New to Board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MariaS, Nov 27, 2002.

1. MariaS

MariaS New Member

Hi everyone. I found this site a month ago and have learned so much. The most important thing I have learned is that I am not crazy, what I have, Fibro, is real and there are other people out there just like me. As I read through the messages I was crying and laughing at the same time. Crying because it is such a relief to be validated and laughing at the irony of being relieved at being sick! Anyway, I identify with so many things that I read on the message board. I can't sleep through the night, hobble around in the morning because I am so stiff, hurt all over (legs are really bad right now) and so tired that I am scared to drive anywhere alone because I might not be able to drive back home. If I do tackle a project, the next few days I suffer for it. On my last doctor visit he took enough blood that a mosquito would have been hard pressed for lunch (funny how your blood tests are always ok). He gave me a B-12 shot and started me on Welbutrin to quit smoking. For two days I felt great. Then I bottomed out. I have felt bad ever since. I plan on taking the B-12 under the tongue. Also I take topomax at night to help with the deep sleep. Other than HRT, I dont take any med. When I was first diagnosed in 1999, I thought the Dr would give me med. to take and everything would be like it used to be. I now realize that I will never be the same. I am sad.
  2. MariaS

MariaS New Member

Hi everyone. I found this site a month ago and have learned so much. The most important thing I have learned is that I am not crazy, what I have, Fibro, is real and there are other people out there just like me. As I read through the messages I was crying and laughing at the same time. Crying because it is such a relief to be validated and laughing at the irony of being relieved at being sick! Anyway, I identify with so many things that I read on the message board. I can't sleep through the night, hobble around in the morning because I am so stiff, hurt all over (legs are really bad right now) and so tired that I am scared to drive anywhere alone because I might not be able to drive back home. If I do tackle a project, the next few days I suffer for it. On my last doctor visit he took enough blood that a mosquito would have been hard pressed for lunch (funny how your blood tests are always ok). He gave me a B-12 shot and started me on Welbutrin to quit smoking. For two days I felt great. Then I bottomed out. I have felt bad ever since. I plan on taking the B-12 under the tongue. Also I take topomax at night to help with the deep sleep. Other than HRT, I dont take any med. When I was first diagnosed in 1999, I thought the Dr would give me med. to take and everything would be like it used to be. I now realize that I will never be the same. I am sad.
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

So nice to meet you! Ohh, so you have been lurking for a month now, eh? Bout time you jumped in!
    Glad to hear you have supportive Doctor--that is a huge accomplishment in itself!
    I know what you mean about being saddened and elated--to find out that you have a chronic illness. The validation is so important. It does take a huge load off of our shoulders.
    Hope to hear lots more from you.
    Happy Thanksgiving, and Welcome to the Board.
    Karen
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Just wanted to welcome you!!I'm sure you'll have fun and find alot of interesting info here!I try to check in each day myself.I've learned more here than from my own Dr.(As is the case with alot of us!)I keep hearing here about the heated mattress pads....theres suppose to be great for us!!
    I'm hoping dear old st. nick will bring one my way!!Also try the epsom salt baths,they are a nice way to relax your muscles before bed!Hope you enjoy this board...we sure do!!
    Love,
    Tracey
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Glad to meet you! This is a great board, I know what you mean about the validation we get here. I wish you success in finding something that works to help you feel better, and in quitting smoking---let us know how you are doing & welcome!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Val

