New to board & have a few questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildirishrose, Dec 10, 2005.

1. wildirishrose

wildirishrose New Member

Hello !

Nice to find this board !

I was diagnosed with FMS & CFS last January. Of course, I knew things hadn't been right for years ( 27 years actually ! )and was hampered by a mis-diagnosis of Lyme disease 7 years ago. Well, at least now I have a diagnosis.

My problem is that the Dr. I have refuses to prescribe pain meds. He is completely anti- narcotics and said dealing with pain is better than becoming addicted to pain meds.He said that since this is a chronic, lifelong condition I should basically " learn to live with it ". Now, I don't have to tell any of you that that is an unrealistic expectation. He did prescribe Flexeril, and I don't find it much help, especially during a flair.

I do not have insurance and have been denied SSI, so I can't really shop around for someone who can actually help me. I live in CT. and wondered if anyone might have any suggestions for me. The pain & depressions as a result of the chronic pain is driving me to the edge. Any thoughts, help, support would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi Wildirishrose,
    Is there a state insurance plan in CT?? If so, I recommend Cymbalta for pain and depression of FM. It is expensive (I have a 30.00 co-pay, but I have heard that it is over a hundred a month). Some on this board go with
    all natural supplements. I did try Guaifenesin and Malic Acid and Magnesium. The Guai helped a bit with the pain, but so far the best for me has been the Cymbalta. I'm still trying to deal with the insomnia, but if I can get my insurance to cover lunesta that would be my choice.
    Welcome to this board, I hope you find some answers here
    that help you.
    Hugs, Nanna
  3. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I'm in RI :)

My rheumatologist does not like narcotics either. I had been taking flexeril - which also did nothing for me, and vicodin for pain. That was prescribed by my primary care doc.

So, the rheumy tried me on voltarin (a stronger type motrin) and that did nothing as well. So now he has prescribed me Ultracet (pain med with tylenol). He didn't want me on addictive medicine, but this one has a warning that it can be habit forming (I guess not as bad as vicodin).

Anyhow, in my opinion, I don't like to be medicated but when I just can't take it anymore, I want to be able to take something to give me relief. I have been showing my docs that I am doing everything in my power to help myself (Phyiscal therapy, eating right, etc) so they hopefully know that I'm not just wanting to be medicated for the sake of it.

Try talking to your doc about non-addictive drugs, and maybe he will prescribe something along those lines (it's easy for them to say live with it when they don't have to!).

Kathi
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I live in Rhode Island.I know of a fantastic clinic.My doctor is there.She completely understands FM And CFS .

Has no problem prescribing pain meds.She tries every thing she can to help me.

The clinic is in Pascoag RI.It is just over the line from Putnam CT.

The visits go by your income.Also they have a pharmacy right there.Most meds are between 1.00 and 10.00.

If you are low income the visits are 15.00 for a physical.
    They also do the blood work and ex rays right there.

If you are close to Putnam let me know.Ill give you the address and # plus her name.

Sue