New Theory...PLEASE READ!! SPECT Scan...anyone heard of it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2BPainfree, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Has anyone heard of a SPECT Scan? this is a fairly new, but very grounded, cutting edge, diagnostic scan of the brain to determines brain function and our behavior that follows in direct response! One Doctor explained to me: "it's like doing open heart surgery...with the scan they can see everything, how the brain functions, where it is and isn't functioning, and often what medications need to be used to enhanse the section of brain that is or isn't preforming correctly. I think this is Sooooo interesting! (They can determine EXACTLY which medications are needed by the area of the brain and what it shows on the scan!)

I have been doing some research. It seems pretty concrete that most CFS/FM people were very high energy folks prior to getting sick.

I also have been reading up on mood disorders that can come along with alot of illnesses (or even been present prior too being sick but we were able to keep them in check.) As I read the disorders I noticed all the different types of attention deficit disorder (and varying degrees of it), which, if you think about it, is something we all are now suffering with to one degree or another. (ADD does NOT mean you have to be hyperactive by any means) The book I have read by Dr. Daniel Amen, descibes how different areas of the brain become inactive or overactive with increased or decreased blood flow and how our physical symptoms reflect in a direct corralation. Please visit www.amenclinic.com

I have noticed alot of people saying they are taking ritalin and now providgil to give us the energy to get up and concentrate (similar to how they treat ADD). I have begun to wonder if there may be a corralation to an overactive brain to begin with...that became burt-out and is somehow tied into the screwed up brain chemicals that are causing a host of our symptoms (possibly.) Could it be these negative chemical responses are resposible or add to the cascade of problems that follow?

God, I hope I'm not rambling here....ANYWHO...I have paid to have this "grossly" expensive testing and brain scanning done to see what my brain is showing. (I'm so desperate and tired of not feeling well.) I asked the Doctor what she thought about this theory for CFS/FM and she said they have also thought that there very well may be a connection like the one i mentioned to CFS and may soon begin brain scanning to see if there is a corralation!!! WOW! (I offered to be a ginnea pig!)

I will be talking with the Doctor/researcher (Dr.Amen) who developed this state-of-the-art brain scanning/testing and wrote the books on it....I'm planning to "pick HIS brain" heehee, no pun intended! (Fortunately his center is located very close to me,can you beleive it... he is known world wide!)

The reason I wrote all of this is to hopefully be able to share a new insight. Don't know what will come of it, but it is very interesting. At the very least they can teach therapy to enhanse the particular area that may be affected.
    The scan evaluates,anxiety, depression, subtypes of ADD, OCD, brain trauma, cognitive decline, memory problems, dementia (now there's me, LOL) aggressive or violent behavior, brain effects of substance abuse, behavioral problems, ect.

Hope this made some sense. If anyone is interested I will share the results when all the scanning is complete. Please check out the website and take the test online...it will help show the area of your brain that may be having problems! www.amenclinic.com

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but hey...ya never know! I would love to hear what anyone else thinks of this theory.

Susan B.
  2. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Has anyone heard of a SPECT Scan? this is a fairly new, but very grounded, cutting edge, diagnostic scan of the brain to determines brain function and our behavior that follows in direct response! One Doctor explained to me: "it's like doing open heart surgery...with the scan they can see everything, how the brain functions, where it is and isn't functioning, and often what medications need to be used to enhanse the section of brain that is or isn't preforming correctly. I think this is Sooooo interesting! (They can determine EXACTLY which medications are needed by the area of the brain and what it shows on the scan!)

I have been doing some research. It seems pretty concrete that most CFS/FM people were very high energy folks prior to getting sick.

I also have been reading up on mood disorders that can come along with alot of illnesses (or even been present prior too being sick but we were able to keep them in check.) As I read the disorders I noticed all the different types of attention deficit disorder (and varying degrees of it), which, if you think about it, is something we all are now suffering with to one degree or another. (ADD does NOT mean you have to be hyperactive by any means) The book I have read by Dr. Daniel Amen, descibes how different areas of the brain become inactive or overactive with increased or decreased blood flow and how our physical symptoms reflect in a direct corralation. Please visit www.amenclinic.com

I have noticed alot of people saying they are taking ritalin and now providgil to give us the energy to get up and concentrate (similar to how they treat ADD). I have begun to wonder if there may be a corralation to an overactive brain to begin with...that became burt-out and is somehow tied into the screwed up brain chemicals that are causing a host of our symptoms (possibly.) Could it be these negative chemical responses are resposible or add to the cascade of problems that follow?