Val New Member

You have 'lurked for the same time as I did. Then I thought O.K. time I got involved with this lovely lot! I was made welcome and like you, find out far more on here than I ever do from my G.P.
    I live in Scotland with my Partner of four years (who I met whilst recovering from my marriage break up after 25 years.)
    and our lovely long haired chocolate tort cat.
    You can be sure of help and advice or just an ear on this forum. And I am sure you will be able to give encouragement and help to others too.
    Have as pain free a day as possible.
    Shalom...Val.
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Welcome to the board. I, too, am new - only been using the boards for a week. But it has been great to have others who actually seem to care. Heaven knows no one else understands where we are coming from!!!! The ideas here are great too. I must admit that since finding this board, I log on for 1-2 hours a day. I do get really sore, but can't seem to stop.
    Anyway, sorry for rambling on......
    I wanted to say that, yes, you are sad. I think we all go through the various stages of grief, because we have lost our "old" lives and they will never come back. I think we go from all the stages, back and forth, from sadness, anger, to acceptance. But we all have to realize that our old lives will never be the same, and it sounds like most of us were very active before fms. So allow yourself to be sad, but move on too and focus on what you can do. Ourgoals change, but we are able to have goals. Mine right now is to do gentle stretching yoga once a week , but truthfully I haven't reach ed it yet!
    So , hang in there and keep on posting.
    northwoodssue
    ps: I'm a retired RN so have tried all the medical stuff and alternative stuff too........
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Maria, a big welcome to you. So you have been around for a month?? How nice to know you were reading all this time. Gives you a good insight to the board and the members.

Yes, I can relate to how you felt knowing what you are feeling has a 'name'! It is so frustrating trying to explain to doctors/family/friends how you are really feeling and no one understands where you are coming from.

I think all of us go through this untill we get a final diagnosis, and get to a board where others are going through the same thing.

Glad you found us, and hope we hear a lot from you in the future.

Again, welcome to the board,

Shalom, Shirl
  9. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

I to have just found this site, I have gone through all the test and poking and prodding to finally find out that I have this FM. It is hard to convince those around you that you have something that is stronger then you are. To get those random stabbing pains through out your body that hurt so bad that it brings tears to your eyes; my hands hurt so much to hold a cup of coffee is work anymore. I am stiff as a board in the morning as the rest of you guys but my back will also stiffen up during the day to the point that I can not bend at the waist for love nor money. I used to be a High Voltage Power Lineman but not any more I just can’t do it anymore The over whelming fatigue is un believable to anyone that doesn’t have this DD. When I climb a power pole it feels like I am carrying additional 100 pounds with me. My hands hurt all the time as do my legs and back my body will just not handle it anymore, and the loss of consternation can be deadly in my line of work. I had a real close call back in October out in Kansas where I opened a jumper that caused a huge 12,000-volt fire. I was damn lucky to escape with my life; it was after that I hung it up. I don’t have the strength to do the work anymore; I haven’t been able to climb power poles safely for almost a year. Being the beard winner for my family I forced myself out of bed everyday to make a living, I used to come home at night and pass out in my chair. And sleeping in bed was a joke, I spent more time up and down trying to find a place that I could rest with out some of the pain this would wear me out and I would finally pass out some where either on the couch, floor in the living room or in my bed. Even then the amount or type of sleep wasn't restful, I really don't know how to explian it but you just didn't get that much out of it.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2002]
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Maria and Dan...join in and help us find ways to enable each other to be as comfortable and healthy as we can be. Maybe, one day we'll have our cure! Until then, knowledge and support and love and gentle hugs are shared freely here. Welcome to you both!!!!
    Love and empathy,
    Kady
  11. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm glad you found this Board. I know you'll find a lot of useful information here and people who can empathize with what you are going through! I hope you feel better soon.

Annette2 :)
  12. sheri

sheri New Member

I just had to smile when I saw you have been here a month then joined, because I didn't even give it much time at all! I read a few of the messages, and decided to join! That must be my compulsive side...I am very glad I did. I try to check every day, the new posts and really enjoy the chat rooms too. It not only helps knowing there are so many others with these problems, but I hadn't realized that I was lonely too. Its good to have a place to go to and just vent out your feelings, and get positive responses. Also, there is so much information here. God Bless them and you!
    I relate to your feelings of sadness, it is a transition, but isn't it good that there is a huge "family" here? Will be looking forward to 'hearing' more from you.blessings, sheri