New to board (and long winded)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daynakb, Nov 5, 2006.

1. daynakb

daynakb New Member

I was glad to find this site. Sometimes it seems I'm all alone with my fibromyalgia since it's hard to get others to understand, as I'm sure others here have experienced.

Although I've had symptoms for many years, I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 years ago. We were living in another state at that time and I was working as an administrative assistant to two pediatric endocrinologists. I quit that job due to worsening pain, loss of concentration and a severe bout of depression. A few weeks later my husband lost his job and we ended up moving to another state where his family lives. That was almost 2 years ago. I started working at home doing general transcription work. Hubby had a hard time finding and keeping jobs for a very long time and I had to pick up the slack. I ended up working 65 or more hours a week from May 2005 until July 2006 and still couldn't pay all the bills all the time. It's been a very stressful time and really took a toll on my body.

In July I had to stop working. I just couldn't take it anymore. Luckily hubby found a good job in early August but it still takes 2 to pay the bills. I filed for SSDI right away and also got an attorney before filing to help. Social Security sent me to a doc who did nothing in the way of tests, unless you count having to hop with both feet, and a psychologist who did seem very concerned with my lack of sleep and stress levels. I received my initial denial last month. According to them, my "arms and hands function well enough" to do my job. Too bad my arms and hands aren't the only body parts involved. My attorney is submitting the reconsideration.

Another problem was that I hadn't been to a doctor since March 2005. When my husband lost his job we lost our insurance and with the money problems we were having I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket. I was also working 9 am to 9 pm Monday thru Friday and 2 pm to 7 pm or later on Saturdays and Sundays and had no time to go to the doctor. Since I stopped working in July I have done some checking and found a clinic that has accepted me as a "low income" patient so I only pay $10 per visit and they help with meds. I had my first appointment October 30.

When I was diagnosed I was given Flexeril for a muscle relaxer, Trazadone for sleep and Ultram for pain. The Ultram made me severely ill and had to be stopped but no other pain reliever was prescribed. Trazadone on it's own does nothing for me but I was told to take it and the Flexeril every night before bed to help me sleep. But the Flexeril completely knocks me out and with both together I can't get up in the morning. I have literally slept 22 straight hours with these meds before. Oh, I also have anxiety attacks and was given Xanax for these. I stopped taking the meds at night before bed since I couldn't function that way. Xanax does not made me sleepy but I take it sometimes to help me fall asleep as it helps shut off my brain so all those thoughts aren't rushing through my head all the time.

This new doctor took me off the Trazadone, told me to only take the Flexeril if I need it for a muscle relaxer but not to sleep and told me for now to take the Xanax at night to help with sleep. He also put me on Lexapro. I told him the Xanax would help me fall asleep faster but it wouldn't help me stay asleep. I wake up several times through the night if I manage to sleep at all. He told me to try it for now and we would discuss how things were going on my next visit Nov 13. He also ordered the usual labs, with a thyroid check, an ECG for my heart murmur and X-rays of my neck and lower back. He's looking for disc disease. He thinks I have this and that it could be the main problem with my headaches. My attorney seemed excited about the prospect of my having disc disease but I'm not so sure I'm up for this. I'm not even really sure what it is but will talk to him about it next Monday.

If you have stuck with this for this long, I know that SSDI can take forever. But is there anything I should be talking to my doctor about? Should I be worried about disc disease? I'm very fearful of strong meds since there is a long history of addiction on my father's side of the family, alcohol and drug related, both the illegal and prescription varieties. I hardly ever take the Flexeril because of the way it affects me and I don't like being out of control like that. I worry about taking Xanax too often as I've heard it's addictive. I'm also the type of person that doesn't even take aspirin for headaches. I just don't like having to rely on meds and also worry about the stronger ones because of my father's and his family's addictions. I haven't had any problems with addiction but still . . .

I would really appreciate any advice I can get. And I would like to take this time to thank everyone here for their input and the fact that this site exists.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Wow, that's quite a story!! But I'm sorry you've had such a rough time.

I'm glad you've found us on this board, you'll never have to feel alone in this again.

As for your meds? I'm surprised they took you off of Trazodone...it's a wonderful antidepressant that works by putting you to sleep. Doesn't work much as an antidepressant but it will give you a great night's sleep.

The other thing I was wondering is do you take a magnesium supplement? We're all deficient in this mineral and taken as a balanced supplement (mine is calcium/magnesium/zinc) it will help your muscles relax.

I rarely have muscle pain since starting this supplement although I can't say the changes were immediate.

I don't know anything about SSDI so I can't help you there.

Welcome to the site....

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I know we're all different, and you have mentioned that you have a history of addiction in your family, but I don't think you need to worry about taking pain killers if you are in a lot of pain.

I take oxycodone and hydrocodone for breakthrough pain, and never get the least bit woosy or high from it. In fact, it only numbs the pain very slightly. A person in chronic pain needs to be stabilized, or the brain can make the pain even worse and makes your body even more sensetized to pain.

Studies on pain and painkillers show that only a very small percentage of people in chronic pain actually become addicted to the painkillers.

Trazadone, Flexeril, lyrica, wellbutrin, xanaflex, elavil, effexor, fentanyl pain patches, and many other meds I was given did nothing for my pain. I know they help some here, but we are all different.

Keep an open mind about trying new stuff until you get some positive results. For me, it's lorazepam, soma, oxycodone, and hydrocodone. I also take magnesium suppliments.

I applied for SSDI in Aug. '06 and was approved in Oct. '06, on my first try. I have fibro, CMP, degenerative disc disease, hearing loss, depression and anxiety.

Best of luck in your quest for proper pain management and with the SSDI process.
    Mini
  4. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

welcome. you will find lots of support and good information here!!!

bigmama2
  5. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Welcome to the board!

Kat