New to board...hello!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnitaQuiles, Dec 9, 2002.

1. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hello,
    I have had CFS/FMS/costochondritis/etc.. for over 6 years. I am soooooo glad to have found this message board. It is hard to comunicate with other people who DO NOT understand our syndrome. We are NOT contagious, it is NOt in OUR MINDS, and also IT is REAL...this pain is real.
    Has anyone suffered from costal pain? I would like to hear from you. This condition (costochondritis) really hurts and it is so constant in my life....sometimes it is very hard to cope with it. I apply heat pads and it helps a lot. Also recently I have had muscle spasms in my thigh area....left leg. Has anyone experienced that before?
    I will appreciate any comments, advice, any replies.

take care...your fibro friend from the south.
  2. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hello,
    I have had CFS/FMS/costochondritis/etc.. for over 6 years. I am soooooo glad to have found this message board. It is hard to comunicate with other people who DO NOT understand our syndrome. We are NOT contagious, it is NOt in OUR MINDS, and also IT is REAL...this pain is real.
    Has anyone suffered from costal pain? I would like to hear from you. This condition (costochondritis) really hurts and it is so constant in my life....sometimes it is very hard to cope with it. I apply heat pads and it helps a lot. Also recently I have had muscle spasms in my thigh area....left leg. Has anyone experienced that before?
    I will appreciate any comments, advice, any replies.

take care...your fibro friend from the south.
  3. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Anita:
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the board!!! I'm new myself and it has been a tremendous help. I don't suffer from costal pain,but have it everywhere else. I use heating pads too which help and also ultram for the pain. I also do a gentle stretching form of yoga which REALLY helps. I also have had it for 6 years.
    You will find so much knowledge here and I'm sure someone with costal pain will answer.
    Again, you're not alone and welcome!!!!
    northwoodssue
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have had Fibro for 17 yrs. and Costo for 15 yrs. I find that heat helps, esp. keeping my chest and neck warm in cold weather. Xanax helps, and so does wearing a sports bra, so I don't bounce and pull on those tender muscles. You can go to "search previous posts" on the front page of the Message Boards, and put in "costo-chondritis" and you should get many of the previous posts on this topic. The pain in your thigh.....is it on the outside of the thigh where it joins the hip? If so, it is probably trochanteric bursitis, which is very common in FMS, and hurts like the dickens. Try heat again, or maybe Flexall 454 (but put it on with a glove or you'll never get it off your hand), and maybe fo to your doctor for a cortisone shot if it gets too bad to bear.
    Glad to have you here,
    Klutzo
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Anita, glad you found our world here! Lots of great friendy, informed people on our board.

I also have Fibro and yes, I do get Costachondriasis, it hurts so darn bad even to move. I use a heating pad, and I will take Advil, gel caps. I also take Xanax at night time only, but will cheat and take a small amount in the day if I have an attack of that rib pain. It works well with Advil.

As for those spasms, if they are what Klutzo said, then this might not be helpful. But I take 'Glucosamine Chondroitin' for any joint pain, also use heat.

Again, welcome to the board and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

Don't have anything helpful to add that hasnt been said better than I could have said it but do want to send you my personal Hi, and welcome. It is a blessing to come here and type your problems away. You dont always get an answer because things move fast but just keep on comin' cause as you say it is so nice to know that someone else at least understands and I find a great deal of comfort in that knowledge.
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'm glad you've joined and I am sure you'll continue to learn and get the support that you need right here! I do not have costochondritis pain, but I have pain everywhere else!!!
    It's so nice to meet you!
    Kady