New to CFS really confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cashmere, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Cashmere

Cashmere New Member

I was recently diagnosed with CFS (1 week ago). I am very happy to have a name associated with what I have been dealing with for the past 3 1/2 years.

Before the diagnosis my relationship with my boyfriend was in jeopardy. I was often told I was lazy and never wanted to do anything. I tried explaing to him I was tired but he did not understand.

I love the company I work for but my current position (Sr. Systems Analyst) is very demanding. I have been struggling with this job for the past 2 months. My abilty to retain information is not as sharp as it use to be. I find that I write EVERYTHING down. I have missed so many days. My saving grace is that I can work from home.

I actually feel a little embarassed to anyone I have CFS. I am 30 years old and I feel as if I did something wrong. I find myself trying to push myself harder when my body is telling me I can't.

The other day while at work, I wanted to go out to lunch to grab a salad from a local deli. I sat in the car and could not find the strength to move. After 40 minutes I went back into the job(skipped lunch) just feeling defeated.

My doctor told me that antidepressants will help. However I was on Zolft once before (about 3 years ago) and found it higly addictive (in fact, i joined a support group to assist me with the addiction). It took about 8 months for me to finally get off the pills.

I just don't know what to do.
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Welcome to our FMily. We are glad you found us. You will
    find lots of great people and info here.

Just remember you are not alone in your struggles, we have
    all gone threw what you are going threw.

I hope we can be of some help and support to you.

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Welcome to the board, although I'm sorry you find yourself needing our advice and support.

CFS is a very confusing condition so don't feel alone.

If you like your doctor, have a good relationship and he/she will work as a partner with you I would begin by printing out the CDC's Toolkit for CFS and take it to him. It is hardly at the cutting edge of treatment but it is a good place to start for doctors who may not fully grasp CFS and its symptoms.

I would like you to note this particular advice from the CDC:

"Professionals are advised to use caution in prescribing antidepressants. Antidepressant drugs of various classes have other effects that may act on other CFS symptoms and/or cause side effects."

"Reduce the initial dose because many CFS patients are very sensitive to medications,
    particularly agents acting on the central nervous system. Try prescribing a fraction of the
    usual recommended dose to start and gradually increase as necessary and as tolerated."

Many people with CFS do take antidepressants to help with sleep and pain but this is usually done at a much reduced dosage and at night. Also it isn't unreasonable for anyone who has a chronic medical condition like ours to go through depression as they try to adjust to their limitations and so drugs could be appropriate then also. However using antidepressants as a "treatment for CFS" is not a good idea.

The following are websites that may be helpful for you in understanding your symptoms and in becoming familiar with more traditional testing and treatments:

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/healthcareprofessionals.htm

http://fm-cfs.ca/CFS-Protocol.pdf

Good luck,

Shar
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

At the time, I told him, I don't know. I started sleeping through lunch, my throat was sore, so I know I was snoring.

At ~11:00am every day, I was freezing cold. So even in the summer, I had my box heater on.

I tried ~10 different anti-depressants. Visit to a neurologist showed nothing.

I was soooo glad that I switched doctors, went to a D.O. on the insurance plan. She brought up the idea of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Music to my ears). We tested for viruses and found Epstein-Barr virus and Cytomegalo virus. The EBV was off the lab scale it was so high.

I was put on Transfer Factors and added herbals like Tumeric and Olive Leaf Extract. I got better but not well.

My nutritionalist and a neighbor both mentioned toxic metals. So I got a hair analysis and found Lead, Cadmium and Antimony and Arsenic. I'm chelating these out.

Lead weakens the immune system and causes memory problems, but so does mercury.

If you "push" your body harder, you'll just wear out the adrenal glands and hit rock bottom. Caffiene and other stimulants just borrow from a bank that has to be paid back. Rest is when the body heals.

Avoid sugar, "Viruses breathe sugar" William Wong N.D. (a naturalpathic doctor)
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Have you tried DL-Phenylalynine rather than L-Phenylalynine?

It's supposed to be helpful for pain, whereas l-phenylalynine is not. It also may be more helpful with depression (even minor).

I don't know if it's available in Europe, though.

Best, lisa