NEW QUESTION =HELP= re MP3 players & audio books!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Jun 28, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

(Edited the title above as I have another question, on last post below by me right now...)

Hi - I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these.

Our library has taken out a 1 year subscription with the service and encouraging us to use it, which is great because their audio book selection anyway is limited.

Once I download their software, it means that I can download to my computer audiobooks and, apparently, transfer it to an MP3 or iPod player as well...

this seems like an absolutely wonderful service, as I'll be able to download them to my computer and be able to transport the audio books then in my car, to my bed, etc... I love listening to them while I fall asleep or have a sleepless night, etc...

Anybody try this yet? I'm guessing while this is new here, it's been offered a while in more advanced civilizations elsewhere in this country, lol...

[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I llove listening to them though. I do not have an Ipod. Is this a free service as if our library started it I would sure get an ipod.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

And you don't need to spend all that $$$ on an iPod either, an MP3 player for well under $100 will work just as well, happily!

Their introduction also tells you online specifically what different players have been tested & work with their format, happily - there's a very wide range of players and prices.

The only other thing I need to check before I decide to buy one is if the Recordings for the Visually Impaired has something similar... my DH can take out their recordings, but they're all on tape and you have to use their special recorders.

4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I want to try the Overdrive, but I have an iPod and that doesn't work with the library downloads. It is some issue with Digital Rights and Apple products. Darn.

Overdrive DOES work with many other MP3 players, though.

So I'm looking into getting a SanDisk Sansa Express MP3 player. You can get a 1GB for $34.00 or 2GB for $41.00 thru Amazon. Lots of other sites sell them, too. A guy I work with has one and he loves it. He doesn't listen to audiobooks, but his wife has one also, and she does listen to audiobooks. She loves it. It's really small (fits in your pocket). It also has an FM receiver, so you can listen to the radio, and functions as a digital recorder.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed. Some people love it, some hate it. The guy I work with is quite a techie, so I trust him. And the price is right. I like the FM receiver part, too.

I currently do listen to audiobooks on my iPod. I just have to go about it the "long" way. I've listened to dozens of books. I check out an audiobook from the library, then rip the CD's onto my computer just as if they were music CD's. Then I put them in a Smart Playlist and listen away. Love my audiobooks!!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I was thinking of an MP3 player anyway, I don't need all the bells & whistles of an iPod... plus my daughter got the latest 18 months ago, and it lasted exactly a year (battery wore out)... so a bit leery of spending the $$ on it since audiobooks are what I mainly want to use it for. Who knows, down the line tho......... LOL!

Thanks, I'll look at that model!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

6. mezombie

mezombie Member

If you have a laptop, you could listen to them at home in bed with your computer speakers.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

unfortunately I don't have a laptop........ so for me right now, an MP3 player is definitely the lower cost... plus easier to take with me in car, to bed, wherever.

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The SanDisk Sansa MP3 player doesn't have wires to connect between it and your CPU. It has a USB connection! It looks just like a thumb drive (flash drive). You stick it straight into your USB port on your CPU and drag and drop songs, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.

The guy I work with says he loves it for working out or running because it just fits in his pocket. Jostling it doesn't make any difference.

I love my iPod and I'm still figuring out what all it will do. So far I've figured out:

1) How to put my own music CD's onto it. I also get music CD's from the library and rip those onto my computer.
    2) How to load audiobooks from the library. Have listened to MANY books this way.
    3) How to download free podcasts from NPR (Fresh Air, This American Life, etc).
    4) How to put photos onto it and use it instead of a "brag book".

The Sansa is more compact than the iPod and I will be able to download directly from the library with Overdrive. Woo Hoo! The Sansa doesn't have a big screen, so I think I will be able to do all the above EXCEPT for the photo part. That's okay. I just want to be able to listen.

It looks like you CAN get wire connections if you want to with the Sansa. That would be for charging in your car or charging directly from an outlet. Otherwise, you just plug it into your USB port to manage the files as well as to charge it. Pretty slick!

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2008]
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The SanDisk Sansa e250 is another mp3 player I am looking at. It has a bigger screen than the Sansa Express (might be better for these old eyes, lol). Downside is that it doesn't connect through USB port. You have to use a wire connection. That really shouldn't be a big deal, though. I'm used to that with my iPod.

I found the Sansa e250 at Amazon for $39.99 for a 2GB player.

I'm still reading reviews on both. I know another guy at work who bought one of these for himself and liked them so much he bought them for his whole family. I'll talk to both guys at work tomorrow and get more info. Sansa Express vs Sansa e250. Hmmm.

BTW, I found the Sansa Express 1GB at the Best Buy site for $24.99. Pretty good deal!
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm browing my library's selection, they must've signed up for the lowest # of books/ minimum slection, as there's not a lot compared to what the library offers in my old hometown, LOL; granted, they're doing it on a trial basis to see how many use it...

Has anyone tried ? - they look like they have the best deal price-wise..........

many thanks again!

11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have NO idea how they work. Do you load things up straight into them like a recorder. That $39 one sounds as if I could get one. I had no idea IPods cost a lot of money I thought they were like $40....I live in the past!

Love Annie
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

the books download onto your computer........... with the one they're talking about up above, it fits right into the USB port.

