New Thread Pun Intended Crochet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Jun 8, 2007.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Well, I am starting a new project and I hope I complete it. I am making "granny squares" for a afghan. Has anyone made a granny square afghan?

If so, I was wondering if it was hard to sew all the squares together, or did you crochet them together?

I have picked a really beautiful varigated yarn with the following colors:

tangerine - light
    yellow - light
    red - orangey
    grape - light pinkish

It sounds like weird colors but surprising how the granny square comes out so nice. I need to pick a color to trim the squares. I was thinking either rasberry or black.

Lastly, has anyone ever had their afghan "blocked"? Did you take it to the drycleaners for that?

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2007]
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I have made several. I had one with black and one with country blue.

It all depends on your last color. for striking effect if your last color is light I would trim in black if your last color is dark I would trim in rasberry. Just for the wow factor.

As far is block some dry cleaners don't block but I have done both. I like the dry cleaners to do it ...much easier lol. good luck your colors sound pretty. show us in pic on profile when you get done
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The only way I know to get the blocks together is to sew them. You use a large plastic needle that has a big enough eye to get the yarn through.

My aunt made one that had a finishing row in between the squares. I think she added it AFTER she had sewn them together. It looked very nice, but I don't know how she did it.

When using a variegated yarn, be sure to use a contrasting color for the trim. Once I tried to match one of the colors in the yarn and it just ended up blending in. You couldn't even see a distinction between the variegated part and the solid color. It just blurred together. From your description of the yarn, I think the black would look great for a trim. It would really make the squares pop.

I posted a new picture in my profile of an afghan I made a long time ago. This is the spiderweb pattern. It looks like granny squares, but isn't. I put the scalloped edging on this one. Hope you can see it okay.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2007]
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the replys. I think I will trim the squares in rasberry. It is such a hard decision. I went to the yarn store today and put my square up against so many colors. I also thought about black but rasberry will be very pretty.

I will take it to the cleaners once finished. Wish me luck I complete this project!!!!!

Thanks again.
  5. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Back in time I used to do lots of crocheting. It's an awesome pastime if your hands allow it.

On your squares joining I've done both by sewing it up with the matching yarn or crocheting them. Both look are great just don't pull too tight and warp your squares. As to your blocking...if you're using synthetic yarns you can do that yourself too. I used to pull it as straight as possible then toss it into the dryer with a damp bath towel for 20 to 30 minutes. Most often worked well for me and saved money too. Keep in mind that whichever way you finish your afghan for blocking usually means that's how you care for it later on.

Traditionally the Grannie square were trimmed either in black or white. Now people are more apt to choose a color that blends with a color theme they found for their base colors.