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Is this the Home of Bob witticks Aeornautical Tours of scotland? A small private airport owned buy a rich guy that gives private tours? lol,,,,I'm sort of awake today!
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Nope,not that one.Will give another clue shortly that will lead to the answer.
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

US. Space shuttle Endeavor Flying over Scotland on it's way home 2 days ago ,,,,,Lol,,,Not an easy one at all!
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

US Space Shuttle Endeavor,not quite,but this is a very,very remote part of Scotland.
    And this airport is very unique,it's the only one of it's kind in the world.
    Keep guessing,lol.
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Good to see you in on the game.Thanks for keeping quiet for the moment.
    Agh,you are still in the 100's,that would really drain me.We've had a couple of sunny days this week in the low 70's,very enjoyable & not too stuffy.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

I think this is it! The only Beach airport in the world ,,,,,,located at Isle of Barra in the southwestern Hebrides island,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nervous! to find out if this is right!,,lolol!,,,,,,,,Sis
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

if its the Hebrides then I should be ashamed of myself for not knowing.

I did think it had something to do with airplanes though.

Did you know there used to be an airport in Grangemouth Paul....the mind boggles.

I have my French niece and nephew over so might be taking them to the Wheel on Sunday morning.....might even go on it.

13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,this is Barra Airport on the remote Western Isles of Scotland,the only beach airport in the world which is used for scheduled airline services.
    Check out the link below for Undiscovered Scotland which contains many stunning pics of this area:

There are also several clips on You-tube showing the small aircraft Twin Otters coming in & out of the airport.

Well,I think both Sis & Linda deserve a holiday to the Isle of Barra,howabout that,lol.Get the passports ready girls.

Rosie,I never knew that about Grangemouth.
    Hope you enjoy the trip to Falkirk Wheel,would love to visit myself one day.

14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

have you ever been over to the islands???? I've been up north a few times and over to Mull but never to the Hebrides or Shetlands.

There's obviously a trick to finding out where these places are and I dont know it yet.

The Wheel takes an hour - I think I'd die of boredom but will need to see what the kids want to do.

By the way, I think the lad has jean shorts on.....

15. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the Game! Took my mind off of alot of other stuff Today! lolol! ,,,,,,,,I'm checking out the photos!,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Never been to any of the Western Isles yet,maybe one day.I think I've said to Ken a few times on here that I would love to go touring around the Highlands & maybe take in a few Western Isles,but my health would need to improve somewhat to be able to do that.Some of the scenery around Scotland is really breathtaking.
    I've actually been watching some re-runs of the programme Coast on the UKTV History Channel & I'm absolutely hooked with the scenery & stories they tell about the British coastline.This is where I saw the Beach Airport on the Isle of Barra.
    You might be right about the lads jean shorts,lol.
  17. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Gosh darn it! I just woke up from my nap and find I missed all the fun.

I went to the site and found this, inter alia:

"Flying into or out of Barra can seem a great adventure, but the airport is subject to the same safety rules as anywhere else. Facilities include modern emergency services, though the airport fire crews are called out far more frequently to help stranded dolphins or seals on Traigh Mhor than for any reason connected with the aircraft operations. This, too, must make the airport quite unique."

So are the runways actually on the sand? Could a flight be delayed by a terrorist building a sand castle?

Congrats to Sis and Linda.

Alba Gu Brath!

Rock (Raeburn)
  18. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Sorry you missed all the jocularity.
    Terrorists & sandcastles,lol.
    Apparently they also have to watch out in case they get "shell-ed".
  19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Haha, you are a canny bloke.

I read the bay used to be famous for its mussels or was it cockles?

Hoots Mon!

20. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Ye "canny" beat a good joke.
    I believe they are famous for cockle picking,the majority of which are exported to Europe,esp France.
    The TV programme Coast which we get over here on our history channels actually showed some cockle pickers who were about 300 yards away from where the Twin Otter planes land on Barra beach,what an amazing wee country we stay in.