New symptoms or something else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LSBarrow, Jun 21, 2003.

1. LSBarrow

LSBarrow New Member

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia approximately a year ago. Due to a lot of neurological symptoms too, I have been tested for MS, but thankfully the MRI tests were negative. I experience frequent numbing all over my body, from my face to my toes, (my backside numbs just from sitting in one spot up to 15 minutes). I experience pain all over but the worst spots are my lower back (partially due to AS), my right hip, my knees and both arms. On occasional, my right eye blurs anywhere from 10 minutes to 5 hours.
    Last night I experienced something new...my left eye blurred, and then my entire left side became ummm...tough to explain...painful. Although gradual, in a matter of an hour I hurt everywhere on my left side, including a severe headache. It scared me to death, but we had company at the time and even though they were asking if I was alright, I just said it's no deal. I took all my medications as usual and went to bed. This morning I was back to normal with all the usual symptoms. I told my husband about the experience and he totally freaked. I'm thinking it's yet another weird symptom of Fibromyalgia but was curious if anyone else has experienced this type of scenario. Thanks much.

Linda
  2. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

I am certainly no expert and not a physician, but the first thing that came to mind was a migraine headache.
    Have you ever had this happen in the past?
    I only have occasional migraine headaches (thankfully), but when I do get them, my vision gets blurry(kind of like looking under water) and my headache is preceded by numbness which effects my face and arm on one side...thought I was having a stroke the first time it happened. If I take a tylenol as soon as the "aura" starts, sometimes I can avoid the headache or keep it to a dull roar.
    You said you have one sided pain though, which is nothing I have ever experienced, just numbness, but we all experience migraine headaches differently.
    It was just a thought.
    It must have been frightening and you must be relieved that it has passed.
    Take care.
  3. kgg

kgg New Member

Do you tend to run a high blood pressure? I'm not sure I would tough it out again. You might want to get checked out. This doesn't sound only like fibro pain IMHO.
  4. billiegail

billiegail New Member

Well, that is what one doctor told me. I am not so sure he was right. He could be.
    I have that exact same thing happen, but not often. When I brought this up to my doctor at the time, he said it could have been small mini strokes. We did a battery of test and I have a leison on my brain, just a small one, but he said it was either caused by a stroke or a head injury. I don't remember the head injury, but I rememeber all those strange feelings and the numbness to the face, hands, legs, etc...
    We did not get a definate answer, but at least narrowed it down to those two.
    Maybe you should ask for a MRI or is it MIR? I can't remember.
    At least get some type of brain scan.
    My doc told me to NOT get stressed! I don't know what planet he is from, but that is next to impossible here on Earth.
    Good luck and God bless.
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

pass any new symtom off. We all have many different symtoms and yes, other medical conditions that pop up. Don't be such a good hostess, take care of you. If I was you spouce I'd freak to. Make sure you keep a list of all your symtoms and when they appeared and all that. Keep copies of all you records and tests, etc. Diary is good to have to. It could be nothing but, don't take chances. Don't be affraid of interupting you docs weekend or night either if something happens that's what we pay them for. Mine yells at me when I don't call ASAP.

Yes, I have has simmilar symtom and the doc thought TIA. But then I also have developed Glacoma and the eye doc gets angry to when I have eye disterbances and don't call, I see him ever 3 months.

Just don't pass any new symtom off. Take care, Kim and Gary
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Linda, take the very good advice given here, go see you doctor as soon as possible.

I have had FM for over 20 years, but you are having something quite different than this.

Please call you doctor. Let us know what he has to say.

Shalom, Shirl