new to board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fabricaholic, Jun 20, 2006.

1. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

Hi there! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new here, I've never been on one of these message boards before.

I have just been dx'd with CFS about a year ago after a long and still ongoing issue with chronic hives (unknown cause, as with everything else) I also have fibromyalgia. Currently I am in the throwes of a major bout of cfs and can hardly handle being in my own skin due to the fatigue and pain and swelling of my joints. Needless to say on the brink of loosing my mind. UURRGG!!

I noticed as I was thumbing throught some of the messages that a few of you are RNs and was wondering how yall keep up with the demands of your jobs? I am a MA and the office manager of a small but bussy Dr's (two are in the practice). What do yall do when you are so tired all you want to do is sleep? I am very afraid that I might not be as alert as I need to be and might put someones life in danger.

How does everyone keep up with the grand kids? Heck I'm 42 and have three wonderful grandbabies (all under 2) and one on the way, I should be able to run and play with them and not just sit and watch them play. Any advise?

sorry to sound so down in the dumps upon first arriving here......but I am at whits end on what to do.

Thanks for listening .

2. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Welcome,
    You will find lots of support here. I understand how you feel in regards to working, I am struggling myself with FMS and coping with pain and fatigue throughout the day. We need to be aware of and stop beating ourselves up, it is hard when you are only 42 - I am also - and see women years old with tons more energy, but the more we think of it the worse it feels. Take care of yourself and enjoy your grandbabies.

Take care,
    Maggie
  3. jmblknit

jmblknit New Member

WELCOME, I AM NEW TO THE BOARD MYSELF. I WAS DIAGNOSED 8 MONTHS AGO. SOMEONE HERE GAVE ME ADVICE TO BUY THE BOOK FATIGUED TO FANTASTIC. I GOT IT AND IT HAS A WEALTH OF INFO. I WAS AT MY LOWEST IN FEB, 06. I TOOK A LEAVE FROM WORK. STRESS IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM AND WORKING WITH ALZHEIMER PATIENTS IS VERY MUCH SO. I THINK IF YOU BUY THE BOOK IT WILL BE A GREAT HELP. THEY ALWAYS SAY KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. THE MORE YOU KNOW THE BETTER YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF..HOPE IT HELPS.

JOANNE
  4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I am currently in school to become a registered nurse. (On summer break right now.)

My FM has gotten worse since starting college 2 years ago.
    I have one more year left then hopefully I will graduate.

I always wanted to work at the hospital when I became a nurse (the ER, OR, or something interesting) However, I have been wondering how I am going to be able to do that.

I do not think you will put anyone's life in danger!

Grandkids....yep, I have 4 and I'm 37! My step-children started a little early!

I do not have the energy to play with them or the tolerance when they don't listen!

Please don't be sorry for being in the "dumps". Many of us come here to vent our frustrations and get encouragement when we feel like we can not do this another day!

Take care!
  5. janieb

janieb New Member

- or maybe more.

I'm 62 and worked until I was 60. It wasn't a medical professon, but it was administrative and I worked lots of hours, had my mother living with us (alzheimers) and a two year old granddaughter living here, also.

I had daycare at home for both. I knew by 50 that I would never make it 65, so I negotiated early retirement at 60 and made it by the skin of my teeth. Thanks to plenty of pain pills.

As for grandchildren - perhaps you would be more successful if you got to take them one at a time. My 3 year old grandniece comes every chance she gets. We do quiet things like reading books, polish fingernails, coloring. She is much better behaved when it's only her and she has my attention. In fact, we hate to see her go home, and she never wants to leave.

There are also computer games that the kids love and it keeps them quiet and busy for a long time. If you have more than one, it's a fight over who gets the computer, but I set the timer and the other one watches cartoons.

Good luck to you, and Blessins,

janieb
  6. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

Andi: be proud of your neice and what she wants to do in the military.

I know all to well how you all are feeling. for I was a military wife for 18 years (navy) and now that hubby has retired and the kids are grown I now have a son in law that is now in the airforce.

I know with all the stuff going on in Iraq it is a scary thing to think of all the things that can happen if they choose the military ( having survived the gulf war).

Daniel (my son in law) happens to be in Qatar at the moment and this is his second tour, my daughter and her 2 children and she's preg with #3 are here with us.

we miss them and love them so much sometimes that it's almost overwhelming, but I know that we are also very proud of them for what they are doing and what they stand for, and without them our country would not have the freedoms we so often take for granted.

so I say be proud of her I know I am!

cindy