new to all of this and looking for answers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smthwood, Mar 5, 2003.

1. smthwood

smthwood New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia just yesterday. I am really confused by all of this and really need some support. i feel as though a lot of people don't really believe how sick i feel. I am constantly being told
    , "you just need to push yourself." What they don't realize is that just getting outr of bed in the morning is pushing myself. I would really like to find someone out there who would be willing to correspond with me so i know i am not alone. Thanks.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to our world. I am so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with FM, it is a frustration to say the least!

You have come to the right board, we have some of the most terrific people here that anywhere on the net!

IF you will just go to our 'Community' and 'Library' links at the top of this page and read all you can about this illness it will be a tremendous help to you. You will need to educate yourself, as most doctors do not have the answers for us. We really need to help ourselves, and then get the doctor to work with us as for relief.

Yes, you are so right, family and friends do not understand that just getting out of bed in the morning is 'pushing' yourself'!
    I will bet you look great, and not sick at all? thats one of our biggest complaints. People can't SEE this illness, so they don't believe we are sick.

First lesson in this illness, is don't let others get you down, and don't let anyone tell you its all 'in your head' either. Its not, its an illness, and we are sick, even if it does not show up on our forheads like a big purple horn.

Tell us more about yourself, you did not fill out your profile? There are many members who would love to exchange emails with you, hopefully you find someone near your age, and share the same interest besides this illness.

You will have many questions, so please feel free to ask them, we will try to answer and help you get a better quality of life.

I have had FM for over 20 years, and I have learned how to deal with the 'nonbelievers', and how to make my life more confortable, and productive too.

Glad you found us, and do let us hear from you often.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

You have come to the best place to learn about FM. A number of your questions will be answered by reading the articles in the library. Many more answers can be found by typing a word or two into "Search Messages" at the top of the page. There are some good books available that have pointers in how to educate your doctors as well as your friends and family. Devin Starlanyl, MD. has written several that are worth getting. Mark Pellegrino, MD. is another. These people are both affected with FM. Please do as Shirl suggested and fill out your profile. In the upper right hand corner of the page, you will see "View/edit profile". Click on this when you are logged on, and just fill in the blanks with whatever you feel comfortable sharing. Then when you click on a person's name, you will learn a bit about that individual. If you have questions, and you will, just ask. Somebody will have your answers.
    Kathryn
  4. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

talk with you. Click on my name and it has my email address in my bio.

Karen
  5. bejo

bejo New Member

Hi,I'm bejo.Welcome..You've come to a good site for support.You're right,it is hard to make it day by day without support.It's hard for people without this disease to understand how we feel.I've had it for over 12 years and some people still don't understand.Just remember it is real, no matter what anyone says.We'll be here for you.
    I'm sending you big (((((((((hugs)))))))).
    bejo
  6. Katlover

Katlover New Member

You are NOT alone! I'm fairly new to this site, but have been diagnosed for almost 2 years. I've just turned 40 and have no kids but 2 dogs and 3 cats that think that they are human!!
    There is a wealth of information here - some are in the medical field and some are folks that have had this DD for a lot longer than you and I and (thank God!) share all of their ups and downs with all of us "newbies."
    I still have co-workers and some family that say just what you hear - "push yourself" or "it's all in your head." Don't listen to them. If you push yourself too hard you will only end up in more pain and it will take longer to get over the "rough periods." Learn to stand up for yourself like I've had to do. You have to tell them "NO" when they want you to overdo yourself or do something that you don't want to do. It's hard, but it does get easier with time. I'm sorry you have to deal with this kind of pressure along with having Fibro. It really does make a nasty duo, doesn't it?
    If you ever need to talk, please come here or e-mail me (e-mail address is in my bio too)! We are all in this together!!
    Kat
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2003]
  7. jka

jka New Member

our world isnt fun. people can be rude & not very understanding. i have lupus & fibro . people are always telling me how good i look, when i feel like someone spent the nite beating me with a baseball bat!some days are better then others.it helps if you can find someone close to where you live to talk to. hopefully someone with fibro.
    know there are people out here who do care.

hoping the best for you

kathy c