New Scottish Castle Pic can you guess

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Feb 21, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,this one is gonna be dead easy for you.But I really wanted to post this one because of the spectacular scenery.Don't know if it's as amazing as Eilean Donan Castle I posted a few weeks back,but it runs it very close.What do you think????

PS Definitely much easier than the David Livingstone Heritage Centre pic I posted last week,"I presume?",lol.
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Now thats livin High on a hill! Kool Castle! I'll have to look it up!,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I found it, but I won't give the name away yet. What a spectacular castle. It looks like some of the castles found in Wales. You're right; that was much easier than the David Livinstone Centre.

I learned that Mary, Queen of Scots stayed there, that it was once attacked by William Wallace, and that it was used as a location for Mel Gibson's HAMLET.

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,what a spectacular setting.
    Thanks for keeping shtum a little linger Ken.Excellent clue about the Mel Gibson movie BTW.
    My aunt used to stay in the small tourist/fishing town about 2 miles north of this Castle & I used to go there for my summer holidays between the ages of about 10 & 15,a beautiful town in the NE of Scotland,but amazingly I never visited this Castle,wasn't on my must-see list at that age,lol.
    Good night everyone,it's nearly midnight over here,perhaps Ken will be kind enough to give out the answer later.
    I will post in the morning with an interesting story about the nearby town.

5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Wow, I found it after Ken's clue. (Thanks Ken :)). Just read up on its history. Very fascinating! Maybe we should let it go longer so others get the chance to read about it. Thanks for sharing the pic Paul. Haven't talked to ya in a while, hope you get a good night's rest! Kim :)
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've been there twice, its breathtaking, my favourite castle.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Enjoying your Castle Series Much! Keep'em coming if

you can. They are all so historically colourful!

I don't know where in Scotland it is but, I'm sure it's

one the English Soldiers said, "let's just go around it

and come back later"!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

I rarely find such.....but since everyone else is letting others have fun finding it also.....I will be "silent".

Very interesting.......Susan
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

when you were on holiday there, did you go to the bird sanctuary out on the cliffs between the town and the castle, it's amazing but the stink!!!!!! I hoped to see Puffins the two times I was there but never did.

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Had to spill the beans finally. I found it by doing a Google Image search on "Scottish castle on promontory."

I'm enjoying this Scottish castle game, Paul.

Rosiebud: I eat Puffins every morning! (the breakfast cereal, not the bird).

12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

dont get Puffin cereal over here, bet they're good.

13. sisland

sisland New Member

I Found it Last night also! By Googleing "Famous Scottish Castels" There were alot More of them also! Wow How Interesting a place you Live in! It would Be so Much fun to Exsplore all These Old Castles!,,,,,,,,,,,,Cheers!,,,,,,,,,,S
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Well done to all of you,but I think Ken just managed to win this one.
    Yes of course it's Dunnotar Castle,just south of Stonehaven,or Stonehenge as me & my cousins from Stonehaven used to nickname it,lol.
    Stonehaven is a beautiful town in the NE of Scotland,& is about 15m south of Aberdeen.
    I thing thats a cue for a song ,don't you rockgor-The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen.My late granda used to play the accordian & this was one of his favourite songs so everytime I hear it it gives me a smile & reminds me of him.

Hi Rosie,yeh the scenery around the Castle is absolutely amazing & no i didn't visit the bird sanctuary.Was normally too busy going fishing wi my cousin,playing tennis,football,putting(golf) or using the trampolines down next to the amusement arcade at the seafront.Also used to love sitting at the harbour watching the small boats coming in & out,that was very picturesque.Oh & stuffing our faces with cones from the icecream van,lol.

Well Ken,what would you like for your prize,lol??????
    Two options for you this week.
    First one is quite topical & seeing as Dunnotar Castle was used as a location for the 1990 film Hamlet which starred Mel Gibson & Glenn Close I'll let you choose a Shakespeare book of your choice.PS I'm hoping you've got them all so it will save me the price of a book,lol.
    The second choice is an Arbroath Smokie.Rosie will know what this is but don't know if anyone else would have heard of it.Well,down the NE coast a little is the fishing/seaside town of Arbroath which is famous for it's,yeh,you've guessed it,Arbroath Smokies.It's a smoked fish,normally haddock & I think they taste absolutely delicious.
    The choice is yours Ken,lol.