$40 for an iPod - LOLOL, take a look, you'll be shocked!!!

- they are very expensive comparatively. While most who buy them love them, and they work great while the battery's charged, it's a rip-off when it runs down as you cannot recharge, and a new one is at least $125; or buy a guarantee for $60 and pay another $60 about to then get it replaced. At least that was the situation when my daughter's 'died'. From what she and I read, the batteries only do last about a year...

I think they can get away with it because most who are buying them are ready to buy the newest greatest even more fully featured iPod.

Heck, I can't even figure out what to do with everything that came with my computer 4 years later hahaha. So don't feel bad, I'm really not 'with it' either!

13. victoria

victoria New Member

I have a question - I was looking at the online description thru our library as to what devices are supported, and the Sansas are of course, but, they say they do not support "bookmarking"...

What does this mean? That I can't find where I stopped it? Or will have problems getting back to where I was?

Come to think of it, for those of who have used it for the audiobook purpose, how easy IS it to find where you left off... some cd books have very long time periods, others have as little as 3 minutes. Both have their annoyting qualities, lol, but just wondering...

And, any other opinions on mp3 players?

14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

How you are? As a suggestion, "Craigslist" has an "Apple

Forum" where by you can get on line and ask these nice

Geeks any question on "Apple or Mac Stuff" and they are

very knowledgable! They are, like me, unable to find a date

on Saturday night so turn to the web for companionship and

recognition! Have a whirl at them! (Gen tech info as well)!

15. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

A much simpler solution to your dilemma would be to see if your library carries Playaways.

Playaways are pre-loaded digital audiobooks. It is a little mini-mp3 player with one book already on it. They are about 1" x 2" (a bit bigger than a matchbox) and fairly thin.

You check them out just like checking out a regular book or CD. My library has quite a few of them on the shelves. More and more titles are coming out all the time in Playaway format.

All you have to provide is the headphones, and you can get a cheap pair of Sony headphone at Target for $10.

It would be a good way to see if you even like listening to audiobooks and you don't have to buy an MP3 player. If you want to know more about them, just google Playaway.

If your library doesn't carry them, ask them if they would be willing to transfer them from another library. They really are a good alterative if you don't have an MP3 player. That would also give you more time to figure out which MP3 player would be best for you. Try the Playaways!
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

twinma - no they don't. I love audio books, have been listening to them for years... I am looking for an inexpensive solution for my 'addiction', as I'm moving to Mexico, but still retaining a permanent address here - so figured downloading via computer is the best possibility. thus all my questions.

The Sansa isn't that expensive so it's worth a try, I'm not picky as to features; just not sure how it'll work. I guess I can ask my library maybe if they know, they have (I think) somebody who can maybe at least find out answers to questions... or talk to somebody at a place like BestBuy.

My daughter has an iPod, she says it starts wherever she left off if she stops it. But I listen to fall asleep/while I fall asleep, so have to backtrack ... that was why my questions about how it all worked, if it was like audio cds.

Many thanks - aren't you supposed to be on vacation???

17. victoria

victoria New Member

I found a comparison list, some may find this helpful:

altho it looks like if I fall asleep while listening (which happens every night), I will have to do it the old fashioned fast-forward or backtrack way. But that makes it sort of like cassette tapes, which imho was easier to find what I'd missed...

18. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've never seen that feature anyway. This is the only MP3 player I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Bookmarking sounds like it would be handy.

I have my audiobooks loaded just like they are music CD's. I don't know how to get them into the "Audiobooks" folder. When I stop listening and start it up again, it picks back up where I left off.

The thing is that I am listening to CD's in my car on my commute, too. Then I listen to the same book on my iPod at work. So I am always going back and forth between actual CD's and the iPod. When I leave my car in the morning to go into work, I make a mental note of the disk and track I was on and then go to that same place on the iPod. I've made it a bit of a game to see if I can remember where I was. Like this morning I was on Disk 6, track 20. So I thought 6-20, oh, Jill's birthday. Little goofy tricks like that.

If I decide to listen to music, I have to remember to turn off the "shuffle" feature, or else I get a chapter of Dean Koontz following a Talking Heads song. Not cool.

To go back and forth, you just press the arrow keys and they work like FF or REW. You can go back just a little bit by holding the button down for a few seconds, or go back an entire track by pressing the arrow quickly. I'm not sure if that's how other MP3's work, but that's how the iPod works. It's easy to go forward or back.

The iPod has a nice screen so you can see the names of the tracks and disks. I'm not sure if you could see the same thing on the little Sansa screen.

That was an interesting link you posted. Thanks for sharing that! Good info.

I'm glad to hear you like audio books, too. I've been hooked on them for years, too. Do you have any favorite authors? I love Dean Koontz. I like Sue Grafton, too, even though it's pretty lightweight stuff. I just finished The Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. I liked that one.

Yes, I was on vacation, but I'm back. Strange vaca. Sick kid, lost luggage, stuck in the Lincoln Memorial while a nasty storm raged outside. Glad to be home. Things have been nuts work-wise since I got back, so I haven't been able to post much. By the time I'm home, I'm just too tired! I'm quite tired right now, so I hope this post makes sense. I'll re-read it tomorrow. For now, time for bed....