New syptom, leg cramps/pain, anyone else out there??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by buffyr, Jan 24, 2007.

1. buffyr

buffyr New Member

i just started having pain in my legs a few days ago. This is new for me as the pain is in one area on several different parts of each leg. What I mean is it's like all these individual spots hurt. Never had that before it's always been the whole leg aching??? Does this sound normal or is it something I need to go in and have checked?? Sick of seeing the dr on a weekly basis lol. Thanks!!
  2. app5775

app5775 New Member

For me leg symptons vary as well. My legs are the worst of my issues. Sometimes they feel very heavy and sometimes in the past my legs have ached so bad I couldn't stand for long. They still have some "muscle ripples of pain" but I'm some better in that regard. I've experienced tingling, "muscles ripples" and other aches. I've always felt if I could just get over the fatigue and leg problems I'd be pretty much half way "normal" if thats possible. At least thats been my symptons thus far. Try somehow massaging them or a warm shower or bath, might help for a little while. take care
  3. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Could be a reaction to your medication?

I developed a new symptom about a year ago. The only way I can describe it is as if my muscles are too short and are pulling. I feel like I need to stretch my legs, but that doesn't help.

I have no idea what's causing it. I just attribute everything to old age and add it to a long list of ailments, LOL.
  4. Seascape194

Seascape194 New Member

I have leg cramps every day. I awake with them and they sometimes resolve fairly quickly but generally I have to use pain medication to relax the muscles and control the pain.

Part of my problem is that I am quite unfit at the moment so I need to address the fact that I am not exercising much other than walking.

Having said that, I used to take ballet (from age 7 to adulthood) and Jazz, Judo and Gymnastics. I experienced instep cramps all the time because of the specific muscles strengthened by the activity; ones which didn't get the workout would cramp up if I moved in certain ways.

Pointing my toes down often causes foot and leg cramps when I am in bed. I have to try to avoid making that move so I won't knot up.

I think the answer, at least for me, is to stay in better shape because I didn't experience cramps as badly when I was more active.

I did a fibromyalgia program at a hospital in London, Ontario where the emphasis was on exercise and it left no doubt that exercise is key in controlling fibro pain.

Hope this helps.
  5. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi Buffyr,

Yes, I have always had a touch of that, but it has been getting progessively worse. My doctor has me on some meds for that (Trazadone & Zanaflex), but I believe he will need to step it up. I see him today. I had just sent a question through of my own about chest pain & I also was having an RLS flare. Do you have FMS as well?
    I was just diagnosed with it last night after suffering with it for sometime.

You will need to let your doctor know. Hopefully you see a pain management doctor or at the very least a very understanding doctor.

Good luck & let me know how it goes.

your friend,
    Fungirl :)
  6. sharonkingskid

sharonkingskid New Member

I call FMS a 'movable feast', since the pain seems to rotate from body part to body part.

What has helped me immensely is having my doctor prescribe a mild musculoskelatal muscle relaxer. She has prescribed Robaxin (methacarbamol) 750 mg. (For any Canadian readers, it is sold over the counter in Canada.) I can take it up to 3 times a day for those day when I have neck spasms, spasms over my ribs, lower back spasms, thigh or lower back spasms, hand or feet spasms... you get the picture.

For RLS (restless leg syndrome) several of my friends have been prescribed Pramipexole (Mirapex, a drug used in Parkinson's treatment), but I declined my doctor's offer to prescribe it for me. I find that a hot bath, massage, or topical application of trolamine salicylate (AsperCreme and others) really helps and I have no side effects.

Hope this helps someone else.
  7. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Hi I have had leg pain since November. It just doesnt go away!! The pain management Dr sent me to water therapy he said I wasnt using mu legs enough and the muscles were constricting. I went to water therapy and there were days it felt better and then days it felt worse.
    This week I have been going to the YMCA and swimming an hour every day and I have to tell you the aching is still there but the pain clear to the bone isn't half as bad as it was!! So try some light to moderate exercise in a pool for a while then go and sit in the sauna for about a half hour and see if that helps.
    Hope I was helpful
    CindyVR
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I have had the same experience as Cindy. On days when I'm not feeling well and sitting at the computer a lot, my legs often get tense and cramp up. Once I stretch then out, they feel better. Fibromyalgia is tricky because we have a lot of pain, so it's intuitive that we don't want to move. However, if we don't move at all, the pain can get worse.

I have often "exercised" myself out of flares and pain. Sounds very odd, but it's true. Staying in bed just made it worse, so I always get out of bed and start VERY SLOW. And it sure hurt to move at first, but so does not moving at all. Gradually, my muscles loosen and I actually feel better to the point where I had little to know pain. I would never believe it unless I'd tried it.

Anyway, I would recommend gentle stetching of all the areas that are sore, and if you're up to it walk. Warm baths are great too. On a completely different note, if you have started a new med, you might consider that the pain could be a side effect, in which case you should check with a doc. Best of luck!

Erika :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  9. greatbarrier

greatbarrier New Member

Hi there, yip me to I feel like I have freezing ice going through my viens. legs ach shooting pain, numbing heavy dull aching. I aqua jog 3 times a week have a massage but the best thing is legs up with a cuddly rug and a hotties on them ( some like a 90 year old or a young child need my cuddly ) I have no great sujestions Good book, movie, scream !!!!!!!!!!lol gets to yea uh! blessings Lynne