New to board, need some help in AZ!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mikewaz, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mikewaz

mikewaz New Member

HI everyone,

Been dealing with FM, CFIDS, MCS, and LGS since about 1999 and went on disability in Oct 2003.

I moved cross country to Phoenix by myself in Nov 04 attempting to get well. My company of 16 yrs fired me in Dec 03 and I couldnt afford to pay Cobra so I have not had health insurance since. I am trying everything I can and have done alot and read many books. I have 76 food allergies due to Leaky Gut and even though I rotate foods and eat organic I still have major setbacks.

Since I needed money to pay for holistic health doctors and pay for products I sold my car. I have been taking the bus and walking groceries to my apartment for 14 months.

Now my Long Term Disability Private Insurance has told me that in April 06 my benefits will expire since my conditions have a 2 yr limit. I spoke to a lawyer and he said there is nothing that can be done about that. if their policy has a 2 yr limit on FM that its legal.

So I will be left with SSDI which will not be enough for me to pay rent, bills, products, and food.

I have found that being a single person, on disability, with financial issues, and looking for housing, people dont really want much to do with you. I had a good job and I am intelligent, yet during times of brain fog and food allergy induced anxiety, people treat me like less than a person.

The waiting list for Sec 8 housing here is 5 yrs. I need to find new residence by May or June at the latest.

I had this dream that wouldnt it be nice of a few CFIDS, FM types could join forces and rent a house to lessen rent for everyone. Be supportive of eachother and have healthy meals together. Each of us working on our health individually yet not feeling the terrible isolation of living alone, with serious symptoms and knowing there is no MD or hospital that will understand what is going on.

I have called the Advocates for the Disabled but I dont get very far. I would love at the very least to find a person who would be able to take me to the grocery store once per week so I do not pull leg mucles and have to deal with low back and shoulder pain for days after.

Anyone in Arizona that knows of a church or group that would be able to at least help me once per week would be great. I am in the Northeast Valley.

I am high functioning yet sick and have a hard time asking for help since this illness is invisible.

2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

We welcome you. I live in Texas, so not familiar with any laws in your area.

I'm sure you will get some good replies.

Kinsie
  3. chopindog

chopindog New Member

Get a second opinion on the LTD insurance. People here have fought there insurance companies about this and have recieved large settlements. I don't know what your LTD company is but Mine is Unum provident. Go to the top left hand corner toolbar and type in unum provident in the search bar.You will find a lot of info!
    The companys don't have a clause against fibro, They have a clause on "self reported diseases." You can fight it if you can get positive lab work, tests etc. A good lawyer should know what you can do.
    Welcome to the board, you will find it a life saver! Lots of people going through what you are. And tons with a plethora of knowledge!
    Joy
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am so sorry for your circumstances. It sounds like an excellent idea, to find roommates with similar challenges.

It will take some planning, but I think you could do it. I would figure out how many roommates you would want, then the cost of the rental and how much you would each need to contribute.

I wish I could help you with this because I have a feeling it could be a good thing. You are a very nice person and if you link up with a couple of people like yourself, it could be a blessing. Maybe the members here could post some sample ads you might use.

5. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

What about living with a homebound patient, that is just too old ,to live alone. That would just need to be reminded, to take meds, and etc.

I live in Texas, and don't know if it would work, or not. It would be like any ,living together situations. There would be things ,that could drive you up the wall, and you might get on their nerves, at times.

