NEW POLL: Do You Have CFIDS or FMS or BOTH?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jillian40, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello -

I have a strong interest in understanding more about the underlying cause, as I'm sure many of you do.

I thought it might be interesting & helpful to see how many of the folks on the board have BOTH as well as individual FMS or CFIDS.

If you know, also include if yours was a sudden onset or a more gradual accumulation of symptoms. I'll try to keep mine short so it's easier for us to see similarities among us.

I have FMS/MPS (Myofascial Pain Syndrome). Mine was a gradual accumulation of symptoms over time, since my early
    20's. My parents said I had "growing pains" in my legs at a young age. However, following a lifting injury at work, 4 years ago, my symptoms of pain & sleep deprivation became prominant and WahLah Fibromalgia/MPS. (In my mid 20s I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and Fibroids in my Uterus)

Jillian (40 y.o.)
  2. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello -

I have a strong interest in understanding more about the underlying cause, as I'm sure many of you do.

I thought it might be interesting & helpful to see how many of the folks on the board have BOTH as well as individual FMS or CFIDS.

If you know, also include if yours was a sudden onset or a more gradual accumulation of symptoms. I'll try to keep mine short so it's easier for us to see similarities among us.

I have FMS/MPS (Myofascial Pain Syndrome). Mine was a gradual accumulation of symptoms over time, since my early
    20's. My parents said I had "growing pains" in my legs at a young age. However, following a lifting injury at work, 4 years ago, my symptoms of pain & sleep deprivation became prominant and WahLah Fibromalgia/MPS. (In my mid 20s I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and Fibroids in my Uterus)

Jillian (40 y.o.)
  3. Deonmc

Deonmc New Member

50 yrs. old. I have both. As I look back,I fought for years. Had mono,not sure when.In 95 EBV and CMV. were checked and both were very high levels. Also in late 20'a fibroids in uterus. As long as I can remember I have had restless legs,hurting and jumping. There were times I was so tired I felt like I could not make another step. Yes,this has been with me as long as I can remember. Hope we can learn from each other. Deon
  4. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

I have both! Along with a few others, for over 20 years now.
    Don't really want to list everything I have, would be here all day! Oh the joy to fall apart at 42.

Robin
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

for twenty years plus. Came on after a bout with pneumonia, but was gradual, then developed IBS, ulsers, sinus, arthritis, along the way.

Was not ever sick as a child, or as an adult before the pneumonia. Never well since!

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I have had FMS since approx. 1987. That's when I recall my first flare. I can't say that it stems from a particular sickness or accident, but I can say that I have had a couple traumatic things happen to me (I was raped when I was 9, and was a victim of spousal abuse for 2 1/2 yrs.) so that may be what started it. I had been able to funtion normally ... hold down a 40 hr. job, etc. until last Sept.
    Since that time, I have been getting progressively worse for whatever reason. I have been out on STDC since May, and have filed for SSDI.

This past year, I was Dx'd with CFS.

Shiloh

7. Billie

Billie New Member

I only have CFIDS. And I feel it was a bit gradual, maybe over 6 months or so.
  8. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I was diagnosed with FMS in 1982, and with CFIDS about 5 yrs ago.

Jan ^v^
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

BOTH....yuck, nasty!
    I'm 48 and have had this trouble following a severe allergic reaction during my first pregnancy in 1974!!!
    To your health!
    Kady
  10. Roz51

Roz51 New Member

I have SM/ACM/FM syringomyelia , arnold chiari malformation and fibro. Isnt that enough. Also found out yesterday I have Mortons Neuroma .
  11. majic

majic New Member

fibro and mps it has been there a long time but seemed to get worse over the years. majic
  12. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

I have cfs. Had a gradual start after a bout of flu, but has been getting worse over the years. Have had it for 18 years.

