New Study Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaodjs1, Apr 24, 2006.

1. kaodjs1

kaodjs1 New Member

Hey Everyone! I am usually on the Depression message boards, but I suffer from migraines and was gathering some info for an insurance appeal I am doing. I am subscribed to the peer-reviewed medical journal Current Pain and Headache Reports (costs to subscribe) when I came across this brand new April article and got excited about its potential for FM sufferers (some of you come to the Depression message boards). My heart has always gone out to FM sufferers. This is my good deed for the day (night)! Hope it helps someone if you can find an alternative doc with a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. I live in a rural area and we have a "quack" like that here -- just got to look and find one!

Here's the abstract and an excerpt. I thought the science behind this study made a lot of sense 'cause I know how ya'll have those sore points on your body that make you hurt. Good luck to all! --Kelly

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Chronic Pain Management [abstract]

Senol Yildiz, MD, Gunalp Uzun, MD, and M. Zeki Kiralp, MD

Corresponding author:
    Senol Yildiz, MD
    Department of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy Haydarpasa Training Hospital, 34668 Kadikoy, Istanbul, Turkey.

Current Pain and Headache Reports 2006, 10:95-100
    Current Science, Inc. ISSN 1531-3433
    Copyright © 2006 by Current Science, Inc.

Chronic pain is one of the frequently encountered clinical problems that is difficult to cure. Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy has been reported in chronic pain syndromes with promising results. In this review, we focus on the effectiveness of HBO in fibromyalgia syndrome, complex regional pain syndrome, myofascial pain syndrome, migraine, and cluster headaches. HBO may be beneficial if appropriate patients are selected. HBO is a reliable method of treatment. However, physicians performing HBO must be aware of oxygen toxicity. Another problem regarding HBO is the scarcity of centers administering it. Further research is required focusing on the optimal treatment protocol, the cost/benefit ratio, and the safety of HBO in chronic pain management.
    -----------------------
    EXCERPT:
    When the circulation is compromised, the resultant
    ischemia lowers the concentration of adenosine triphosphate
    (ATP) and increases the concentration of lactic acid.
    Increased oxygen delivery to the tissue with HBO may
    prevent tissue damage in ischemic tissues by decreasing
    the tissue lactic acid concentration and helping maintain
    the ATP level. HBO therapy causes hyperoxia by raising
    oxygen concentration far above physiologic levels in all
    tissues during treatment. This breaks the hypoxia-pain
    vicious circle in FMS patients.
    A randomized, controlled study was performed on
    50 FMS patients in our clinic, with 26 patients being classified
    as the HBO group and 24 analyzed as the control
    group. The patients with FMS in the HBO group were
    given 15 90-minute sessions at 2.4 ATA over 5 days, and
    patients in the control group breathed air for 90 minutes
    at 1 ATA. At the end of the study, the number of tender
    points in patients, visual analogue scale (VAS) score, and
    pain thresholds were used in evaluation. The number
    of tender points in patients with FMS who received 15
    HBO sessions declined, VAS scores decreased, and there
    was a statistically significant increase in pain thresholds.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have a hyperbaric chamber here at one of the hospitals. It is always booked up for treatment of serious conditions, such as open sores on legs of diabetics which won't heal. I know some docs use oxygen to help with treatment of our illnesses but my HMO won't pay for it. I've considered buying a concentrator on e-Bay.

For now, I do Dr. Cheney's breathing exercises. I'm fortunate that I grew up at high altitude, so my body became very efficient at utilizin oxygen.

Love, Mikie
  3. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I was interested in this also as it is supposed to help people with bad balance probs, which I have. Unfotunately though for me it is no good as I have candida and this sort of treatment makes it worse.

But some of the others with bad pain probs would benefit I'm sure.

Cheers,
    Sue
  4. u34rb

u34rb New Member

I use HBO about twice a week for my symptoms of CFS and FM, and it's a great help.