God, I hope I'm not rambling here....ANYWHO...I have paid to have this "grossly" expensive testing and brain scanning done to see what my brain is showing. (I'm so desperate and tired of not feeling well.) I asked the Doctor what she thought about this theory for CFS/FM and she said they have also thought that there very well may be a connection like the one i mentioned to CFS and may soon begin brain scanning to see if there is a corralation!!! WOW! (I offered to be a ginnea pig!)

I will be talking with the Doctor/researcher (Dr.Amen) who developed this state-of-the-art brain scanning/testing and wrote the books on it....I'm planning to "pick HIS brain" heehee, no pun intended! (Fortunately his center is located very close to me,can you beleive it... he is known world wide!)

The reason I wrote all of this is to hopefully be able to share a new insight. Don't know what will come of it, but it is very interesting. At the very least they can teach therapy to enhanse the particular area that may be affected.
    The scan evaluates,anxiety, depression, subtypes of ADD, OCD, brain trauma, cognitive decline, memory problems, dementia (now there's me, LOL) aggressive or violent behavior, brain effects of substance abuse, behavioral problems, ect.

Hope this made some sense. If anyone is interested I will share the results when all the scanning is complete. Please check out the website and take the test online...it will help show the area of your brain that may be having problems! www.amenclinic.com

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but hey...ya never know! I would love to hear what anyone else thinks of this theory.

Susan B.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This is intersting! I've had a BEAM scan and a QEEG, which are along the same lines, but am not sure how much, if any, overlap exists. Both tests were abnormal. I know exactly what parts of my brain are injured from having Neuropsychological testing, which took 6 hrs. but is cheaper than a SPECT, I believe.
    I agree with you that we may have had overactive brains to begin with...at least I know I did.
    Please keep us posted on your results and your talk with the doctor.
    When a Moderator comes along, the website URL will be deleted from your post, so you might want to rewrite your post to give strong clues as to how to find the site you want people to look at,without actually giving the URL.
    Klutzo
  4. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

I had the brain spect scan. It showed inflamation or porr circulation of the blood vessels to the frontal lobes.
    The diagnosis on the report was fibromyalgia.
    I wish it had been increased activity but I knew better.
    For some reason Ginko or stuff that dialates the vessels give me a huge headache but I at least have an idea where the brain fog comes from.

It was an easy test. Just injected the dye and 1/2 hour later my head was tapped down and a small part of the machine circled my head for 45 minutes. I thought it was having trouble finding anything... Anyway no clastrophobia like with the brain MRI.

Mslo
  5. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Did they do a resting and a concentrating SPECT scan 24 hours apart? I am so curious and excited about this scan, can't wait until next week!

Did they set up a treatment plan for you? Did you find out anything helpful?

Supposedly they are suppose to do 2 scans and set up a specific treatment plan even including diet! I am thinking positive...I've read the zone diet is really suppose to help as well. Thanks for your info.

Susan B.
  6. amilyne

amilyne New Member

this is too wierd...i swear up until i founf out that i have this crap..i aleays thought i was mostly "normal"now its like i dont what parts of me are me and whats not really me..arrghhh...i like to write sometimes when i have an attention span to do it and one of the exact things that ive written is "ugh,i swear i have over_______ active thinking brain disorder" you can fill in the blank...and ive always thought i was just strange...

i hate fibro, fibro loves me
    why wont this crap just let me be
    a normal person for just one day
    so i can go out, have fun and play.

haha (think to the music of "this old man")well kind of anyway.
    --ami
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

New ideas are always exciting. Havnt looked at the site yet but do have a bit of an ignorant question. I had a neuro work up. During the mri they did some strobe lights and also injected sone dye during the last part. Also had 3 hrs. of cognitive testing. They said all was perfectly normal. I'm sure you will understand that I found that enormously comforting and frustrating.
    Question: If the mri was perfectly normal could the scan thing still pick something up? What do you think?
    KEEP US POSTED, IM MOST INTERESTED
  8. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Assessment of regional cerebral perfusion SPECT in chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Ichise M, Salit IE, Abbey SE, Chung DG, Gray B, Kirsh JC, Freedman M. Department of Radiology (Division of Nuclear Medicine), University of Toronto, Canada.

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a severely disabling illness of uncertain aetiology. It is characterized by a chronic, sustained or fluctuating sense of debilitating fatigue without any other known underlying medical conditions. It is also associated with both somatic and neuropsychological symptoms. Both physical and laboratory findings are usually unremarkable. Regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) was assessed in 60 clinically defined CFS patients and 14 normal control (NC) subjects using (SPECT).

