New sensor scooters for nursing homes/assisted living/at home

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by TwoCatDoctors, Mar 4, 2010.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I wanted to put info up because the company that makes my electric scooter has now come out with a "sensor" for their scooters that is helpful in nursing homes/assisted living/at home. Many nursing homes and assisted living were not allowing scooters/power chairs because of residents running into other residents and hurting them and thus restricted to only wheelchairs. Here is an innovation to help and is being accepted in nursing homes/assisted living.

Also, I am not connected with the company in any way, except that I bought my scooter from them. I am always interested in new technology that may help disabled.

From the Article:

SmartSensor by Amigo
    Innovation and Technical Creativity

• Detects objects up to 30 inches ahead
    of the Amigo POV/scooter

• Gently slows forward speed bringing
    driver to gradual stop

• Sweeping arc front-end detection keeps
    driver and those in near proximity safe
    and shielded from impact

Provides Safe Solution

In 2005, Twining Village retirement community attempted to ban the use of POV/scooters because of injuries and damages sustained from residents driving their mobility
    aids. The court’s judgment stated there could be no ban of motorized POV/scooters from any part of their center – including the dining room – unless the residents were mentally or physically unfit to drive said vehicle. To provide a safe solution for retirement
    centers and residents, Amigo introduces the SmartSensor. Use of the SmartSensor promotes not only independent mobility – but more importantly – safe mobility. Residents retain their mobility with reduced risk of injury and remain confident in their driving, especially those with impaired depth perception or slower reflex responses.

FROM: http://www.myamigo.com/docs/common/smartsensor_1.pdf

If you want to take a look at the Smart Sensor Scooter above is the site--and realize it can be put on many of their models. This may be coming to other makers of scooters, but is start to help with some independence for our loved ones that are able to drive a scooter.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2010]
  2. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

what a great idea. Before I became a hospice nurse, I worked in long term care for over 13 years. I wish I had come up with this idea. There's nothing worse than someone who has been independent on the "outside" having to be banished to a wheelchair because the facility is too understaffed for the residents to be safe and walk independently.

This new products sounds like a god send and could potentially improve the quality of life for a lot of people.

Thanks for passing along this information. I'll be sure to pass it along to thers.
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The dealer where I bought my scooter had an open house yesterday with various reps from companies and I went to get the latest info from all that I'll pass on to our local disabled group in next week's meeting. I got a chance to speak with the company representative about the Smart Sensor scooter above.

He said that General Motors gave them input on the sensor in order to design it and work it out. I had no idea that this idea went that far up to G.M. to help in the development. There were many practice trials on prototypes until they came up with this one that worked very well for the electric scooters. BUT, they have not developed any sensor for power chairs.

And the extra good news is that for people that have the old make of scooter, the company now has made a kit that will allow the sensor to be retrofitted onto the old scooters--so people won't have to buy the new scooter to get it. That's really helpful. That means if I eventually end up in an nursing home/assisted living (I am disabled in the electric scooter), the company rep said they can retrofit a sensor onto my scooter so that I could keep and use my scooter in any facility. I had tried a wheelchair long before I ever got a scooter and it killed my arms and shoulders and would undoubtedly repeat that.

He said that many reasons caused this "sensor" innovation to come about. Discussion with nursing homes/independent living places disclosed that if a resident was talking to another resident in a scooter and happened to accidently lean on the scooter control panel, they could unwittingly get a scooter moving and cause injuries unintentionally. It had nothing to do with the scooter driver's inability. Plus they did have some scooter driver's that didn't make the turns and hit walls and knocked off chucks of plaster or pieces of corners of the wall, thus destroying the attractive look of the places.

[This Message was Edited on 03/13/2010]