New to board .....Frustrated with Social Security..Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dixielanddelight, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Dixielanddelight

Dixielanddelight New Member

Hi Yall,

I am new here but I have some major issues that has happened w/social security. Heres what happened.

In November 2007, I filed for disability. In Jan 2008, I was denied. On Feb 6, 2008, my attorney filed an appeal.

Well I had been waiting on some kind of information or something so I contacted my attorney who in turn stated that I needed to contact Social Security because SS would not talk to my attorney. So I contacted SS in July 2008 and they told me they had not received my appeal and that my attorney needed to file the appeal again along w/a good cause letter stating why it had not been received. I told my attorney and he sent in the appeal again w/the good cause letter. I then contacted SS to check to see if they received it. They again said they did not receive it. So my attorney faxed a copy of the appeal w/the good cause letter to the supervisor of SS. Still supposedly didn't receive it.

I finally decided to go to my attorney's office to get the paperwork and hand deliver it to the SS Office 2 weeks ago. The guy behind the desk told me "your attorney knows he did not fax this paperwork". I couldn't believe he said that when I had the confirmation of the fax sitting in front of me. So then he goes to the back and comes back tot he window and continues to tell me that my appeal has been sitting on somebody's desk since Feb 6, 2008 and it had not been put into the system, nor processed or anything. This was now in the last week of August. The guy also says that it will take approximately 15-17 months before I am able to get a court date even after I have waited 6 months since my attorney has filed the appeal. So that means I waited 6 months and still gotta wait at least another 15-17 months!!

What is wrong w/these people?!?! They have no concern for others and I dont understand it. I have stacks and stacks of medical records. In my denial they did state that I do have restrictions but since I was a bill collector in the past that I could do that type of work again. I cannot sit for that long of time. I have had to buy a laptop in order to get online because I cannot sit in the recliner that I have pushed up to the desktop. I hurt constantly due to back problems and fibromyalgia. I have to go on the 29th of Sept to see a 3rd neurosurgeon to check on having back surgery. The first 2 were worried about having it so I will be seeing a 3rd one.

If anybody has any information that could help me on this please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for reading and hopefully helping
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2008]
  2. whoachief

whoachief New Member

they don't care!!! Most of those employees at social security just go there every day to get their paycheck & they don't care about anyone or anything.
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Since you are new here, I would like to point out a section at the top of the main page called the sticky section. There is a Social Security thread where people have asked questions and gotten some answers.

Perhaps you could get some help there. Also, I started a thread asking for peoples testimonies. Perhaps this would help you get some ideas.

Good luck, don't lose hope.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sorry I cannot give and advice but there is a very interesting, informative website called disability secrets. com.

My brother studied it a few weeks before applying and was approved in 2 months. He has spinal stenosis but still gets around fine.
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

so you need patience...attornies know its a waiting game too.they can only do so much..SSDi has to do most of it.

SSDI is so back loged it take months,,,,,just the way it is....
  6. landra

landra New Member

I would contact my Representative or Senator and see if they cannot get the 6 mos. "credited" on your waiting time!! After all it was SSA's fault!!
  7. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I am sorry this happened to you. When I first applied for disability I thought of using an attorney, but then decided to use a company called Allsup. They handled all my paperwork and did everything in a timely manner. I don't know if it's too late for you to ditch this guy, but if you decide to, give Allsup a chance. Quite a few of us here have used them with good results.
  8. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I know it is frustrating. I filed for my SS 10/05 after quiting work 4/05. I was denied twice and won at the judicial level. It was 2 1/2 years into the process and I was still waiting for a judge to be assigned to my case.

I wrote my congressman and they got my hearing date and judge assigned. I won on 5/9/08. A lot of friends etc. have waited about 3 years from start to finish. That is no unusual.

What I would strongly suggest, get the book "Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability". It has valuable information in there about filing, and how they make their decisions etc. You can find it on Amazon or have a book store order it for you. It is a bible when it comes to filing for disability.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged. The waits are getting shorter it seems.

M J
  9. Dixielanddelight

I did contact my local senator the day i went into the SS office...I had to fill out a privacy form so that they could talk to me. I didnt think anything would happen but I got a letter in the mail today and apparently he has contacted the SS office and they sent him a letter back and he will be contacting me shortly.

Its not the fact of waiting because I know it takes time to get awarded..My problem is why did it sit on somebodys desk for 6 whole months and never get put into the system or processed or anything. That is what is really aggrevating because In that 6 months time I could have already had stuff going on or something but instead it wasnt even put into the system so that my attorney could talk to them.

The attorney didnt know that they hadnt gotten the paperwork until I told them because ODAR would not talk to them until it was in ODAR's hands.

I wonder now what the senator will wind up doing since he knows now what has happened. I didnt think he would care until I got the letter today.

Thank you to yall who have responded. I am new here and just started yesterday. I have really enjoyed reading yalls posts.
  10. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Oh, how extremely frustrating! As others here have said, this is a good time to contact your Congressperson. It was the responsibility of the SS office to input your file info in a timely fashion, they didn't and they should do something to make this right.

You go girl...and welcome to the board, too.

11. Dixielanddelight

How do i contact Allsup? What exactly is that? Ive seen it on here but never heard of it till i came here to this board.

My attorney told me that they couldnt do anything because SS office wouldnt talk to them until the SS office got the paperwork up to ODAR.

In the meantime, my pain mgmt dr is wanting me to have back surgery because I have 2 torn discs that are leaking, bulging disc, DDD, scolosis, lordosis, Artritis in my facet joints, and fibromyalgia so I am having issues working.

The attorneys secretary told me last week that the SS office is slammed because of all the hurricanes and the paperwork had to come here so it might take longer to get approved. Problem is it has been that way for years.

Just feel like I got messed up somewhere through the system and if I fire my attorney and hire allsup then what happens to my paperwork?