New to Cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Allen, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Allen

Allen Member

I have been on Cymbalta for one week and know it takes at least a few weeks or more to get into my system.
    QUESTIONS: Has any one had side effects?????? If so, what are the side effects?????
    How effective is the Cymbalta in the reduction of pain.
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Allen!

I have been taking 60 mg. twice daily for about 2 years and it is wonderful! Although it is an antidepressant it also works on the serotonin levels in our brain helping with nerve pain. I have a friend who has diabetes and he takes it for neuropathy and says it helps a lot. For me, it helps with my depression and fibro pain along with Lyrica. The Lyrica helps me sleep and also calms down the fibro pain so for me it is a good combo with the Cymbalta!

I did not have any side effects from the Cymbalta but it took a few weeks or so to fully feel it's effects as far as I can recall, (fibro-fog, you know),lol! I wish you much success with Cymbalta and hope it works as well for you as it does for me! I'm sure you will get many other replies about this and some people do have side effects or it does not work well for them. Since you did not mention that you have had side effects I hope that means you have not had any! Good luck and keep us posted!

Faith, Peace and comfort, Julie
  3. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

Hi Allen,

For me cymbalta didnt work...i took it for 2 months aprox...but didnt see any results...except that it made me gain weight...close to 10 pds!!! so i STOPPED it because i am overweight already...and cant afford more weight gain...but i hope and pray that this medication helps you!!

all the best!

4. Jittle

Jittle Member

I have been on it for over a year now. What dose did you start at? I started off low: 20 mg which doc said wasn't even enough to work, but it did. I went up slowly to 30, 40, and 60. Rhuemy moved me up to 90mg a month ago, and I think I am stuck on that now. I tried coming back down to 60 but had withdrawal symptoms going down and pain started back up with the reduction.
    I had weird side effects when I tried to start..... I fealt angry and agressive. it happened when I first started and again when I moved up from 40 to 60mg. These feeling went away, thank goodness. I recommed starting off slowly.
    It does help. I had an itch under my skin which I found out was nerve damage that went away within days of starting. It does also help shoulder and upper back pain. This is the pain that came back when I tried going back down to 60mg. It helped my "over all pain" feeling: I still have break through pain. It helped me be able to "sit" at work with out having the feeling to get up all the time.
    What it does not help... I have a lot of lower back pain that no doc can explain, it does not help that. And I have A LOT of leg pain it does not help.

What I can tell you is I was a mess before cymbalta and need to take it. I would prefer to be back on 60mg, and am going to try again to go back down. It does have a lot of side affects so just keep an eye of what is going on. Also, if you could start on a lower dose, that seemed to work for me.

Good luck, feel better.
  5. Allen

Allen Member

High Jit....thanks so much for your reply. Have only been on it for 1 1/2 weeks and know it takes at least a few or more weeks to get into one's system. I am on 30 mg. twice per day. So far no side effects but am wondering if feeling weak and tired is a Fibro effect or a cymbalta effect.
  6. Jittle

Jittle Member

I believe that is a FM affect. According to my rheumy the cymbalta could actually help with feeling tired. I have been having horrible issues with fatugue for the past 7-8 months now that I am trying to work on with supplements: Do not want to start anymore prescriptions. When I went up to 90 cymbalta I did realize it helped a little bit with fatigue.

Good luck. Let me know if you have amymore questions