New...question re: extreme morning fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ramamama, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Ramamama

Ramamama New Member

My doc mentioned FMS after ruling out RA and lupus with blood tests. I had a flare of some sort 2 weeks ago with major pain in hands, various other joints and muscles. Now the pains have pretty much disappeared, and I am left with severe fatigue and weakness (I feel shaky internally, but can't see externally.) I have had extreme morning fatigue since my son was born (17 months), but it lessens somewhat after lunch, and I feel my best at night. I seem to sleep well (don't awaken at night, fall asleep quickly) but even after 12 hours of sleep I have a hard time staying awake in the mornings.

Any ideas what is going on with me? The weak feeling is new to me in the last 2 weeks, and it's almost unbearable. I can't get anything done.

I'm going to ask my doc for a thyroid test. Any other ideas? Does it sound like CFS? All that's left of my pain is slight stiffness/pain in hands and fingers. Just extreme fatigue and feel weak just holding the phone sometimes.

Thanks,
    Rachele
  2. Sra

Sra New Member

Hello,
    I have not been diagnosed with FM, but went to the doctor with similar symptoms. After all the tests he found I had a potassium deficiency which was causing alot of the pain in my arms and wrists, and well all over...I also had a slightly low thyroid. I am now on Synthroid and it helps, but I am still so tired in the mornings. I get a burst of energy in the afternoon but around 5 or 6 I get very fatigued again. Bits of pain come and go now, but is better when I try to eat potassium rich foods along with my suppliments. I also can relate to the weak feeling. I would definitly get a thyroid test if I were you. I am also looking forward to reading your responses to this since you are so similar to me.
    Wish I were more help,
    Sra
  3. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Rachele:

I keep a journal on falares and pain lkevels/fatigue. One pattern I have noticed about myself is that after any type of flare and moderate pain I am more easily fatigued and usually have most of my fatigue in the morning for several days aftera flare. The symptoms you describe are similiar, I have minor pain after the flare eases up but alot of fatigue and fog too. If you haven't had your thyroid tested I would definatley have that done and your hormone levels as well, perhaps they are off since you the birth of your son. I don't know if you are on any vitamins but you will see here that many people try different things. After checking with your doctor perhaps a high B vitamin would be helpful. I also use Co-Q10 and have noticed an improvement in my energy levels. Also malic acid and Magnesium are good for pain and muscle achiness. Do a board search on the top of the page see what you come up with. Type in Fatigue I'm sure you will find Many many postings. Hope you are feeling more perky soon. Keep us posted .

Suz
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I have had this problem most of my life - always had FM - until just recently. Since I have made several major changes I'm not sure why I'm so much better upon waking. Here's what I have changed:

1) Gave into "backwards biological clock" and now stay up, feeling fine, until around 5:00 or 6:00 AM and sleep most of the day. Not many can do this, however.

2) Changed diet to no-sugar, no carb.

3) Started taking 400 mg. Magnesium before going to bed and now get 8 hrs continual sleep. But if you are already getting the uninterrupted sleep, this may not be your answer - however, are you getting RESTFUL sleep? I wasn't, but now I am.

4) Started drinking lots of water and using sea salt. I don't like it in the water, so as well as using it on my food, I lick it off my hand.

I no longer need a good 2 hours to become functional and unless I've had particulary trying (physically) day I no longer need that nap.

JoAnn
  5. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

Wow, the same things that have helped JoAnn are helping me also (except sleeping late, I would if I could, but I wake early no matter what).

I started a no-sugar, no-carb diet a few weeks ago and am
    amazed at how much better I feel, especially in the morning!

I didn't have any stomach or digestive problems, but had read that fatigue can be caused by yeast and/or fungus. The article said to try the diet for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. If so, then you have a yeast/fungus problem internally (most likely intestinal).

I'm pretty sure that I do because after being on the diet a couple of weeks, I ate some rice pudding (all carbs) and got really fatigued after I ate it and the next AM as well.

Now I need to see my doctor to be tested and get an anti-fungal. I'm also taking olive leaf extract and will rotate that with caprylic acid,oregano oil and berberine complex(all antifungals).

Also, I've starting taking magnesium with malic acid and drinking water with seasalt. Drinking lots of water helps get rid of the toxins.

Hope this helps. Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2003]
  6. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

YOU HAVE CAME TO A GREAT PLACE FOR SUPPORT AND LOTS OF INFORMATION. I TOO HAVE THE " MORNING FATIGUE " ....
    IT SEEMS TO GO ALONG WITH CFS AND/OR FIBROMYALGIA.

I DIDN'T SLEEP WELL, UNTIL MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON KLONIPEN, AND NOW, I ONLY GET ABOUT 4 HOURS SLEEP. BUT..IT IS THE DEEP SLEEP THAT WE MUST HAVE....I STILL HAVE WHAT I CALL
    "SLEEPY SPELLS" IN THE AFTERNOONS, OR EVENINGS, AND IT A
    "MUST" TO LAY DOWN,OR I FEEL DIZZY.

I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA,AND NEUROPATHY PAIN.. MY HANDS WERE FALLING ASLEEP WHEN I WOULD HOLD THE PHONE,,,,THEN IT
    GRADUALLY BECAME SO BAD, WHEN I WOULD LAY DOWN EVEN MY ARMS WOULD FALL ASLEEP, AND MORE SYMPTOMS, KEEP COMMING.
    MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON NEURONTIN, AND IT HAS HELPED SO MUCH.

TRY, TYPEING IN THE MESSAGE SEARCH,(TOP LEFT, OF OUR SITE)
    JUST ABOUT ANYTHING,SUCH AS,,, MORNING FATIGUE ,,, AND YOU CAN SEE POST'S, THAT MEMBERS HAVE TALKED ABOUT,,,,,, IN ADDITION TO POSTING QUESTIONS.
    THIS HAS BEE A GREAT HELP TO ME, AND I USE THE MESSAGE SEARCH VERY OFTEN.

AGAIN,,WELCOME, & TAKE CARE, LADYBUG2
  7. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

This was one of my most prominent symptoms when I was sickest. In my case, one of the things happening was that my adrenal glands were low in the a.m. and working well at night, which is the reverse of the norm. Have your Dr. do a saliva adrenal function test. I couldn't even get up in the morning, not til about 2. I am much better now. One of the things which helps me to avoid this feeling is a low carb, no sugar diet. I especially avoid carbs like breads and cereals in the morning. This diet has turned things around!
    Madelyn
  8. Ramamama

Ramamama New Member

Thanks for the responses. I am going to add the adrenal stress saliva test to my requests, on top of the thyroid tests. Thank you!

[ advertisement ]