NEW TEST THYROID!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 13, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) now says that TSH level between 3.0 and 5.0 uU/ml should be considered suspect. This is a major reversal of the long held view that a person ONLY had hypothyroidism if their TSH is above 5.0.

This is the first time a conventional U.S. medical organization has acknowledged that the upper half of the TSH test's normal range may not in fact be normal, but rather, evidence of developing hypothyroidism, or a level that is potentially able to cause hypothyroidism symptoms in patients.

Nearly 13 million Americans have thyroid disease, but more than half of these people remain undiagnosed. Additionally, fewer than 15% of Americans can identify the times of life when thyroid disease most often strikes:

the post-childbirth period
    menopause
    and after age 60
    The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of the neck.

Through the production of thyroid hormones, the organ is involved in regulating metabolism -- how the body uses energy and at what speed.

There are various thyroid conditions including:

hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
    hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
    thyroiditis (inflamed thyroid)
    Untreated thyroid disease may result in:

infertility
    muscle weakness
    osteoporosis
    AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists) experts recommend that people experiencing some of the sometimes-subtle symptoms of thyroid disease -- such as

depression a sense of being too cold or too hot
    fatigue memory difficulties
    heart rate disturbances hair loss

-- undergo a blood test that measures levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). TSH tells the thyroid to produce more of its hormone in response to the body's perception that the levels of essential thyroid hormone are low.

Women who are unable to conceive should have their thyroid checked because an underactive thyroid can interfere with conception. Women are five to eight times more likely than men to develop thyroid disease. Women should also undergo TSH testing during pregnancy to ensure that their levels of thyroid hormone are appropriate.

A few months after delivery, some women are diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid condition called Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is often mistaken for postpartum depression.

Menopause is another time of life in which women should be tested for thyroid disease. Menopausal symptoms such as skin dryness, hot flashes, mood swings, depression and weight gain mimic those of thyroid disease.

People over 60 should be tested if they experience fatigue, depression and forgetfulness.

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Great! Finally...now we just have to educate the dotors. You may have read previous post of mine where I told another post that one side of my thyroid is size of pea the other has three nodules and despite "normal" kevels always my endo. did needle biopsy and there was Hashimotos ana-she's ignored those normal levels for 25 years, says they don't mean that much. Did you read my post about blood drawers leaving rubber band on too long? Apparently, if the band is left on arm for more than 50 secs, the blood drawn is not a true representation-got this from AARP last year-it throws tests way off. esp for TS levels and Sed rates!!!!!!

Love Cromwell
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Mary Shomon, a great patient advocate and author of some books about hypothyroidism sent this letter that we can view here:
    http://thyroid.about.com/library/news/lawltr4pdf.pdf
    maybe she got a dime to do with it. It is not only possibly a level over 3.0 is hypo, it IS hypothyroidism.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

They did this, but hasn't it been in effect for a while? My recollection could be spotty, but I think I came across this sometime back. Maybe some one else who sees this will know for sure.

Did the article have a date to go with it?

Elsa
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

My holistic endo doubled my thyroid meds when my tsh went from 1.66 to 2.6. I have never been that high and before he gave me meds I was wearing a coat in july and had all the other symptoms. I was experiencing more cold than usual.

Numbers only mean so much you have to look at the whole picture. So many docs cant see anything past a lab slip but then they will tell you that 97 temp is perfectly normal for some people and 98.6 is normal for the next. IMHO the same thing is true for TSH. 3.0 might be perfectly normal for one person and 2 indicates hypothyroidism for the next person.

Medicine needs some regulation but it cant be rigid. It has to allow for individuals and the differences in those individuals.

Health ins com and the fear of liability keep so many docs from looking past the lab sheet. They dont want to do anything with that peice of paper to back them up. In a way I dont blame them cuz they are putting their whole career on the line every time they perscribe out of the box.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

The AACE did lower the TSH ranges-the only problem is that most labs and physicians do not accept these new numbers.

This continues to be very hot issue within the medical community.

The target TSH level for patients on treatment ranges between 0.3 to 3.0 mIU/L per/AACE.

The National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (NACB) guidelines believes that a sustained TSH level above 2.5 mIU/L might not be normal and that current TSH upper limits of >4 mIU/L are likely skewed by the inclusion of individuals with occult thyroid deficiency.

Good luck,

Karen
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My target for TSH is 1.0. I still get a bit chilled and my body temperature is still low certain times of the day, but we don't want to suppress my thyroid function.

One of the concerns with low TSH over a long period of time is the possibility you are losing bone mass. I have taken thyroid for 20 years and one doctor I saw refused to renew my prescription because my TSH was .5 on a test (I had taken my thyroid that morning before the blood draw which I explained to her but she refused to acknowledge that the T3 in the thyroid med would temporarily cause a drop in TSH).

So I had a DEXA scan which was normal - no osteopenia - and I've had another one since which shows I have the same bone density as a 20-yr-old. So the doctors have quite harassing me about my TSH levels :)

Jan
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

darude:
    Thank you for posting that. It makes for interesting reading, especially since I have thyroid trouble.
    HUgs,
    NyroFan
  9. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

It's the one with Madonna on the cover. There's a long article about hypothyroidism and quotes from Mary Shomon. It was nice to come across something in main stream media (or at least what I usually read ;)

-GoAskAlice