New, Questions like what is ME and what is DD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnThreeSixteen, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I keep seeing ME and I know it is something similar to CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) but don't know what the ME stands for. Also, what is DD? Dreadful diagnosis? And Dx is Diagnosis? Maybe for newbies when using abreviations posters could (spell it out in parentheses)?

And another question that I hope isn't against the board rules (which I haven't read yet, lol) but so many people say that their Dr. will not prescribe pain meds yet so many posters are TAKING CONTROL of their illness and do SO MUCH research (good for you guys, thank you for setting the example for us newbies) so why not order pain meds online without a prescription? I ordered my Tramadol online from a US pharmacy in Baltimore. There is a short questionaire asking about meds currently taking, diagnosis and such and I was approved to receive my Tramadol. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I'm finding Dr.'s to be fairly useless with this illness.
  2. thenewme

thenewme New Member

Hi, I am sorry I can not help with the ME I know it is some kind of disease but I don't know the full name, and I think dd is for dreaded disease. My question is there anyway you could give me info on how to caontact the pharmacy in Baltimore? This would be a big help, I have my own pain meds which help me alot my dr is very understanding about my fibro, my problem is my husband has had 2 back operations and is in pain all the time he still goes out everyday and is able to do all he wants to.

But the pain gets so bad for him that he can not straighten his body out, he does not like taken any of my meds because he knows I need them. His doc who he really likes does not like given pain meds, the only time he will is when my husband falls and can not get up, and needs a cane or walker, and then he gives him 8 pills vicoden only he worries about addiction.

My husband does not drink and is not ever been into taken any drugs and is not an addictive personality at all. So there are some days he is so bad that I make him take a vicoden and he will only take half which is not much help because he does not want to use mine up. He has done physical therapy and every thing else out there to help pain nothing works. I think this is just going to be on going cronic pain for him and he needs to have pain meds, which I know he will only take on and as needed basis.

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated thank you hugs Barbara
  3. JohnThreeSixteen

I read the rules and I can't post my email address and I'm not sure what the pharmacy is doing is legal??? And there is a possibility someone could be hurt by posting links to pharmacies providing medication without a prescription, so I would suggest you do your own search like I did. There are tons of them out there and I'm surprised no one mentions it on this board.

I really need to find a Dr. who CARES and is knowledgeable about FMS. It would be nice to have an advocate as I feel pretty alone in this so far, you know?
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

John, welcome. I won't address your question about pain meds because I don't take them, but ME often stands for Myalgic Encephalomylitis which CFS is called in Canada and the UK (although some dispute it being the same). You will see CFS-ME and ME-CFS or just one or the other. We all can relate, whatever it's called. ProHealth and some others want to change the name from CFS to CFS-ME (or the other way around, I can't recall). I'm not in favor of the ME part but they outnumber me and I do want to change CFS to something more respectful.

DD can be anything you like: D*mn Disease, Darned Disease, Dreadful Disease, etc. And yes, dx is diagnosis. Abx is anti-biotic. Somewhere on this site is a glossary of abbreviations that some kind and wise person wrote. Maybe they'll come along and steer you to it. If not, you'll catch on soon enough.

We must take charge of our illness because there's really no one else to do it. There is much good info here but of course, use your own head. Every body is different and what might do wonders for me, might make you worse. No way to get out of research with this stuff.

Here is a little bit on ME from Google:

"Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (abbreviated ME) is a chronic, inflammatory, primarily neurological disease that is multisystemic, affecting the central nervous system (CNS), immune system and cardiovascular system, the endocrinological system and muscoskeletal system. ME can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including changes in sensory tolerance, visual problems, exertional muscle weakness, difficulties with coordination and speech, severe fatigability, cognitive impairment, problems with balance, subnormal or poor body temperature control and pain. ME will cause a degree of impaired mobility and disability in all cases. The degree of impairment and complexity depends on the degree of diffuse brain injury and end organ involvement."

As you can see, it's pretty much what we know as CFS.

By the way, DO read the Rules and Regs. It might save you a lot of frustration in the long run. Ah, I see you did.

Take care,

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2008]
  5. JohnThreeSixteen

Hi Marta, thanks for answering. Ok, now I understand the ME part. I have been diagnosed with FMS (Fibromyalgia
    Syndrome) in March (or April?). I've been having symptoms for a few years, but it recently got much worse.

I DID read the rules and understand why my questions about acquiring medications on the internet might steer someone in the wrong direction. However, with as much research and internet use knowledge you guys seem to have, I doubt it is a "secret" for many here. And I see that it is common for alot of patients that their Dr's are reluctant to prescribe pain meds for various reasons and that alot of us suffer in pain because of this. I would bet that 99.99% of us are not classic drug seeking patients...we just want to freakin function as most people on this earth have responsibilities we have to fulfill and when these pains come on suddenly, uncontrollably and with no prior warning in spite of our daily plans and then we ALSO have a Dr. who won't is extremely frustrating and even depressing. It contributes to the feeling of being a victim of these illnesses. So I thought I would address it. (Please don't ban me Admin!)
  6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I would get your husband to change doctors. He is not helping, why pay him?

I strongly believe that we should address the pain as there seems to be a biochemical cascade with our pain threshold that gets lowered by not addressing pain.

I went for 4 years without pain meds and I really feel that I would have not gotten this bad, if I had addressed the pain sooner.

The research (from this board's library) seems to back that up. Subtance P and our pain threshold gets lower and lower and the cause seems to be uncontrolled pain.

I would also do an internet search for pain meds. I have ordered from New Zealand and never had any problems with quality. Everything I have ordered came in the original manufacturers packaging unopened. I think I ordered from Yugoslavia too.

But, the best thing is to find a doctor to help your husband. Preserve the health you have now.
  7. MrsMarvls

MrsMarvls New Member

Marti ...

You said: "I strongly believe that we should address the pain as there seems to be a biochemical cascade with our pain threshold that gets lowered by not addressing pain."

I have been wondering about this very thing as my symptoms and flares seem to be getting worse and coming more often. My rheumatologist is very understanding and when first diagnosed with FMS in June 07, asked me if I used anything more for the pain than ibuprophen (which works pretty well but will probably cause me to bleed to death if I ever have to have surgery). My attitude was that if a milder medication worked, why go stronger? However, I am going to have to meet with him again soon (to discuss some blood work as well) and get something a little stronger. I will occasionally use some Vicodin that I have left over from a surgical procedure earlier this year ... 1/2 a tablet often works fine ... so I will see what he says. But I think what you say here rings very true and we need to be proactive in this area.

Mary Ann
    a k a MrsMarvls
  8. JohnThreeSixteen

I also agree about managing pain! That's why I ordered my meds online because I was having a really painful time and didn't even know what I had, and I happened to have two tramadol left from something and took them and was SO relieved. But when I was diagnosed, I went to a new Dr. because I don't have insurance and was hoping that if something horrible was wrong with me...I could apply for insurance and they would only be checking my normal Dr. records.

I make sure now that I can get a decent nights sleep without thrashing around from spasms and twitches and when it hurts...I take the lowest dose of Tramadol I can...25-50 mg seems to work so far. I have been having some very good days *whew*