New Research on Depression May Help Fibro, Too

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, May 26, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

The Health Section of today's Los Angeles Times reports on research to develop a new class of anti-depressant drugs that target not just the symptoms of depression but also its causes. As I read the article, I was surprised to see references to cortisol levels and Substance P. There was also some mention of pain, though the article seemed to regard the pain as a side effect of depression rather than the other way around. (I suspect either causative direction could be valid in any given case. The problem many of us with fibro face is the *assumption* that our pain results from depression and not the reverse.)

Anyway, as I read the article, I found myself getting kind of excited by the idea that research into depression might open the door to greater understanding of fibromyalgia--and maybe even to treatments that are more effective and have fewer side effects. There is a very big market for anti-depressant drugs, which gives drug companies a big incentive to put money into more research.

Wouldn't it be great if that research simultaneously came up with some answers for FM and CFIDS? Seems like a real possibility to me. In any event, given past discussion on this board about lack of research on fibro and CFIDS, I thought others might be interested in the article.

To find the story, do a Google search for "Los Angeles Times" (without the quotation marks). Then use the search engine on the Times home page to look for "Searching for the Next Prozac" (again, without the quotation marks). Click on the article title to get to the story itself.

Note: The Los Angeles Times keeps stories online for free only for seven days. So if you're interested, I suggest that you go to the site and download the story as soon as possible, even if you don't have a chance to read it right away.

--Laura R.M.
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I found this interesting. But I want to clear up something - most of us know our pain IS NOT a result of depression. At least I know mine isn't. I think depression can be a RESULT of pain - who wouldn't feel depressed when you're in constant pain and fatigue? Some researchers feel part of the pain we have is a result of low seratonin levels. Depression in some people is also from low seratonin levels. Perhaps there is some sort of link. One day, in my lifetime hopefully, they will be able to fit all the puzzle pieces together! Thanks for letting us know about this article and the research!!!!

Annette2 :)
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I was *not* suggesting that pain from fibro or CFIDS is the result of depression. I agree that the depression is a natural result of always being in pain. However, I do believe there are some people who *don't* have these conditions but *are* depressed who may get pain in conjunction with or as a result of the depression. I also think it's very possible that neurological and/or chemical changes can cause *both* pain and depression, either together or separately.

I hope nobody felt hurt or offended by my post. That's the last thing in the world I wanted.

--Laura R.M.
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Perhaps substance P not only effects depression but fibromyalgia also (and seperately) and could be used to treat both.
    Wouldn't that be wonderful?
    I do not suffer from depression but know so many people do .
  5. spatialbean

spatialbean New Member

Hi,

Your post was not the least bit offensive, and very interesting indeed!

Thank you!

Claudia
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There has been a lot of hoopla lately about a next generation of the SSRI-type antidepressants. They are supposed to be like the SSRI's but with fewer side effects. I know some people get relief from antidepressants, but personally, I do not want to take them. I do hope that this research yields some answers to our problems, though. Thanks for sharing this.

Love, Mikie