New rheumy good, but news isn't

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Nov 18, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I saw him yesterday. He says it's definatly Fibro, but it may also be RA. Somewhere deep inside I was expecting to find out I had something that was easily curable, but now I must deal with the fact that I have something that is for the rest of my life. I don't know if I am ready yet. There are many tests the doc wants to order that won't be covered by my insurance. Paying out of pocet will be a real burden, but I feel it's best to have them done. He is starting with a bone scan to see if there is any inflammation (therefore RA) Have any of you had one? What is it like. Do any of you have RA? The Arthritis message board is not as visited as this one and I would like to know the real facts about living with RA. I already know enough about fibro. I know it's not a death sentance, but at 37 it feels close. I feel like such a burden on my family(busy hubby and 3 kids 5,3&1)
    The doctor switched me from Ultracet to Ultram. Neither seem to be doing the trick, but he wants me to take the ultram 3 to 4 times a day so it is always there. We'll see. He also switched me from zanaflex to flexeril at night for sleeping. I could not fall asleep at all last night and still woke up frequently. Maybe nerves, maybe not. Anyway, I am rambling.
    Please i could use any help you have to offer. you have all been so wonderful so far.
    Thanks,
    Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I saw him yesterday. He says it's definatly Fibro, but it may also be RA. Somewhere deep inside I was expecting to find out I had something that was easily curable, but now I must deal with the fact that I have something that is for the rest of my life. I don't know if I am ready yet. There are many tests the doc wants to order that won't be covered by my insurance. Paying out of pocet will be a real burden, but I feel it's best to have them done. He is starting with a bone scan to see if there is any inflammation (therefore RA) Have any of you had one? What is it like. Do any of you have RA? The Arthritis message board is not as visited as this one and I would like to know the real facts about living with RA. I already know enough about fibro. I know it's not a death sentance, but at 37 it feels close. I feel like such a burden on my family(busy hubby and 3 kids 5,3&1)
    The doctor switched me from Ultracet to Ultram. Neither seem to be doing the trick, but he wants me to take the ultram 3 to 4 times a day so it is always there. We'll see. He also switched me from zanaflex to flexeril at night for sleeping. I could not fall asleep at all last night and still woke up frequently. Maybe nerves, maybe not. Anyway, I am rambling.
    Please i could use any help you have to offer. you have all been so wonderful so far.
    Thanks,
    Maria
  3. BonBons

BonBons New Member

sorry the news was not good. I always like to think, too, that someday I'll be well. My aunt has RA and is also going deaf and blind. She is a real sweetheart at 68 years young and is dealing with it all well. She cannot take most medications because of kidney problems and she uses an over the counter rub which she says helps a lot. Also, I've seen other members get relief from epsom salts baths. Go take one now! (kidding, but not) Relief, love and joy to you today and every day. BonBons
  4. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Hi Maria, I don't post too much on the FM board anymore, but I came here & saw your post, don't know how much help I can be..If you check my profile you will see that I also have a host of other ailments..
    First of all, I have had a bone scan already..In fact, I have had two..Basically, you don't even have to get undressed..You lay on a table, and the scanner is above you, it starts at the top and works it's way, all the way down to your feet..It really doesn't take too long, maybe 1/2hr..The hardest part for me was to lay on my back straight out..Forgot to mention the first part - you are usually given a shot in your vein (arm) approx. 2hrs before they do the test..If I remember correctly, they tell you to drink some fluids in those two hours, you don't have to drink a whole lot, but they want you to drink something..
    Do you have any other autoimmune diseases?? Have you had lab work with a positive ANA?? Just questions, to ask..How about your SED Rate??
    Please TRY not to get yourself all "worked up"..There are many autoimmune diseases that people live a good life with..I know the pain can be bad..If you read my profile you will see I have AIH (autoimmune hepatitis), which is a chronic condition, I will have this the rest of my life, but as long as it is managed with medication, (as it has been in almost 2yrs now), I will be able to keep my liver and probably end up of dying of something else..
    Do you believe in taking prescription medication, if so, ask dr. about an anti-inflammatory drug..ALTHOUGH THEY DO COME WITH SIDE EFFECTS, but then again, almost everything we put in our bodies does..I'm sorry I went on so long..
    Wishing you the best.......Take Care.......Donna