Satin
  13. motg

motg New Member

I have both. I had gradual accumulation of symptoms. Over several years.
  14. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've had CFS all of my life that I can remember, never has been diagnosed still. I know my mother had it & one of my sons. I've been diagnosed with FMS since 1995, but I know that it started in Dec. 1979, with gradual onset of symptoms which were all diagnosed separately & not put together until 1995, when I saw a rheumatologist. In Dec. 1979 I had a spinal headache after spinal anesthesia for a tubal ligation and my headached never stopped. In 1992 all of my symptoms worsened considerably after I was stung by a Portuguese Man-O-War while on my honeymoon & went into analphylactic shock (a severe allergic reaction). My husband says that I've never been the same since & he's right. I'm still tired all the time, but it hasn't been as bad since I haven't worked in a year and a half, obviously! But, I still need my sleep & wake up very slowly. I'm sure that my son that has always been tired also has fibromyalgia, as he's always complained of growing pains also,in his legs. While in high school, I had him into see orthopedists, but I wasn't diagnosed at the time, and now he doesn't even want to hear it. When he's had enough, he'll want to hear all about it. Hope that helps. dolsgirl
  15. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I got FM symptoms first, then I got CFIDS a few years later. I don't know how interchangeable the two are, but I felt I caught something else that gave me CFIDS.

TeaBisqit
  16. Cheka

Cheka New Member

I'm 47 and had a gradual onset over a period of years.
    Debbie
  17. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

One son Dxes FMS. # of our boys have symtoms since childhood and our littlest had IB and migraines and a couple other signs. Our boys are 25, 21, 21, 19 and 3. It's funny my Mom has had many symtoms and has always been at home and I believe she has it but, ignoires most. She never was up before noon and never made dinner, had maids and Just says deal with it and push. We had a nanny to so yah, she was able to ignoir it. But, shes happy.

We have had more and more symtoms pop op over the years. Too many to list lets say most of them. I was looking at Devlins list earlier and was ammased at how few symtoms we haven't had. Gary is now on SSDI and I retired 9 years ago and only worked out of the house full time for a life total of 5 years and 8 part time. Not to forget at home with kids and running. Slept all day when they were in school. They are great catches for any wives. When they turned 12 they did there own wash, cleaning of there rooms and batroom and cooking and sewing. They are of great help and now I hirer highschool kids to do odd jobs and cleaning a few hours per week. $5.00 per hour. A real life saver.

You have to be creative with disabilities. A biggie is a good sence of hummor and laughter.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  18. SharonR

SharonR New Member

I really don't know what I have. I had knee surgery in 2000, torn meniscus repaired with laser, and from there on the bottom dropped out.
    I ended up going to a Rhumetologist and he diagnosed (many thousand dollars later) FM. Everything else was eliminated. I have all the classic symptoms but not the true pressure points.
    I am now seeing another rhuemy, he is an expert in Lupus but also treats FM/CFS patients, and he says he does not think so, So we are going thru the pick of the litter at this point, trying to establish a point of reference.
    My next appointment should give me more info.
    Thank You
    Smiles
    SharonR
  19. nje

nje New Member

I HAVE HAD CFS FIRST AND THEN THE FMS JUST KIND OF JUMPED ME, IT HAS REALLY MADE AN OLD WOMAN OUT OF ME,I`LL PROBABLY BE IN A WHEELCHAIR SOOON IF IT DON`T LET UP. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE HAVE IT WORSE THAN OTHERS,SO I CAN`T SAY MINE IS WORSE OR BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. ALL I KNOW IS I USE TO HAVE BUNDLES OF ENERGY,WANTED TO GO,GO ,GO ALL THE TIME. NOW MOST OF MY DAYS I JUST DON`T EVEN STICK MY HEAD OUT THE DOOR,AND THEN THERE ARE DAYS WHEN I CAN GO OUT FOR A LITTLE WHILE,MY THERAPIST TOLD ME TO MAKE MYSELF GO OUT UNLESS I WAS REALLLLY BAD,HE ALSO SAID SET A GOAL FOR EACH DAY,NO MATTER HOW SMALL,OR HOW LONG IT TAKES YOU,AND I HAVE BEEN DOING THAT,IT HELPS TO A CERTAIN DEGREE.(((( )))))) HUGS.
  20. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Over 3 yrs ago dx with CFS which I'd been having symptoms of for years before but just mild ones...but then had back injury and all got worse, then dx with FM few months ago.
    I too had growing pains as child which was dx as restless leg syndrome last year finally after 40 plus years of leg pain!! I have other things going on too but i'm running out of strength to type so closing for now.