New symptom for me...scary

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Stormy214, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Hi all...I've been in what I call oen of my borderline flares for about 2 months...somewhere between hardly functioning but somehow, still managing to stay on me feet. Last night (wouldn't you know it has to happen on a weekend, and after office hours), the muscles down the left side of my back and into the top of the buttock went into a major spasm, enough to pull my left arm into an almost fetal position and my head backward. I've NEVER felt anything so painful! Fortunately, my 20 yr. old son was home and was able to massage it out somewhat (EXTREMELY painful!) but it loosened it up enough so I could straighten my arm and neck. I was up most of the night with this (and so was my poor son, the angel), taking max. drugs allowable, heating pad and massage whenever it recurred. Does this sound like a possible fibro thing, or is something else happening to me?? I've bad pain before, but never spasms like that! I hate running to the emergency room to get those rolled-eye looks if there isn't anything more that can be done. Any similar experiences out there?
    Thanx,
    Stormy
  2. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Hi all...I've been in what I call oen of my borderline flares for about 2 months...somewhere between hardly functioning but somehow, still managing to stay on me feet. Last night (wouldn't you know it has to happen on a weekend, and after office hours), the muscles down the left side of my back and into the top of the buttock went into a major spasm, enough to pull my left arm into an almost fetal position and my head backward. I've NEVER felt anything so painful! Fortunately, my 20 yr. old son was home and was able to massage it out somewhat (EXTREMELY painful!) but it loosened it up enough so I could straighten my arm and neck. I was up most of the night with this (and so was my poor son, the angel), taking max. drugs allowable, heating pad and massage whenever it recurred. Does this sound like a possible fibro thing, or is something else happening to me?? I've bad pain before, but never spasms like that! I hate running to the emergency room to get those rolled-eye looks if there isn't anything more that can be done. Any similar experiences out there?
    Thanx,
    Stormy
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had some serious spasms, but I don't know if that is what you were experiencing. The spasms I have are usually in the shoulders and upper back by the shoulderblades. I would be bent over and could not stand stright. Also had one in the pelvic area that put me in the bed for a week, no I could not walk! Scared the heck out of me.
    I have also gotten them from sitting too long in the car, or if I am strssed out.

My husband would rub them out with a strong rubbing, or whatever you call it. It hurt like the devil, but it would get the muscles to relax, and the knots worked out.

I have not had any this bad in over a year now, but I am very careful how I work around here, and I don't lift anything heavy or reach above my head either, that will usually cause them to happen to me.

Plus I have been so much less prone to the spasms since taking magnesium.

I hope you find out what is causing this.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Yes, that sounds like the same thing. It starts between my shoulder blades and goes all the way down, and it happened when I was reaching up to drawn down the venetian blinds. I take quite a bit of magnesium--acutally I take quite a bit of a lot of things!--but maybe I should increase it some. I'm glad to know its probably nothing else I have to worry about though! Every knew symptom terrifies me! I'll try to muddle it out and get my own doc on Monday. I hate those ER creeps! They're so condescending....
    Stormy
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It took me years to learn to live with this Fibro. I was so active, so strong, never asked anyone to lift or move anything with in reason, could even change a flat tire by myself.

But after getting myself in trouble (pain) for so many years doing what I could do, and not thinking about the consequences I learned.

Before I do anything, I think; 'is this going to pull my muscles?' I actually talk to myself sometimes!
    I finally realized that I could not beat this pain doing what I wanted, so I learn to live around it and make things easy around the house, instead of the fighting it like I did for years.

Get a sturdy footstool, don't reach above your head anymore.
    Thats a real no, no, if you have this back problem. It will spasm everytime I reach and feel that 'pull' in my back.

Glad I could help a little. I know many times I though I was going to die with this crazy sickness. But I have had it now for 20 years, so I know it won't kill me, just hurt and scare the devil out of me!

Shalom, Shirl

6. younghope

younghope New Member

I'm sorry for the pain you're going through. I am on the up-side of my two month spasms. I finally got a shot of magnesium on Tuesday and it has relaxed my muscles so I can finally do something besides curl up in the fetal position and cry. Sometimes it feels like it's never going to end and I just want to give up. Thankfully I have a great supportive husband & family to help me through it. My spasms started in my back & shoulder at first but 3 years later it hit my ribs & stomache. This is the worst I have had. Magnesium seeems to be the only thing to really help me. My doctor gave me some muscle relaxers that take the edge off but It wouldn't help without the mags. Good luck and hang in there.
  7. susabar

susabar New Member

My back muscles went into a spasm and wouldn't release !!!!

I would have rather have had a baby... went to ER
  8. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I feel a little more comfortable this evening than I did earlier. Not much, but I've been careful about reaching and walking, for that matter, trying to not "rattle the cage" so to speak. Of course I've been maximum dosing on my muscle relaxers and pain meds, but I'm just trying to get through till monday to see my own doc. Thank you for your concern, Karen, I will definitely not let it go, I will follow up. And was it you, shirl, who suggested the epsom salt in the bathwater in one of my earlier newbie posts? I did that as well, and that seemed to help some. Do you think its because of the magnesium in the epsom salt? As a biologist I'm kind of curious....the skin is designed to keep things out, not absorb things, but I wonder if its possible that enough mg gets in through the pores to help alleviate the spasm? Not that I expect anyone to answer, I'm just rambling...sorry bout that! And thank you one and all for your concern, your sharing and your advice!
    Bless you,
    Stormy