Wikipedia says about dunnotar Castle:
    Dunnottar Castle is a ruined medieval fortress located upon a rocky outcrop on the north-east coast of Scotland, about two miles south of Stonehaven. Its recognizable architecture is 13th century, but an earlier castle was built on this site by Caledonian tribes by 84 AD.
    The site, now owned by private interests but open to the public, is visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists annually.
    The ruins of the castle are spread over a three acre area virtually surrounded by sheer cliffs which drop to the North Sea 50 metres below. This L plan castle is accessed via a narrow strip of land joining the mainland and a steep path leading up to the massive gatehouse. The cliffs and headland formations which extend miles to the north and south are home to tens of thousands of pelagic birds, making this stretch of Scottish coast a notable bird sanctuary of northern Europe from the standpoint of total bird populations and diversity of species. The 1990 film Hamlet starring Mel Gibson and Glenn Close was shot there.

Hope you enjoyed.

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll go for the Arbroath Smokies. When I was a kid, my father would drive us up to the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota, where I lived, and we would eat smoked fish. It was delicious.

Besides, I used to teach HAMLET and already have an anthology of all of Shakespeare's plays.

Here's one for you, Paul: see if you can find the castle used in Roman Polanski's 1970 film of MACBETH. Hint: it's not in Scotland.
  16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I think you've caught me out on that one.Believe it was located in the Snowdonia area of Wales but can't find the name of the Castle.
    PS the Arbroath Smokies will be in the post to you shortly.Don't blame me if your postman gives you a strange look,lol.
  17. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,thought I would give you some interesting info about Stonehaven.
    Each New Year Stonehaven hosts the colourful & popular Fireballs ceremony.This is an old tradition dating back many years & attracts all the locals & many tourists.My aunt & her family used to love the annual Fireballs tradition.I only wish I had seen it but never visited her over the New Year holidays & seeing as she now lives back in Glasgow I'll probably never see it.

During Hogmanay festivities, the High Street of Stonehaven comes alive with crowds watching the ceremony, in which volunteers walking down the High Street swing huge balls of fire around and around at the ends of chains. The fireballs are finally thrown into the harbour.

As with most things historical the origin of the Fireballs tradition has various possible explanations with the main ones as follows:

1) On the one hand it is supposed that they were sun-charms or magical ceremonies intended to ensure the necessary supply of sunshine for men, animals and plants by parading fires which mimic on earth the source of light and heat in the sky. This may be called the solar theory.

2) On the other hand it is maintained that ceremonial fires were simply purificatory in intention, designed to destroy all harmful influences, whether personal like witches, demons and monsters or impersonal as a kind of pervading taint or corruption of the air. This may be called the purification theory.

More info on the Fireballs ceremony can be got at:

But I would definitely recommend checking out this Wikipedia link showing a stunning pic of Stonehaven Harbour:
  18. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Looks like a great place for mysterys, and imaginations!!
    Hero's, and villians, and fair damsels in distress!!

Just needs some Black Freisans!!
  19. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Oh, I just looked at the time, you are probably sleeping. Well, that info. on Stonehaven is so interesting. Love the Fireball tradition. The theories on its origin are interesting also. I bet that is something to see! All of the pictures you post are so beautiful. Maybe some day I will get to see one.

Hope you enjoyed your day. Tomorrow we are off to the local mountains to rent a cabin for the weekend. There is some snowfall up there today and tomorrow, so I am looking forward to getting out to throw snowballs and sled with my kids. My older son snowboards, I may have to try that some day. Hmmmmm....I don't know, I may just stick to skiing. Although I won't be doing that this time around. I actually have not skiied in a few years, my husband has a bum knee and I go in and out of bouts of fatique. Hope to try again soon.

Talk to ya soon, Kim :)
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Who knows, maybe you'll get to see the Fireballs festival one of these years.

I had a hard finding the MACBETH castle myself. But if you got to (a great movie site), do a search on Macbeth and then click on "filming locations" on the left hand side. It lists two castles. The one in Northumberland is famous, and it's the Macbeth castle.