Fears about oxygen toxicity are really misplaced. toxicity cannot occur at the pressures and durations involved. It would be necessary to breath pure oxygen for many hours before this problem resulted, and one would die of boredom before that.

I'm surprised that one poster has reported Candida as a contra-indication for HBO. At twice atmospheric pressure and above, (33 feet of sea water), all bacteria is destroyed by oxygen. The only exception to this is when oxygen cannot reach an infection which is usually due to an impaired micro circulation of the blood. But then repeated HBO can help improve the circulation.
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

how long have u been using hyperbaric treatments and how have they helped precisely?

Also, does yr insurance cover teh cost?

And Mikie, what is a concentrator?

Tnx
    Delia
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Sinusitis, at least the chronic kind, ie daily...

they say the pressure in the chamber will make the headache worse. Which means I probably couldn't go scuba diving either? (even if i had the energy?)

Victoria

7. u34rb

u34rb New Member

I have been using Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) for more than 500 sessions over five and a half years, (about two times a week).

HBO has helped reduce the fatigue and pain. Brain fog has disappeared. HBO works by flooding the blood plasma and cerebral spinal fluid with oxygen, which has the beneficial effects.

I'm not insured for the cost. The HBO is provided by a local charity and I do what I can to help with fundraising, as I cannot pay at present. I have also become a chamber operator on a volunteer basis as this will help reduce the running costs of the centre in future.

A "concentrator" can increase the concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere but it cannot produce 100% oxygen, and any way hyperbaric effects cannot be achieved unless the ambient pressure is increased whilst the increased concentration of oxygen is breathed in, that is whilst in a pressurised chamber of some sort.

Discomfort can be experienced with the change of pressure involved, which is whilst pressurising and depressurising. But being at a greater than ambient pressure is not of itself a problem. There are precautions that can be taken to avoid problems. It is possible that chronic respiratory conditions like sinusitis might actually be helped by HBO if appropriate care is taken during the treatment. I would not rule out sinusitis as a contra-indication in all cases.

I have also found that Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) helps with fatigue and provides general well being. And I have had successful reversal of FM symptoms using guaifenesin, (avoiding salicylates according to the Dr St Amand protocol).

8. cct

cct Member

A few years back, I did an internet search on hyperbaric oxygen therapy and found that there were some one-person portable models available for home use.

They were fairly expensive, but if the portable models are effective, they might be worth the cost.
  9. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i was quoted $10,000 for a portable chamber!
    delia
  10. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Any "chamber" which is "portable" will almost certainly NOT be capable of providing the pressure necessary to benefit ME/CFS patients. A true monoplace hyperbaric chamber can cost in excess of $100000 when new in North America. In other parts of the world they can be got for as little as $10000 secondhand, or even less.

The real thing for only $10000. if it changes someones life, has got to be good value - a second hand car can cost more!
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

and even cheaper when someone sells it... wonder if they do work as well?!

AND I wonder what parameters determine when sinusitis is a contraindicator - would hate to have worse pain from it as a result of trying it, pain is bad enough now! Honestly i have never read that in some cases it would be okay.

I have read that it can be helpful also, btw, in Lyme, altho my son's doctor hasn't seen good results with it and apparently rarely recommends it if at all, even tho there is a place in his building that offers it.

all the best,
    Victoria
  12. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Victoria: “I wonder what parameters determine when sinusitis is a contraindicator”.

Try Rapid Recovery Hyperbarics, <http://www.hbot4u.com/contraindictions.html>

1. “Untreated Pneumothorax
    “The only absolute contraindication for HBOT is untreated pneumothorax.
    “Surgical relief of the pneumothorax before HBOT session, if possible removes the obstacle to treatment.

2. “Chronic Sinusitis
    “With slow compression and decompression usually there are no problems.”

Also you could google 'hyperbaric' and 'sinusitus'.
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks, I will look it up!

Victoria