New to Board -- Need Prayer and Support

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by kathy_323, Apr 10, 2004.

1. kathy_323

kathy_323 New Member

Hi all. This is my first post to this Board. Lately, I've felt the desire to have children increase tremendously. I just turned 34 a few weeks ago. I feel a calling to adopt children who are in the Foster Care system. I am a licensed clinical social worker and work for a foster care agency and see so many children just waiting for a loving home. I know I can provide the love and care needed to raise these children. The problem... I have sufferred for years with clinical depression. About a year and a half ago, I made a suicide attempt. Since that time, my meds have regulated and I have been receiving the proper therapy. I take my meds religiously and never miss a therapy appointment. I still do get "those" thoughts, but they are fleeting and controllable. I'm afraid my past will hinder me in the foster care/adoption process. Am I being unrealistic??? I really feel like this is what God wants for me, and for the children I can help. I would appreciate any prayer and/or comment you may have. I'm really struggling with this issue.
    Kathy
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Welcome to the worship board. I will be praying that you God`s guidance on this issue. I personally think, that as strongly as you feeling lead to do this, it probably is what he wants you to do.

Many people have had bad depression and still raise their children just fine. I`m sure you probably have a lot of love and compassion to offer this children.

If its meant to be it will work out, if not things will happen so it doesn`t go through. I say apply and see what happens.
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have sent prayers for you. I understand the depression side of things--sometimes it is hard to shake those feelings. I have not ever made any attempts, but I have had 2 family members that succeeded.

I do not know anything the rules on adoption. Do you know anyone in the adoption field of work, who you can talk freely to? If not, can you call an adoption agency and ask some what if questions without giving your name?

Good luck to you!

PS--You sound like a very caring Social Worker--its a hard profession to be in isn't it? I'm not a Social Worker but I work in the Social Service field.
  4. dash

dash New Member

Dear Kathy,

I am praying about your desire to adopt a child. I don't know what the regulations are about adoption and fostering childern are, but I know that if this is God inspired you will overcome every obstacle. God often calls us to do things that the world labels "unrealistic".

On the otherhand, everyone of us has to be prepared for God's answer to be no, or not yet.

As long as you go into this process ready to rely on Him and accept His will, He will provide the grace and strength you need.

God bless,
    Della
  5. danny3861

danny3861 New Member

I will be praying for you Kathy and ask the Lord to guide you and give you the wisdom to make good choices in your life. Keep your faith in the Lord and anything thru Jesus Christ can be done. God bless you.

Danny