New to CFS - is it depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nygirl, Mar 30, 2003.

1. nygirl

nygirl New Member

Dear all,
    I am newly possibly diagnosed with CFS after two years of frustration. My GP who I love and trust tells me that CFS is actually depression and that what they called CFS in the 80's they now treat as depression. However research on the internet, while it encourages the use of anti-depressants for CFS seems to consider it something separate as well. Do any of you know what the distinction is?
    As well, can anyone recommend a doctor in New York?
    Thanks!
  2. nygirl

nygirl New Member

I guess what I'm really having a hard time with is that I don't actually feel depressed! My illness makes me depressed at times but I'm recently very happily married, working in a job that I love (and that allows me the flexibility to be ill) and I've just moved to a place that's much calmer and more peaceful. I am happy to try anything and if anti-depressants will help then bring them on. But when I say to him that I'm not depressed he says "Well people manifest depression differently".
    So thanks for your thoughts,
    Emily
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I tried to correct a typo and deleted it instead. I'm glad you had a chance to read it before I got to it. I think it's time for my nap.

Love, Mikie
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi! I'm also a New York girl - I was born and raised in the Bronx! As the others have said, you should run (not walk) away from this doctor. To put it bluntly (as a good New Yorker) - he's an idiot!!!! Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a distinct illness - separate from depression! I have fibromyalgia, and of course sometimes I get depressed. Who wouldn't get depressed if they were tired all the time and/or in constant pain? But the depression is A RESULT of your illness. You need to find a doctor who knows, understands and treats chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't live in New York anymore, so I'm not familiar with any physicians there. But I'm sure there are others here who can guide you. I think there is a "doctor list" somewhere here that you can log onto. Also, there are a lot of books out there about chronic fatigue syndrome. Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum has one called "From Fatigued to Fantastic". Give that a try. I hope you feel better soon!!!!

Annette2 :)
  5. gcalex

gcalex New Member

http://www.cfids.org/resources/provider-info-1.asp

explains differences between depression and cfs