New Song Lyrics #10

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thought maybe I'd start a new thread.
    Soul had posted a song on Thread #9 that hasn't been guessed yet.
    "Little Darling, the ice is slowly melting...."
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Would anyone like to do a variation on the song lyrics, like trying to see how many songs we can come up with that have ladies names in the title?

Here's one: Alice
    You might guess: Alice Blue Gown
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Haven't been up to posting the last few days. BG, you think of great topics. You must have
    been a cruise director in a former life. Never encountered the lyrics Soul posted. Sounds like
    a country western ballad.

Okee dokee, here are some lady songs written by men (most, if not all).

A is for Alice Blue Gown from the musical "Irene".
    B is for Barbara Allen, folk song
    C is for the 1930s number Chloe (Song of the South).

D is for Diana (Paul Anka).
    E is for Eileen from the operetta of the same name.
    F is for Fanny from the Broadway Show of the same name.

G is for Sweet Georgia Brown.
    H is for The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll (Bob Dylan)
    I is for Irene. Irene was a muscal about a century ago. One of its songs was titled
    Irene. And another was Alice Blue Gown which takes us back to where we started. In
    the 70s the show was revived on Broadway starring Debbie Reynolds and in England
    starring Julie Andrews.

Two great stars in the show biz firmament. I was lucky enough to see both of them
    on stage.

Rock
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Actually, What I had in mind was to think of a song that has a girl's name in the title, then post the name, then, let others guess the song title's with that name in them.

Example: I say "Alice" you answer with Alice Blue Gown or any other that you can think of.

Then you think of a name and post it, and others try to find a song with that name. Does that make any sense? :)
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Leah I don't know. I do love here comes the sun but don't remember if it had melting in it... might well be. If I try to sing it with that line it doesn't seem to fall into place though... hmmmm

Actually it wasn't me who posted that song. I just made up some lines. Lemme check who did post that song...

Windblade posted that song.

Gb nice idea! So what name are we at right now?

To follow up on Rocks Alphabet:

J is for Jolene that I remember in the version of Dolly Parton I think
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Any name you want to post is okay, doesn't have to be in alphabetical order.

Rock, you may be right about that. I seem to remember something about suggesting a game called "Dodge the Icebergs" .

Hummmm.....
  7. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Maria, I just met a girl named Mariaaaaaa lalalalalaaaaaa
    Maria, say it loud and'ts like music playing
    Say it soft and it's almost like praying, Maria
    I just met a girl named Mariaaaaaaaa

Yes the tewdewdew was guessed by Diane, it was Elvis's little sister. :p

Let's see so I have to come up with a new name now. A song with the name....... uhmmmmm Angie... And you have to come up with some of the lyrics, just saying the name of the song isn't enough :D

Ooooh and here's another name -Hermione- which I doubt anyone knows the song of but it's a beautiful song probably only die hard fan's know.
  8. rockgor

I know a song with Maria in the title: Maria. It's from West Side Story.

Lots of songs have only one word in the title and it's a woman's name: Ramona, Laura,
    Mandy, Dominique, Cecelia. And then there are some twofers: Billy Jean, Mary Lou.

GB, loved the "Dodge the Icebergs" quip. When Gordon was going through stuff
    and tossing a lot of it, he found a CD of music from the musical "Titanic". So far as
    I can tell it doesn't have a single song worth listening to. Amazing what folks will invest
    money in.

On the other hand, according to Wikipedia it ran for 800 performances and won 5 Tonys
    including best musical. Aaaaaamazing!

Freida, it's hard to identify anything in our freezers. ( We have a kitchen fridge and a
    porch fridge. Have no idea why.) Anyhoo, almost everything is wrapped in foil.

Soul, I read Dolly Parton's autobiograpy recently. She has a wonderful sense of humor.
    e.g., "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap."

Anybody know a song using the name of Euphemia? I found once recently when I
    was looking for something else. There's also a song for Minnie. And Puccini wrote an
    opera in which the heroine was named Minnie. The opera is set in California.

