New to Board/Advice..esp. on Wellbutrin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mek918, Jul 21, 2003.

1. mek918

mek918 New Member

Hi -

I'm new to the board. I'm 33 and have suffered from chronic pain for 3 1/2 years. I've seen countless doctors and no one can give me a firm diagnosis. I suffer from auto-immune problems, but am not convinced it's fibro or CFS.

My main problem is severe neck/upper back pain, which often leads to headaches. During the worst times, I have severe pressure (like sinus pressure), numbness and tingling in my face, particularly behind my right eye. Occasional fullness in my ears that is so bad I want to commit myself to a mental facility (bc doctors say there is nothing wrong..)

This all started about 3 years ago with a bout of the flu.

I have constant pain, which is made worse by sitting at a desk at work all day. Every night I go home to ice packs or my jacuzzi. I cannot exercise at all, bc it causes my muscles to spasm. Even walking. The most I can do is light stretching.

I have tried numerous medications. Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants do absolutely nothing. Painkillers actually give me headaches. Elavil just made me sleepy.

I had sinus surgery for chronic sinus infections in March. I do think I needed it however, a lot of the time, I may not have really had sinus infections. It may just be my mystery disease.

I don't have all the classic symptoms of FMS/CFS - my pain is never below my mid-back. So I've always been hesitant to classify myself with one of these diseases. But I don't know what else it can be and no one else has an answer.
    I am being treated by a neuromuscular dentist for TMJ. I thought maybe that was the cause. But it's not helping.
    I see a chiropractor about every two weeks and get massage and ultrasound therapy, which helps some in the short term.

I could go on and on, but this is getting very long...
    Anyway, my doctor has prescribed Wellbutrin. Is anyone taking it and if so, what can I expect? Also will be going to a pain management clinic next month, but I don't know what to expect, or to suggest, from the doctors there.

My husband and I have been waiting for a while now to try to get pregnant - hoping one of these treatments would be the miracle cure. But so far nothing. I don't want to wait much longer, but at the same time, I can barely make it through a day of work now. I don't know how I will do it if these symptoms persist, or worsen, during pregnancy.

Would love anyone's thoughts or advice.
  2. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

HI and welcome to the boards. Tehre are a lot of very wise and experrienced people here......and you will also find much emptahy and heart here as well.

I started on WellbutrinSR 150 mg once per day about a month ago. The first few weeks I had the oddest most colorful realistic almost hallucinogenic dreams. They weren't bad or horrid or anything, just very odd and very much Like I was in the middle of them. they are gone now and so is my teariness.

I think the Wellbutrin has helped me have more energy during the day, has helped clear my head some (I weaned off Paxil which was very bad for me). I think it might also make me thirsty, but I am trying hard to drink tons of water each day and I think that just makes it easier to do so.

Good luck!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Mek, welcome to the board. I had many of the symptoms you described, especially the upper back pain, headaches, sinuses, and neck pain. I was finally diagnosed with FM.

Most of the pain that I do get is upper back, four pressure points near and around the shoulder blades. Also across the upper chest wall.

As the years passed it seemed to travel to other areas, but the worst is always the upper back.

What helped me the most was taking magnesium, it will stop those spasms. It seems most people are deficient in this mineral. You may want to have your magnesium level checked.

What helped with the constant sinus pain, face, head, eyes, and even my ears at times, was drinking half my body weight in OUNCES of water a day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt.

The book I read that helped me with this is; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies, and Lupus' by F. Batmanghelidj, MD.

You might want to read it.

I cannot help with the Wellbutrin, I have never taken it.

Again, welcome to the board, and I do hope you get some help soon.

Shalom, Shirl

PS I just realized that you said you use ice for the pain? That would make me go through the roof. Heat has always been the best for me with FM pain. Just thought I would mention this.

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2003]
  4. shazz

shazz New Member

It didnt' do much for me as an antidepressant, didn't make me want to quit smoking, (it's zyban under another name) so I quit taking it. The only thing I can say is start SLOWLY.
    It is kind of an "upper" as far as AD's go, and too large a dose to start will surely bring on some insomnia for you.
    The good thing is it does seem to give some energy where none exists.
    That is about all I can tell you. I started on 150 a day at first and for me that was even too much, they do make a 100 so maybe you could try starting there until you work you way up to the standard 300 per day.