New subscriber

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by michael514, Jul 1, 2008.

1. michael514

michael514 New Member

Hi all, I am new at this, so please forgive me if I break the rules. I will try my best to be good.
    I wanted to know if any one has tried Microcurrent electrical therapy for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. We use it extensively here in Kansas with fantastic results. Hope to hear from you soon. Take Care!
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Welcome to the board and you will love it here and make a lot of friends and get good info.

What is that exactly? I haven't heard of it.

Thank you
  3. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I do a bit of amateur electrical work (install light fixtures, change out plugs) and sometimes forget to turn off the power first, it is the same thing ;p

Seriously, I haven't heard of it either, how does it work?
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Is this anything like a Tens-Unit?,,,,,,,,S
  5. michael514

michael514 New Member

Wow, that was fast! I hope I know how to use this to reply. Im sure you will tell me if I get it wrong.

It works incredibly well. I know of patients who have reduced their pain 50%-100% in a matter of minutes. The medical world has forgotten that the body is actually more electrical than it is chemical. This device helps to normalize the body's normal electrical fields. The developer of this device has just received the 2008 Richard S. Weiner Pain Educator award from the American Academy of Pain Management's Education Advisory committee.

Its easy to apply, for pain we use pain probes that are applied to the skin in the area of the pain. Most probe treatments take about 2-3 minutes. That treats the primary involved area for pain, then the patient is attached to the machine with wires and clips on the earlobes for about 20 minutes. This treats the brain for pain, and is also the method that is used to treat depression, insomnia, and anxiety.
    This all probably sounds crazy, but it is FDA approved. I have seen fantastic things happen with this device. Lets talk some more!
  6. michael514

michael514 New Member

Its in the same class as tens, but it is not the same. TENS works like this - if my knee hurts, and I punch myself in the nose, my knee feels better. Its called counter irritation. tens is considered to be an electrical hammer - so if we hammer a painful area with electricity, there will be some counter irritation take place. The problem is, once you turn it off, the pain returns in a short period of time. There is no residual effect. With microcurrent electrical therapy, the reliefe can last for hours to days.
    Another difference between TENS and microcurrent is that TENS units run a current anywhere from about 2amps to 150amps. The highest setting on the microcurrent unit (MET) is 6 micro amps - thats 6 one millionths of an amp.
    Huge difference. Most people dont feel a thing, others maybe a small tingle.
    This device was FDA approved initially in 1981, so its been around a long time. There are over 50 independent research studies that validate this type of therapy.
    There is nothing else like it. Hope Im not being too wordy here, but this is important. I welcome your questions.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

For all the information on the MET!,,,,we appreciate it!,,,,Sisland
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

Welcome to the board and thank you for the information. It sounds interesting.

Take care,

Karen :)
  9. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Is this similar to what Chiropractors use?I know that feels great to me.My chiro says it helps the muscles to heal.Is it stronger?What kind of Doc uses this? Thanks,Robin
  10. michael514

michael514 New Member

Hi robin,
    Yes, chiropractors can use these, thats what I am. They are also used by pain management clinics, physical therapists, MDs also. It is FDA approved to reduce pain, insomnia, anxiety and depression. If I could give you a brand name, you could go to their website and check it out. I suspect that is not allowed on this site. Not only does this device reduce and/or eliminate the pain of FM, it cuts through the fibro fog that many sufferers have. Its been terrific.
    I cant really explain how it works without using a lot of high falutin doctor language, and thats probably not necessary. Stay tuned for more, relief may be at hand for you.
    Its amazing more people have not heard about this, but its because drugs and Rx meds is where the money is. The company that manufactures and markets this technology is so small they literally cannot compete with the armies of sales people that big pharma has going into doctors offices everyday of the week,even though this device is more cost effective and works better thank anything else out there. Keep up with the questions, I will try to help as much as I can.
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Are you selling these?

Do you have FM/CFS/ME?

I would hate to see you banned from the board as you could provide some valuable information.

12. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hi there,
    It is customary on most boards (not sure about this one) that if you are a medical practioner, you identify yourself as a signature when you sign a post.

Chiro in Kansas

It just lets people know that you are not a patient.

I am sure that we can learn from you but I feel a little odd in the way you first introduced yourself.

13. michael514

michael514 New Member

Sorry everyone, its not my intention to mislead or give anyone the wrong idea. I am new at this and appreciate you patience with me. My profile states I am a doctor of chiropractic and that I do not have FM/CFS/ME. By the way, can someone tell me what ME stands for? Guess Im slow. I do prescribe and utlize microcurrent in my practice everyday. Hope that doesnt taint my posts and opinions. I am just trying every way I can to get the word out about this amazing therapy. Valid research on this device indicates that 90% of the FM patients that use the device realized an improvement in the quality of their life. Contrast that to only 30% for Lyrica and you can see how great this is. Also, there are virtually no side effects.

Can someone tell me, is there some way on this site to have an automatic electronic signature? That way I dont have to type in my name and credentials everytime. I welcome your thoughts.

Michael D. McIrvin BS, DC, IPS
    clinic director/doctor of chiropractic
    Pain Relief Center
  14. michael514

michael514 New Member

Hi gap, no I dont have any of these diseases, I do prescribe microcurrent and utilize it in my chiropractic practice everyday. I hope I have not mislead anyone. I am here to make friends and hopefully help improves quality life for people. If that gets me kicked off the board, then its a shame. Can someone tell me why I dont see my posts when I click on view posts?