But, it is a good idea, so maybe you could run an ad in the paper, and see if there is any responses...As for me, I would prob. be a little apprehensive, moving in with a stranger....
  6. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I re-posted the unum LTD discussion I had with people about the 2 yr limit. Says Unum Provident LTD questions. It should really help
  7. mikewaz

mikewaz New Member

Thanks for responses so far. Hopefully some AZ people will see my post!!!!
  8. donnadee

donnadee New Member

I was watching soap net tv and Montell had a commercial on medication for people all over the U.S. He said he is out to help people. For no cost or low cost medications. He said to call (1-800-4ppa-now) .The plan is called Partner Perscription America. Or go on web site www.pparx.org. They show different people from across the country who get meds. for free or hardly no money at all. I am from Az. but I can't help you. I wish you luck. donnadee

9. mikewaz

mikewaz New Member

Thanks for the tip but I do nto take prescription drugs. My chemical sensitivities are too strong and meds just make me worse
  10. kch64

kch64 New Member

goes out to you. Try disability agencies in your area. Ask them for assistance and they may be able to direct you to the right resources.

Are you a veteran? If so, try VA assistance. Call anyone and everyone.

God Bless and I'll be praying for you.

Kendra
  11. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

I applaud you for all your efforts in trying to make your life work. It sounds like you have done alot. I don't know of specfic resources in AZ. but I really like your housing roomate idea. May I suggest that a search for some would include a posting on "craigs list" for your area. Also possibly contacting any support groups for any of your illness and asking if you can leave a flyer with or even on a community bulltin board in a health food store. Be sure to screen potential roommates carefully. I am sure you will want to create a postive enviroment to live in and not one full of negative ninnys.
    Good luck
  12. mikewaz

mikewaz New Member

My best case scenario of having similar people in a house may be a pipe dream at this point. I think I will try my best to find low income housing and make ends meet the best I can. In the meantime take the suggestions of finding more support groups and meeting people, and also posting ads. I definately wouldnt rush into a roomate situation since all we all have to control, it seems, is the safety of our living space.

It just seems when I go to support groups 99% of the people are married and live in a house. I do not seem to find people who are in their 20's and 30's who are single and dealing with all this stuff. The ones I have found live with their parents. I cant be the only one who is single and doesnt live with parents and is trying to battle this DD.

I hope that doesnt sound negative, because actually I am a pretty positive guy, its just I am taking some lumps right now and a bit frustrated by the lack of resources.

Thanks for the replies!
  13. mikewaz

mikewaz New Member

bump bump bump
  14. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. I hope you find it a useful place to visit.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and hope they get resolved as soon as possible. The stress must be pretty bad for you, huh?

It would be nice to have a sort of CFS/FM commune or even resort, wouldn't it? I've often thought this, but I doubt my S.O. would agree, being somewhat of a recluse....

Good luck and better health to you Mike.
    Barry

15. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

My heart goes out to you

I remember I had once found a site that did have housing for PCW's. Sorry I forgot where I found it.

I'm gonna try and google it. I'll let you know.

Hang in there, Ritatheresa
  16. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

How about checking on this website for fms docs in Phoenix. There is also an fms newsletter that provides this info. This newsletter also provide lawyers, congressman, chiropractors etc. I am in Tucson, and my doc provided me with a support grp, books to read, and other helpful inf.
    Haven't been to the support grp yet since my dad passed away in August, and my Mom has alzs. Since then, my fms has skyrocketed! But I plan to soon!

If you find a support grp in your area, which I think you may, there could be someone who needs a roommate, a person who does not have it as bad as everyone else, and can help you with your groceries and other things.

Additionally, there must be some one who is having financial probs and need a roommate to just pay their rent. If you can do that, and have money for the net, to continue on this message board. There are wonderful people on here who are very caring, supportive, and compassionate.

Granted, I do not get on it everyday, but someone told me to today (my dad?)

Good luck to you, and don't forget people on this board do care!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  17. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Hello Mike,

My last job was working for the govt and I was thinking about your dilemna. Pima County has this Referral service that you call and tell them your concerns, they check and see if there is an agency that can help you. Maricopa County should have one. Look in the phone book under County.

Could help with looking through the phone book, and searching the net. Very tiresome.
  18. mikewaz

mikewaz New Member

Hi,

yeah I agree Sec 8 isnt worth the wait. I found a few places that are low income and not bad places so I am going to go that route.

Thanks