New to CFS- think I "crashed & burned"- Any Advice??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

So, here I am looking over some of what the rest of you have experienced during a "crash" period, and it seems to sum it up pretty well.

I have been able to exercise pretty well with FMS over the past few years, and it actually has made me feel much better. So, I hadn't been feeling well, and went to the Dr., and he did some tests, and I have active EBV, and my spleen is slightly swollen, which the pain from that along with unusual fatigue is what sent me there. But, I thought, hey, why not get out and ride my bike, it was such a BEAUTIFUL warm, sunny day.

The next day I was so nauseated I could hardly keep from vomiting, I am still exhausted 48 hrs later, although it has subsided some, but I also got a horrible headache in the front that I have never experienced before.

We tried to watch a movie last night at home, and the FBI warnings are on unusually bright backgrounds, and I couldn't even look at them- it made me want to scream!

So, is this what it's like??? Is this the rest of my future?? I had the FMS pretty well under control for the past few years. I've never had anything hit me like this.

I am hoping to improve on this. What helps?
  2. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

but I thought I would bump it for you.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

If you have active EBV especially with an enlarged spleen, you need to rest a lot! You Doctor should be advising you about this but I would really take it easy for now. Many of the symptoms you had post exercise are common to us with CFS and can occur if we overdo it.

One of the things we all learn is that we have to pace ourselves. A good rule is to do only half of what you think you can. I hope you will spend some time reading what has helped others. There is hope and if you can get the right help early on, there is a good chance you will improve.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

and of course they said "do what you think you can handle- there are 2 schools of thought, one that you need rest, and the other that some exercise is good for you."

They didn't tell me that it would make me feel like THAT!!! I have never had a reaction like that to activity before. I am worried that THIS is what the others talk about being intolerant to exercise means. I am almost afraid to try again, even when I do get to feeling better.

My bike always made me feel free- like I could still get around and feel the wind in my hair. I am devastated.