Pain Relief Center
  15. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Go to top of page,you'll see view profile,click on it.Scroll down you'll see it.
    I have to say "DUH!" to myself,I did check out your profile before first writing to you and saw you were a Chiro.All I can say is brain fog!!
    I'm not sugesting anyone to go to Chiro's,that is a individuals choice,I just know for myself I do get some relief.I didn't know it helped with the brain fog,but now that I think about it,it has helped me with that also.And like I said before,I love the electric machine he has!!
    One of the things my Chiro has on his resume is helping people with Fibro.He says it has alot to do with the spinal cord.
    I have been to a few chiro's over the years,that have not helped me,but the man I am seeing now is great.Wish I had found him sooner! Robin
  16. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Why is it attached to the ear lobes?The one my Doc has just goes on the painful spots.He said it's like a tens unit,but goes deeper,and helps the muscles to heal. Robin
  17. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting on microcurrent therapy. I've been interested in this for quite some time. My main interest is whether it might improve brain/cognitive function for those of us who have major issues with this.

RE: "If I could give you a brand name, you could go to their website and check it out. I suspect that is not allowed on this site."

*** I've seen brand names of many different products mentioned on this board and don't believe it would be a problem if you mentioned the brand name here. I would really be interested in what information may be available on their website.

Thanks again for posting.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
  18. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

I found Michael's other post indicating the name of the microcurrent unit he's referring to here. I then did some searching and discovered a very good article here in Immunesupport's library entitled:

<a href="">Low-Level Brain Stimulation Repeatedly Proven Effective for Fibromyalgia</a>.

At the end of the article, they have the website address for the maker of this product so will post that link below:

<a href="">Alpha-Stim</a>

At the end of the article, it states that "The Alpha-Stim SCS unit and supplies are available at" Click <a href="">here</a> for Immunesupport Alpha-Stim SCS product information.

Click <a href="">here</a> for Alpha-Stim SCS Product Information on Alpha-Stim's website. It has more information than what is available at the Immunesupport website.

Michael, thanks again for bringing this to our attention. I've actually been wanting to follow up on this for some time. I've held back because of the amount of time I thought I might have to spend researching the various different products out there. Are there any specific reasons you chose this product to use in your practice over others on the market?

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
  19. michael514

michael514 New Member

Hi Wayne, I do use the Alpha-Stim, if you put it into the search bar at there's an incredible amount of info on it there. Someone asked why I selected this brand, simple - its FDA approved to reduce pain, insomnia, anxiety and depression. It has over 50 independent studies that indicate it works. Most drugs will barely have 20 research studies before coming to market. It was first approved in 1981, so there is a lot of experience with this. There are other microcurrent units out there, this is the only one that can give almost immediate and long lasting relief. I know this for a fact because when marketing these devices to other doctors who already have another microcurrent device, I ask them if they can eliminate or signficantly reduce severe pain(in the range of 8/10, or 10/10) in five minutes or less they all say no. Thats because this unit has an added current in its wave form. I will try to not be too technical here, but the major obstacle to treating patients with electricity is overcoming the resistance of the body's skin, its a big insulator. so this device has one current that works to break the resistance, the other current can then penetrate to reduce pain.

As an example of how this works, yesterday I had a patient who has been suffering with painful knees for 20 yrs, partial replacement on each side. Left knee rates 7/10 pain level, right knee 8/10. After using the pain probes on his knees for about 3 minutes he rated the right knee at 1/10 and the left knee at 3/10. Thats the kind of thing I do all day here, you can see why I'm excited about this.
    The hard research thats been done shows that 90% of FM patients report a positive change in their quality of life. Contrast that to a efficacy rate of 30% for Lyrica, and you can see the difference.These units can be prescribed for purchase or rental, we teach patients to use them for themselves. The great thing about alpha stim is that unlike using drugs, the more a patient uses it the more effective it becomes.

In another post I will write about the other conditions it can help with.
    The real question i think is why more people have not heard of this? The answer - over 25,000 drug reps going into doctors offices everyday as compared to a sales staff of about 30 for alpha stim. The FDA hates the company that produces it because its not a drug, and its more economical than prescriptions. FDA has tried five times to put them out of business, Electromedical products, Inc. (the company that makes alpha stim) sued them five times and won every time. I encourage everyone to read the book 'Politics in Healing' you can get it at

Ive been using alpha stim a little over a year, and am now starting to contact physical therapists, pyschologists, massage therapists, MDs to let them know about this.

Sorry about the long post, but there is so much more I could tell you about this device. Check it out at its a great site. More to come later!!

Pain Relief Center
  20. michael514

michael514 New Member

Hi robin, after we use the pain probes on the painful area, we use the ear clips for about 20 minutes. This treats the brain for pain. The alpha stim positively effectes the limbic system of the brain, and area that is associated with mental integration, emotion, motor function, just about everything. It helps the individual nerves communicate with each better.
    Also, there usually is a situation that gets set up with pain we call a pain loop. This is a nerve pathway that opens up between the affected area and the brain. It can stay open even after the affected area heals, so a person will still feel pain. Thats kind of what happens with phantom limb pain. Cranial electrical stimulation with alpha stim helps to close these pain loops and helps the pain go away. Thats about as simple as I can explain it without getting into a lot dry neurophysiology - yawn!

Hope that answers your question, and that all this will help get the word out.

Cheers and happy fourth!

clinical director/doctor of chiropractic
    Pain Relief Center