New to Board/Need Info on Lexapro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fm4years, Feb 6, 2006.

1. fm4years

fm4years New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I have been dealing with fm for about 10 years, also IBS and anxiety. In the last year I have been having some upper GI difficulties as well. After my last bout, which I thought was gall bladder, but was not, my doc strongly suggested trying some meds. for the anxiety, since there is a link between fm, ibs and anxiety. As of tomorrow I will begin a 5mg dose of lexapro. I am nervous about this, but I feel so crappy lately and have had a big life transition to deal with, that I have decided to give it a try. Any experiences and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Do not be nervous about Lexapro. People with FM have different experiences with various AD. I have had experience with lex and did very well on it. Did not help much with pain but it helped with anxiety and a host of neurological issues and sleep. Start slow, see how you feel, but you will probably not see the benefits till several weeks. Wish you good luck.
  3. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

I really dont think yopu need to worry about taking this new med and having a bad reaction. For one thing your starting on a low dose. I started out on 10mg and soon went up to 20mg. It has helped my depression. I dont think its done anything for the pain. My problem is I forget to consistantly take it every day. Doesnt work if you dont take it. I notice no side effects at all from this med.
    dolfenn43
  4. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I took 5 mg of Lexapro. It really helped with anxiety and sleep. it also had an unpleasant side effect of hot flashes and sweating for me. I guess this isn't very common for it. I have switched to Celexa, 10 mg which works better for me. Lexapro is tolerated by many~ I hope it is a good thing for you!