New to Fibro, and need some help from the pro's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ernie1, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ernie1

ernie1 New Member

Hello-
    I was just diagnosed by my rheumy and he says that Zanex will help with the Nocturia, (not sure is that is spelled right), or the night pee...sorry to be so graphic! I also need help sleeping, havn't slept good in months. My migrains are unbearable, and I cannot find a med to help with that or that breaks threw the pain. Also, I was wondering if the diarreah ever ends???? Sounds gross, but everything else seems o.k. right now. The pain seems to have subsided right now, so we will see. Any help would be great!

Thanks Ernie
  2. orachel

orachel New Member

Poor thing! I'm new to it too, but best thing I've tried for sleep is Klonopin, and I know lots of people here have had success with it. Really helps me because I have restless leg where I kick and flail around a ton at night. Not sure about the potty issues. Thank goodness, those seem to be one of the few gnarly symptoms I don't have! As for the diarreah...wouldn't worry too much about that (but for our family, whenever anyone has issues I worry about dehydration, so we all eat "pedialyte" popsicles which are for kids, but are tasty and filled with electrolytes) because as soon as you get on some pain meds, constipation tends to be a maaaajjjor side effect of most of them. Maybe it'll balance out? I do know that IBS is very common with FM, but I don't think I have it, or if I do, its mild. I know there are scrips out there for IBS...doc should be able to suggest something, or check in the "supplements" post...may be something natural to get you right again.
    Good luck!
    Rachel
  3. sheried

sheried New Member

Welcome to this wonderful board.

I can't help with your question, but someone will come along with some helpful suggestions. I don't know anything about Zanex. The migraines are kind of hit & miss with us as far as meds go. I have found that when I am getting one 2 Exedrine Migraine will kick it out. But I have to take it right at the start. The diarrhea is from the IBS and your doc should be able to prescribe something. Maybe try Imodium in the mean time.

You have found a place with the most warm, witty and insightful people in the world. Again, welcome.

Hugs,
    Sherie
  4. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

and welcome to the board. For migraines I take zomig, and find that they really do work if taken early on in the attack. Hope you find this board as helpful as I have. Everyone here is so kind, helpful and supportive.

Hugs
    brit
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've found this place to be a great resource and support, I'm sure that you will.

I've never heard of Xanax being used for nocturia, although, difficulty urinating can be one of the "bad" side effects of the drug. Xanax is usually used for anxiety, and will help you to sleep.

Talk with your doctor about taking an "antimuscarinic agent" - Examples of these agents, tolterodine (Detrol, Detrol LA) and oxybutynin (Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Oxytrol, Urotrol) - these are the most widely used for "overactive bladder." They have the one a day pill, however, talk with your doctor about getting one of the above that isn't in the one a day dose. You could take one prior to evening that may hold you.

As for your migraine, have you tried Zomig? That's the only thing that takes care of my migraines "in progress."

The diarrhea - is it "irritated bowel syndrome(irritated bowel)?" Or, "leaky gut?" Look both up on the web. There is also lots of information on this site. You can do a search with the subject by "title" at the top of this page. There are many topics that have been discussed and could be pulled up using the search.

I have IBS. This is common with FMS - probably the stress of dealing with fatigue and pain doesn't help it at all. You can take something like Metamucil to help. What Metamucil does is add "bulk", thereby absorbing liquid stool so that stool is more solid and less frequent. I learned about that trick from a doctor when I was working with patients in the hospital who were receiving liquid food through a NG tube. This would cause liquid stool, giving the Metamucil stopped the liquid stool and made bowel movements more manageable.

Good luck, please check back in frequently and also check the materials at this site.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  6. fificat

fificat New Member

As for the Zanex, I take Adavan, basically the samething works for me somethings ok but sometimes depends on the pain..when you get meds for your pain you should be fine.. for your headaches.. Topamax.. god made a great drug for people like us when he made it.. it is a prevenative so you take it day ana at night.. it works..pain meds WILL balance out your IBS I have that same problem too.. listen to you sounds just like me.. we're two of a kind...=)

lots of luck
    Sharlie
  7. patientnurse

patientnurse New Member

I take Zomig for migraines, and it does work for me. It takes about an hour to kick in, so I rest during that time. Take it before you feel the pain reach your scalp, or as soon as it does. Don't be shy - take it. If it doesn't work, you can take one more in an hour. If no luck, best to try another of the "abortive" migraine pills.
  8. ernie1

ernie1 New Member

To Sharlie, and Jeannette, and Brit, and Sheri and Rachel....Thank you! I see my primary tomorrow and now I have a list of meds to discuss. She is new to me so we will see how she responds to Fibro patients.

Again thanks for the warm welcome and great advice!

I'll keep you posted.

Ernie
  9. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

Hi Ernie,
    This is sure a great site. It's always good to go to a doctor armed with ideas. It makes the doctors have to think more. LOL. I hope your MD is a keeper. Please let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

Maree