New to board and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tannat, Apr 26, 2003.

1. tannat

tannat New Member

Good morning all! I have recently been diagnosed with FM, CFS, and IBS...and who knows what eles I may have. The good thing is that after 2 years of test after test I know what I don't have! I am angry now that the drs didn't diagnose me earlier! One even had me admit myself into a psychiactric hospital. My current dr does not know a lot about this condition and keeps asking me if the diagnosis sounds right... shouldn't she know? I thought that was what I was paying her for! I have an appointment next week with a PT, but don't know what eles I should be doing. I need to get referals from my primary dr, but she doesn't have a clue where to send me (I live in the Grand Rapids, MI area). I'm not real big on taking meds, probably because my trip to the hospital had me on Wellbutrin, Effexor, Seraquil, and Celexa all at the same time. I also get bi-monthly B-12 shots and take meds for GURD (I have a hyatal(sp?)hernia and have had to have my esophogus stretched) I am now only taking a low dose of Elavil and half the old dose of Effexor. I suspect I have had FM and CFS for at least 2-3 years now, and have had the IBS for most of my life. I deal with it the best I can, but the fatigue is starting to affect my marriage.
    I didnt' mean to let this get so long, I just wanted to say hello and let you know I really appreciate the information that you all share.

Tanna
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Tanna, glad to have you join us. Your story about doctors are just about the rule of thumb around here. Most of them do not have a clue when it comes to FM/CFS.

You could try the 'Doctors Referral' link at the top of this board for a doctor in your area that is familiar with these illnesses.

Educating yourself is about the best way to go, then you can help the doc help you!

Most of us have a lot of the symptoms you described. Some of us take meds, others supplements, some take both. Diet is also important with the IBS.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. tannat

tannat New Member

Thank you for answering!
    I would appreciate it if you or anyone else could give me more information on what kind of dietary plan I should be using. And also, is there anywhere my husband can get info on FM/CFS from a caregiver/spouses point of view? He is just not getting it, and the stress is killing me!!! He goes from ignoring I have a problem to treating me like an invalid.

Thank you,
    Tanna
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Glad you are here, but sorry you need to be. There are several good books written by Devin Starlanyl, MD, that you can use to educate yourself about this. I believe that she also wrote one for families. You can also click on "Message Boards" at the top of this page and when all the categories come up, select "Caregivers". Any time you are down in the dumps and need a good laugh or two, select "Chit Chat". Most of us spend a lot of time over there trying to forget our problems.
    Kathryn
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It makes me sad that in 2003 people with Fibro are still going through the same stuff with doctors as I did back in 1986 when I first got it!
    There is a ton of info on the Internet on Fibro, both for you and your hubby. Do a websearch and prepare to spend days and days learning. I believe Dr. Devin Starlanyl's website has a "Guide for Relatives and Companions" that is short and to the point. We're not allowed to post URL's here, so just put her name into a search engine to find her website.
    My GERD has all but healed by taking Calcium Citrate, 500 mgs. with each meal. It really helps.
    Klutzo