New to board Lyrica versus Neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brendapcmt, Aug 11, 2008.

1. brendapcmt

brendapcmt New Member

Hi, been battling fm for a couple of years with basically not much help. Finally tried Lyrica on a trial dose but now insurance says they won't pay for it but they will pay for Neurontin. I thought I read that Lyrica works better than Neurontin for fm. Has anyone met this opposition and how if at all do they differ? I was thinking I might have found my "miracle drug" until today when I got this news and I'm upset. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks !
  2. EngGeek

EngGeek New Member

I too am new to this board. I was on Neurontin for a year and a half. It did nothing except cause me to gain 30 lbs. Lyrica has helped a lot with the fibro part of my problems. I also take it for a traumatic brain injury. Doesn't help at all with the CFS. At least I don't think it does. I'm currently lowering my dose to see if it does help as much as I think it does (Don't tell my doctor). You might want to push your insurance to get coverage. I was actually able to fight Medicaid and get it covered. Lyrica is the only medication approved by the FDA for treating Fibro. It is expensive- $350 to $400 per month.
    Good luck!
  3. 2_TiReD

2_TiReD New Member

Maybe it would be a good thing to fight for the medication if it works for you.

Unfortunately, for me, I had a seizure while on lyrica and neurontin made me so irritable I was almost aggressive(yah, like I needed any more of that emotion). Lyrica wasn't directly implicated in my seizure, but I had been on a dose of 100 mg for only three days when it happened. I actually felt my nerve crap get better too, so I would like to retrial it when it gets cooler out (was dehydrated and overheated along with the medication, so ER didn't know really what the cause was).
  4. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I had tried Neurontin first and it did not work for me. Lyrica was a God send. But I have seen people where it was the opposite. I am surprised the insurance company balked at it, considering Lyricais the 1st FDA drug approved for FM. Ask your doctor to file a form with your insurance company. They are called a prior authorization form. Hope this helps.
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I would have your doctor call your insurance company and tell them that this is the FDA medicine for FM and that you have FM and that you REQUIRE this medication.

You can fight your insurance for coverage...just cause they said no the first time doesn't mean you can't fight them. Having your doctor contact can be a really big help.

If this med works for you then I would fight for it.

I have been on Lyrica for almost 3 years now. It is not my miracle drug but it does a lot of good for me.