New to board and DES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hidn, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this board,but would like to ask if anyone has a history of being a DES daughter (or son?) I am trying to find out if there is any connection to Fibro and other autoimmune diseases (of course all the doctors say No Way!)
    I know this web site and board will have lots of info for me. I am so glad to have had a friend send me this way!
    Thank you
    Hidn 52 almost 53 years old
  2. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this board,but would like to ask if anyone has a history of being a DES daughter (or son?) I am trying to find out if there is any connection to Fibro and other autoimmune diseases (of course all the doctors say No Way!)
    I know this web site and board will have lots of info for me. I am so glad to have had a friend send me this way!
    Thank you
    Hidn 52 almost 53 years old
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I thought about this years ago, but have just put it away and have never mentioned it to a doctor. My mother was convinced this was relevant and, before she died, she begged me to check it out. Do you think this theory has merit?
    I'm excited to see the results. I was born in 1955 and my mother was given DES to prevent miscarriage.
    Good thinking, Hidn!!!!!
    Welcome to "our" comfort zone and "our" information source!

To our health!
    Kady
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

caused but, can't remember what they are right now. Good q. Yes you are right this is board has lots of great info.
    We have both FMS and CFS and one son Dxed with FMS. The others do have some symtoms. We have 5 boys.

Again welcome, Kim and Gary
  5. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Thank you for your warm welcomes! I dont know if there is anything to the DES theory, but there is no research on DES and autoimmune issues. Kady you should have a doc who is savvy check you out there is a form of cancer linked to DES, so make sure the doc knows what he is doing! Thank you all again for your welcome, I have felt so alone since I got really sick last year. Now I dont...
    Hidn
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I had cervical cancer when I was 18....my doctor thought DES was the culprit. My brother is sterile....his doctor thought DES was to blame!
    Be well, sweetie, and write anytime!
    Love,
    Kady
  7. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

you've found a great site w/ lots of info.

The American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (www.aarda.org) might have some info for you. They do have some interesting info on women & the greater incidences of autoimmune related diseases.

Take care. Michele
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

No history here of being a daughter of DES..But I must tell you that my Dr. believes that FMS is a auto-immune disease..A lot do not..I also have AIH (autoimmune hepatitis) - where your immune system attacks your liver; also Raynold's Syndrome, (where it usually hits your toes and fingers, turning them white, purple, and then back to normal)..Right now, my Rhuemy is trying to rule out Lupus also another autoimmune disease..I also think my FMS got worse when I got AIH..
    Donna (48yrs and counting...LOL)
    **I also have Osteoarthritis, but they keep checking to see if I don't have Rhuemotoid Arthritis ( another autoimmune)[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2002]
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Hidn, welcome to the board. Glad you have found our site.

We have loads of information here, for your question you can go to the top of this board and used the links for additional information.

Just stopped to welcome you.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Kady,
    Was your cancer Clear Cell Carcinoma? That is a direct result of DES exposure ! There are studies on this to verify it. :( At least they have done some research on it!
    Your doc is right...Hope you are ok now? Welll that is so relative isnt it?? Good days are sooo few and far between sometimes, but what a gift when we have them!
    Denise
  11. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Michele
    Thank you for the website info. Again to everyone I feel like I belong!! For so long I felt sooo alone in all this, not anymore. I know many of you feel this way, but for me it is a lifesaver!
    Thank you
    Denise
  12. teach6

teach6 New Member

so other person with DES question can see it.
    Barbara
  13. clueless

clueless New Member

I am a mother who took des to keep from losing my daughter after numerous miscarriages. I finally got her to be checked for any damage done from the medicine and the doctor found that her cervic had started to break down but had built back up to a healthy tissue. She was truly blessed but she could not carry a baby to full term.One was 6 and 1/2 months weighing a little over 2# and the other a little over 3# and was advised no more children.The baby I had after she was born had many problems and we lost him at 6 months old.I always blamed the des. as I was given it for 7 months which was too long a period.The things done to us without full understanding of the out-comes.!!!!
  14. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Clueless,
    How awful to have been given something that years later
    we find has done damage to the child we only wanted to protect! I know my mom felt guilt, and altho I tried to tell her it was ok I know it hit hard. The govt knew that this was not a good thing as early as the 1940's. and yet there are many DES daughters and mothers living with a legacy of the unknown :( How sad! Still today it is given to cows in their food!!
    I hope your daughter is alright , I too was able to have 2 children against all odds. How wonderful that has been
    I am sorry for your losses, I wish you only great happiness :)
    Denise