New to board!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karbear, Nov 3, 2002.

1. karbear

karbear New Member

Hello, I was just wondering if any secrets are out there how to deal with this constant pain. I was diagnosed a few months back and its been really difficult somedays. I don't like to take the muscle relaxers during the day because they make me so tired.I am a mother with five kids and I have lots of running to do..so its hard to take them when I know i need to drive. All the kids are in school during the day now so I do have time for naps,which a few a day are needed somedays. I was diagnosed after having breast cancer last year and going through surgeries and chemo I was ready to start feeling back to normal then this!!!!!!!! So much for even semi-normal...I also have a thirteen year old who has been dealing with being sick for years,achiness,chest pains,etc...you name it she has it...and I had her to the rhemotoid doctor and he says she has 'not sure of the name"but i notice that fibromyalgia is referred by the name sometimes. I asked him if she could have fibromyalgia and he said"yes same thing" but hasn't actually come out to say she has it. I am almost 100 percent possitive she has it,she is so achey all the time and has knee problems for years,which they told us it was chrondomalcia patella..she has just so many symptoms of fibromyalgia its scarey. Shes so young and has been dealing with problems for years and never had a diagnoses...well thanks for listening. God Bless, Karbear
  2. karbear

karbear New Member

Hello, I was just wondering if any secrets are out there how to deal with this constant pain. I was diagnosed a few months back and its been really difficult somedays. I don't like to take the muscle relaxers during the day because they make me so tired.I am a mother with five kids and I have lots of running to do..so its hard to take them when I know i need to drive. All the kids are in school during the day now so I do have time for naps,which a few a day are needed somedays. I was diagnosed after having breast cancer last year and going through surgeries and chemo I was ready to start feeling back to normal then this!!!!!!!! So much for even semi-normal...I also have a thirteen year old who has been dealing with being sick for years,achiness,chest pains,etc...you name it she has it...and I had her to the rhemotoid doctor and he says she has 'not sure of the name"but i notice that fibromyalgia is referred by the name sometimes. I asked him if she could have fibromyalgia and he said"yes same thing" but hasn't actually come out to say she has it. I am almost 100 percent possitive she has it,she is so achey all the time and has knee problems for years,which they told us it was chrondomalcia patella..she has just so many symptoms of fibromyalgia its scarey. Shes so young and has been dealing with problems for years and never had a diagnoses...well thanks for listening. God Bless, Karbear
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

Welcome to our world. Isn't it the pits to think you are getting better and then get hit with this mess?

There are pain meds that do not make you drowsy. I take Ultram which I find really helps with the pain and doesn't make me any more drowsy than I already am from my CFS.

I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having problems too. I do hope it turns out to be something else.

I look forward to getting to know you better here.

Barbara
  4. karbear

karbear New Member

Barbara , thanks for your response . I will ask my rhematoid doctor about that med. Somedays the pain is awful. Let me tell you a bit about myself. I am 38 and am married with 5 children. (16,13,12,9,5) four girls and a boy,right in the middle !! I am a Cancer survivor and in remission,thanks to god!! It has been a year and 4 months since my dx.,which has changed my life forever. After finishing chemo I was still feeling like I had the flu and so achey and so much pain in my shoulders,knees,elbows,back,neck,etc...the oncologist sent me off to a neurologist who did nerve testing, and found nothing wrong, he suggested a rhematoid doctor and suggested maybe it was fibromyalgia,the doctor then did the tender point testing and "ouch" He then diagnosed me ..talk about depressing, after fighting cancer and surviving Chemo, I just wanted to have some normalcy in my life,well so far with this there is no normal , Everyday I hurt,somedays it hurts so bad I either laugh or I would be crying ...but I have learned so much fighting cancer,I precious life is and how much more appreciative I am of Life ...Everyday I thank god that I survived and I know that I can make it through this..its tough but I'm tougher!! Thats what got me through Chemo and all the surgeries,,well I would love to hear more about your story. and again thanks for your response,its great to know there are caring people in this world still...god bless,karin
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I'm a Karen :) too!
    It seems you and I are doing things in reverse order. The onset of my Fm/CFS was this past Spring. I was being treated for severe pain while passing a kidney stone, during an out of state vacation. They did cat scans, xrays, and ultrasound while I was in Emergency room. They told me before I was discharged, I had a mass on my left kidney.
    I saw a urologist (the quickest I could get in, was two months) He reordered all those images, plus MRI. (Another month passed) Testing...and then weeks until my appt. to see him. The radiologist rated my tumor a 2 on the bozniak scale. Which means it has calcification around the outer wall. If it hits a 3---the kidney is removed. While sitting in the Urologist office...he asks me, "What did they tell you about the 9 cm. mass in your abdomen?" I almost fell on the floor---that was the first I had heard about it. (4 or 5 months after it had been reported) The hospital where I was seeing the urologist--had lost my medical records two times from the ER visit, out of state, in May. The doctor who was my PCP, had received these records, and just tucked them in my folder without looking at them. Anyway, I am scheduled for another CT this month, to look for changes, in the 2.5 cm. kidney mass---and a visit back to the PCP,and sure will throw a fit that the radiology report,in my records has a 9 cm. mass reported, that no one has addressed. So much for early detection--geeez! This has been a nightmare. Thank gawd, I have a good doctor to address my FMS and CFS needs. It restores a little faith in the medical community.
    I would definitely ask for ultram...from your doc. I take it too, and it has never made me feel sleepy, or drugged. That is just me, though, perhaps. I have a high resistance to drugs. I haven't ever gotten any relief from muscle relaxers. Poor you--after beating cancer, It seems only fair that you should be sparred this.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2002]
  6. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

Karbear,
    Welcome to the group! I think we are similar situations. My daughter is 20, and I am sure she has it too. She does not want to take meds for it like I do. Since she is an adult, she can make that decision. When she was younger I took her to my doctor. The doc said she thinks her pain stems from a curve in her spine. Which I guess it could be. I would definatley get your daughter checked out. Sending lots of well wishes and gentle hugs to you both,
    Duff
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Karbear, welcome to our world. So happy to hear you are a cancer survivor, but sorry to hear you now have Fibro! Seems so unfair for you.

I don't take meds anymore for the Fibro, I take supplements. I been through the meds, and it seemed I had more problems than I had to begin with.

The biggest thing most of us are deficient in is Magnesium, which heals our muscles.

In case you haven't noticed, we have a 'Store' here at Pro Health, top right of the board. You can go read about the different supplements that are designed for FM/CFS.

You might want to consider getting your daughter and yourself on supplements, even if you do decide to take meds too. We seem to be deficient in vitamins and minerals too.

Let us know if we can help you in anyway, we have a wonderful group of people here who are always willing to share their experiences.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]