New questionnaire study by Dr. Jason's group--looking for participants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Oct 6, 2011.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

Dr. Leonard Jason's group at dePaul University in Chicago has started a new study to better define what the criteria for ME/CFS should be. It consists of a questionnaire that will seek to find out which of the current criteria a person best fits into. There are two master's degree students who will be carrying out this study. At the recent Ottawa conference of the IACFS/ME, he asked me if I would help to publicize the study.

I have known Dr. Jason for several years. He is a psychologist and an epidemiologist, and he and his group have made major contributions to our understanding of ME/CFS. I encourage people with ME/CFS to volunteer to participate in this study. It will involve responding to their questionnaire, and my understanding is that it will be possible for those who participate to find out their individual results in terms of how they match the alternative criteria.

To get the details, you can contact the team by email at DePaulMECFSResearch@gmail.com You can also contact them by phone at the number below. This is an opportunity to help to develop more focused criteria for ME/CFS, which will ultimately help to enable more focused research and better diagnosis, which is in the interest of all of us.

ME/CFS Research Team
    DePaul University
    990 W. Fullerton Ave., Suite 3100
    Chicago, IL 60614

Rich
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Do you know whether they are looking for people with only CFIDS/ME or would others with associated conditions be accepted. I would think that other conditions might muddy the waters.

Love, Mikie
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mikie.

I don't know. The ethics committee at de Paul has required that detailed information about this study be given only by those conducting it, in order not to have contradictory information out which could affect the results of the study. So I suggest that any questions about it be addressed directly to Abby at DePaulMECFSResearch@gmail.com or at

ME/CFS Research Team
    DePaul University
    990 W. Fullerton Ave., Suite 3100
    Chicago, IL 60614

phone: 773.325.4900

Best regards,

Rich
  4. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

People outside the US can also take part