New to board: need your help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annl, Oct 23, 2002.

1. annl

annl New Member

I have just been diagnosed with FM and cfs. I've been feeling terrible for almost three years now and my doctor did not think it was cfs when I mentioned it. He just keeps sending me for more tests and to different doctors. Finally, through research, I found a doctor in the area on the good doctor's list. I just went to her on Monday and she diagnosed fm and cfs. She diagnosed fm because I had pain in tender points but I have not been experiencing any kind of severe pain - just achiness and many symtoms of cfs. My question is about this diagnosis. Is it possible to have fm without feeling pain all of the time? Please reply. I don't know anything about this doctor but all of you on this board are very knowledgeable on this subject.
  2. annl

annl New Member

I have just been diagnosed with FM and cfs. I've been feeling terrible for almost three years now and my doctor did not think it was cfs when I mentioned it. He just keeps sending me for more tests and to different doctors. Finally, through research, I found a doctor in the area on the good doctor's list. I just went to her on Monday and she diagnosed fm and cfs. She diagnosed fm because I had pain in tender points but I have not been experiencing any kind of severe pain - just achiness and many symtoms of cfs. My question is about this diagnosis. Is it possible to have fm without feeling pain all of the time? Please reply. I don't know anything about this doctor but all of you on this board are very knowledgeable on this subject.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Ann, glad you found our board. It is good to hear that you did find a good doctor from the list. So many of us have a doctor problem!

I have Fibro, have had it for 20 years, and I do have remissions that I am not in too much pain, But others will be able to relate to the CFS also.

What helped me with the Fibro pain is Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium) along with ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B-6) which helps me with deep sleep. Both are available at the 'Store' link at the right hand side of this board. Lots of information here.

Again, welcome to the board, and will be looking forward to knowing you better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. dd

dd New Member

Welcome to the group! I am fairly new here too and don't know how I survived without this group for the last couple of years.

The answer to your question is yes. You don't have to have pain all the time to have FM. My CFS is worse than the FM at the moment. I never have a day that I don't feel achy from muscle fatigue but I do have days that the pain is not there. There is definitely a difference in achy and real pain. I do notice that when I am under more stress than normal the pain comes back and the CFS is more severe also. I have tried to exercise but for me that is what causes pain too. I have tried to push myself to exercise in the past and then I am in bed for a week. So, I take things slow and do what I can and try not to overdue it.

Again, welcome aboard.

Debbie
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Hi,
    It`s nice to have you join the board. Yes, you can have
    fm and not have pain all the time. Also the pain can move around on your body. It isn`t always in the same areas.
    I used to have the most trouble with my shoulders and neck, and now its my legs hands and back. Its very unpred-
    ictable.
  6. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

with the others about the pain moving all about, and varying in severity. It's like it plays a little game with us. Like, where do you want it today and how bad? Good luck to you and hang in there with us!
  7. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Many people would say that FM is CFS without the predominant fatigue anyway, but assuming they're two different entities, I find that the FM pain comes and goes (and tends to be a sharper more 'neurological' type pain). The muscle aches that go with CFS are pretty relentless and present on a daily basis, and can be easily exacerbated by activity. Originally, all my pain was in my neck, shoulders and upper arms. Now it's mostly in my legs. Hope your pain gets better!
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I definitely do not have round-the-clock severe pain. I tend to be achy, particularly in my hands and feet. And I also have muscle twitching, tingling, and swollen, inflamed-feeling hands. I will swear til the day I die that these other, more neurological symptoms are every bit as debilitating, exhausting and frustrating as severe pain. Those of you who also suffer from these types of symptoms probably know what I mean. All of us have our own subset of quirky symptoms, in addition to the similarities we all have. Some with FM definitely do have more daily, chronic pain than others. Hope you find ways to relieve your symptoms & live a more comfortable life. This board is a great resource!! Best of luck to you, Ann...

Hugs,
    Pam