Rock
  9. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

There is a song with Minnie in the blues brothers. Minnie the moocher or something? Not sure of that last word... :p

The song Angie is I think of the Rolling Stones and the song with Hermione is a very early David Bowie song. Anyone recall any lyrics of these?

I think that the Hermione song doesn't even have the name Hermione in it... just the title is letter to Hermione...

It's a very poetic and gentle song. Let's see what I recall of it...

Letter to Hermione:

The hands that wrote this letter sweep the pillow clean
    Now rest your head and dream a treasured dream...
  10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Encore Encore

Angie.... your beautiful....

..... sacrifice....

no need to .....

goodbye.....
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  11. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Is that Simon and Garfunkel too or is it Cliff Richard or Elton John... hmmmm I hear it in my head but I'm not sure of who sang it.
  12. rockgor

"You fill up my senses like a night in the forest,
    like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain,"

The lyrics Diane posted are from Annie's Song, one of John Denver's best. Met him
    after a concert in 1967 when he was singing with the Chad Mitchell Trio and was
    not yet famous.

Kawinkadentally, Stephen Foster wrote a beautiful song titled "Gentle Annie".
    And Tommy Makem, the Irish Balladeer, wrote a song with the same title;
    also a melodious work.

Haven't checked, but I strongly suspect all these songs are on Youtube.

Goodbye

(song by the Italian composer Paolo Tosti). Caruso recorded it, and
    it appears in one of those screwball comedies from the 30s.

Rock
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Okay, My contribution will be in honor of Diane, the song is
    "My Diane". I don't remember the lyrics except for the words, "smile for me, my Diane".

The 'dodge the iceberg game' was in refenence to what Rock posted about my being a cruise director in a former life because I'm alway suggesting games.

I told him I was wondering if the cruise director on the "Titanic" might have suggested a game called "Dodge the Icebergs". I had a sinking feeling that might be the case. :)
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Can anyone think of a song with these names in the title?

Donna, Mary, Nancy, Kathleen, Jenny, Mandy, Sally.

(Remember, when you post a name, be sure you have a song in mind to post if no one else can come up with one.)
  15. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Mustang Sally by Wilson Pickett.

The version I'm familiar with and love is the cover by Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels.

"All you wanna do is ride around, Sally.
    Ride, Sally, ride."

And "you can get anything you want" is from Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie.
  16. windblade

windblade Active Member

Leah - you guessed this one::)

"Little darling, it's been a long, cold lonely winter
    Little darling, if seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun - doo doo doo doo
    Here comes the sun and I say - it's alright......"

by The Beatles - George Harrison wrote it.

For the new game - GB said the name Donna:

" I had a girlfriend, Donna was her name

ohhhhh, Donna, ohhhh Donna"

by Richie Valens (last name?) who also sang La Bamba which was adapted from a Mexican folk song.
  17. windblade

windblade Active Member

'Long Tall Sally'

by the Beatles, and American singers before them.
  18. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"Mandy" by Barry Manilow.

Yes, Windblade, the Ricky Valens song about Donna was the one I was thinking about. Also Long Tall Sally, but I had it on a record by Little Richard. One of my favorites in the '50's.
  19. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Proud Mary by Tina Turner
    Left a good job in the city
    working for the man every night and day
    Never had a lost a minute of sleeping
    Worried bout the thing how it might have been...
    Big wheels keep on turnin
    Proud Mary keeps on yurning
    Rolin Rolin Rolin on the river
    tududududu dudududu dudududu tadada

And I'm sure I know the Mandy song but can't come up with any lyrics yet...

Oh or I may have mistaken it for Sandy, so I'll add the name Sandy to the list
  20. windblade

windblade Active Member

GB, yes the Beatles and the Rolling Stones all were greatly influenced by Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Muddy Waters.

Is there a song called " Good Night Kathleen"?