Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Started a new thread as the other post had 18 posts in it with no suggestions.

Rock, hope you dont mind that I put your post into a new one.

Here's a suggestion for our next book.

Dear Miss Demeanor by Joan Hess.

J. Hess is a new author to me. She has written several mysteries over the past 20 years. The books have the advantage of being short, less than 200 pages.

The writing is sophisticated w/ an acerbic wit. (The picture of the author looks nothing at all like I would expect.)

The book in question is 20 years old, but if folks can't get that one they can probably find another w/bookstore owner Claire Malloy as the amature detective.

As Abraham Lincoln allegedly said, "People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."

[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2007]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Life of Pi by Yann Martell. The MAN Booker prize,

'supposedly quite a strange book but very readable.

'A fabulous book...Forget the printed soap operas, Read Pi.' Jeanette Winterston

Story - 'After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen year old boy, named Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan and a 450 pound Royal Bengal tiger. The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary works of fiction in recent years.

Every page offers something of tension, humanity, surprise or even ecstasy.'

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hi there. I vote for Monkeewrench AKA Want to Play? By PJ Tracey. It's a murder mystery and it's pretty good and easy to read. It's not a new book either, so it would be easy to get hold of.

I'm still flaring. Hope everyone else is doing good.

5. mezombie

mezombie Member

I loved it the first time, and now that I'm re-reading it, I find I love it this time, as well. It's beautifully written, for those who appreciate how language can be used. The story is based on fictionalized characters involved in Vermeer's painting, "Girl with a Pearl Earring", and is narrated by the "girl" that posed for the painting. I highly recommend it!

From the book jacket:
    "History and fiction merge seamlessly in Tracy Chevalier's luminous novel about artistic vision and sensual awakening. Through the eyes of sixteen-year-old Griet, the world of 1660s Holland comes dazzlingly alive in this richly imagined portrait of a young woman who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebratd paintings."

This book was received excellent reviews and was a New York Times bestseller. Published in 1999, it's available through public libraries and in paperback.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2007]
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... I'm mid-Kingsolver/August and trying to figure out what I CAN eat year 'round.

I'll go with whatever is picked.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Life of Pi is a good suggestion. So good that it already was a book of the month; sometime last fall I think.

Never hear of PJ Tracey, Twins, but will look for her. I remember the Dick Tracey comic strip when I was a kid. I think his sweethear's name was Tess.

I am off to the library shortly to get some CDs rather than books.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I didn't notice many suggestions on my last post, either!
    I've also been off the computer, since I've been feeling worse. So thanks for jumping in!

Life of Pi was indeed one of our Book Club books. June of last year, I think. Book Club has been going since April or May of last year; that's about 15 books so far.

Rock, can you list all of the titles we've had?

9. rockgor

No, I can't list all the books. Especially since I didn't read all of them. A couple I didn't get from the library in timely fashion. A couple I didn't like.

I remember you made a list when the book club had been going for several months.

I have discovered that my perception of Alzheimer's was wrong. I thought it was short-term memory that went AWOL, but the DD affects long term memory too.

Now then, hurry up and get better. Perhaps a hot toddy w/ Irish whiskey would have healing powers. I hope your current troubles are fleeting. Bet you do too. Haha.

10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

so is Life of Pi worth reading?????? You don't need to list all the books you've already read, but thanks anyway.

Hope you start to feel better soon Ken.

I've just come out of a very....... long relapse and I cant believe how great I feel, getting up every day and getting dressed, even getting out for a wee while on some days......I've spent most of the last 6 months in bed. Wonderful!!

I wont post any other suggestion, happy to see what others put up.

11. rockgor

That's great that you are feeling so much better. Wish I would have one of those spontaneous combustion things.

Please continue to post re: what you are reading. I have discovered new books and new authors thru the club. Right now I'm checking out Charles Bukowski. Mentioned by somebody in a post. Not sure if I've tried his books or not. He was a Los Angeles author.

I got a book for ten cents at the library sale. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon.

"Best first novel I've read in years...magical and mysterious...luminous...reminiscent of The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye..scintillates...extraordinary...wonderful...vivid..."
    blah, blah blah...

I am in chapter 7 and, dispite the glowing quotes, so far find it to be a bunch of pretentious silliness. If it doesn't get a lot better in a hurry, it's going back to the library for another book sale.

All for now.

12. mezombie

mezombie Member

Isn't Michael Chabon hopelessly overrated? I read one of his totally forgetable (or maybe it's just that I can't remember anything these days, either, hehe) books some time ago. Couldn't stand it. I don't understand why he's so popular.
  13. rockgor

I didn't know Chabon was popular. Can't recall ever seeing anything by him before. I have already put the book in the donate pile.

14. mezombie

mezombie Member

Yeah, Chabon's books tend to end up on the best seller lists. We discussed one of his books in a book club I used to be a member of. The people who adored the book and thought Chabon was brilliant were all in their twenties or early thirties. The rest of us hated it.

Maybe I'm just turning into an old curmedgeon (sp?) before my time.
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Since I'm so wiped out at the moment (still), would you mind posting a voting thread with the suggested titles for September? I'm ok, but at the moment, it's about all I can do to just check in each day. Much thanks!

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2007]