Compared with the NC group, the CFS group showed significantly lower cortical/cerebellar rCBF ratios, throughout multiple brain regions (P < 0.05).

Forty-eight CFS subjects (80%) showed at least one or more rCBF ratios significantly less than normal values.
    The major cerebral regions involved were

frontal (38 cases, 63%),
    temporal (21 cases, 35%),
    parietal (32 cases, 53%) and
    occipital lobes (23 cases, 38%).
    The rCBF ratios of basal ganglia (24 cases, 40%) were also reduced.

SPECT provided objective evidence for functional impairment of the brain in the majority of the CFS subjects. The findings may not be diagnostic of CFS but SPECT may play an important role in clarifying the pathoaetiology of CFS. Further studies are warranted

SPECT and Mercury exposure.....

Cerebellar blood flow in methylmercury poisoning (Minamata disease).

Itoh K, Korogi Y, Tomiguchi S, Takahashi M, Okajima T, Sato H. Department of Radiology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, 1-1-1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860-8556, Japan.

We looked at regional cerebellar blood flow in patients with Minamata disease (MD) using (SPECT) on 15 patients with MD (eight men, seven women, aged 51-78 years, mean 70.5 years) and 11 control subjects (eight men, three women, aged 62-80 years, mean 72.5 years).

Regional blood flow was measured in the superior, middle, and inferior portions of the cerebellar hemispheres, and the frontal, temporal and occipital cerebral lobes.

The degree of cerebellar atrophy was assessed on MRI. There were significant differences in regional blood flow in all parts of the cerebellum between patients and control, but no significant decrease was observed in the cerebrum.

Blood flow was lower in the inferior cerebellum than in the other parts. Even in patients without cerebellar atrophy, flow was significantly decreased regional blood flow in the inferior part.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I get several online Psychiatric Journals in an attempt to keep up with my former profession. I see tons of info on ADD/ADHD all the time.
    I have never seen a test for adult ADD/ADHD as good as the one on Dr. Amen's site. Thanks so much for posting this!
    BTW, I came out negative,as I expected I would, as I am pretty much exactly the opposite of the typical ADD/ADHD person. In fact, I am ashamed to say that a large part of the problem I am having with controlling my anger is because I have several ADD/ADHD folks in my immediate environment, and they drive me crazy! I find them very hard to put up with. They probably feel the same way about me.
    I just wish I could find a tactful way to get my Brother-in-law and his wife to take this online test. Our nephew has ADHD and they are totally clueless as to where it came from, while I can clearly see where it comes from, as I long ago dx'd her with ADD, and him with ADHD. They have really messed up lives, and every one of their problems is due to this. If only they'd get dx'd and treated!
    Thanks for the excellent site.
    Klutzo
  10. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I can't wait to talk with this Doctor about the SPECT and CFID. Thank's to all of you for your input and interest..

Softy, from what my book says: "Brain Spect studies of today... (evidentally, older Spect equipment was slow and did not have the enhansed resolution that the new Scanners do) "With the higher resolution, we can see deeper into the areas of the brain with far greater clarity and show what CAT scans and MRI's cannot: How the brain functions"

The new scanners detrmine blood flow like the old ones did but It seems the difference is how deep the imaging can now go... and with the new studies that Dr. Amen is pioneering they use the imaging to determine brain function....

FIRST SCAN: they get the scan set up and veiw your brain at a resting state, after about three minutes they inject dye to get a closer look

SECOND SCAN (24 hours later) They give you differnt types of material that you have to concentrate on, like math or something ....again, after about 3 minutes thay again inject the dye and continue scanning....

REVEIW OF SCANS: with this type of scanning while the action in your brain is actually taking place they can finally see how your brain is "functioning" during tasks!
    Not just taking a scan and determining how the blood flow is in your brain (is they previously used to do.)This is much more than that.

DrAmen is being written up in Journals and text books for his work (boy, I sound like I selling a pitch for him, LOL!)

Anyway, I will let you know what happens and keep you poated on what I learn!These scans are like tailoring clothes to a specific person...to get the right treatment for the particular area in the brain that needs help!

My thought was,since so many of us have the same issues maybe these new scans can show some corralation and perhaps
    help devise a treatment plan in the future that will help!
    Again....who knows, just thinkin!

Susan B.

11. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

I must have had the discount version or my head was too small. They only did a one day scan. It was expensive. My treating doctor reviewed the scan. He likes a zone type diet. The hardest part was how painful it was laying still that long. Testing and trial and error are the only way we are going to get answers for treating this illness or finding a cure. Let us know how you do. Mslo