New to Fibro....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jonskanlan, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jonskanlan

jonskanlan New Member

Hello to everyone on this board. I am a new visitor and I am learning a lot. I have just been "diagnosed" with Fibro by my Rhumetologist after seeing three other doctors over the last year and a half. I say " diagnosed" because my RH.DR. says he is hesitant to diagnose Fibro in men. Guess what...I'm a man. So I am confused and bewilldered by his exressions, by this diagnosis, by Fibro itself, I am so unsure of myself and so unsure of what is happening to me that I am actually scared. I have read up on the basics of Fibro and my symptoms fell right in line, when the Dr. did the tender point exam I could not believe he was finding all of these very painful spots. He just put his hands right into them and I let out a few yelps from the pain he was causing.

So I am here and just beginning this road. I feel angry and resentful (of what exactly I can't tell) that I have not chosen this road but it has chosen me. But, anyway, thanks for your help, for being here, for there to be a place where I can go and get comfort.

Thanks, Again,

J.
  2. MamaR

MamaR New Member

So sorry that you have this disease...but this board is so informative and strength in down times!

We all are coping and it helps to see what others have to say about their experience....because all of us suffer in different ways.

I have suffered for so many years. You can read my bio. I just have learned to not let things stress me...if I can avoid it!

My former pastor has fibro.. and he is a man about 56 years old. He has had it for about 8 years. It seems that it has affected him mainly in his body until recently. He now is having a lot of the mind fog.

We are here for you.

God bless,

MamaR
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There are other men on this board and I hope they find you! Your feelings are very normal and natural at the beginning. It is a long road but take it one day at a time and things will become clearer.
    This is a wonderful board for information and support. You can search old posts at the top left and there is a Library on the site as well.

Kathy.

4. tandy

tandy New Member

Welcome!!! sorry your one of 'us'
    Its not a decent ride thats for sure.
    I think you'll enjoy the board here.
    Its helped me many times.
    Just posting about something odd or strange, that you don't think anyone else could be experiencing,...then you find out they are?
    its kinda nice to have company that knows exactly what your daily battles are like.

I've had this FM for long time. 12 yrs :(
    I hit 30 and got knocked to my knees!!

I thought all this 'feeling old' stuff came MAYBE in my 60's?! Boy was I wrong!!
    I'm too young to feel this old.
    Are'nt we all~

There are a few men here with Fibro.
    Anyhow~,... Glad your here.

Did your Rheumy suggest any meds?
    I think I've tried em all :)
    not much has helped tho
    here I go again,... :)
    Yac yac yak!
    Take care
    Tandy
  5. StillOptimistic

StillOptimistic New Member

Hi J,

I am a male who has been diagnosed with Fibro also. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. My docotor is great. She is willing to work with me and try the latest meds that come out that might be helpful. I am still angry at times. Mostly when I can't do the things I want to do; things I used to be able to do without even thinking about it. I will tell you that this board has helped me through some rough times. I'm not sure I've ever even responded to a message before, but I read them and it helps me to know that I'm not alone. Although the majority of Fibro patients are female, there is evidence that many men never get diagnosed properly because us men don't like to admit we have a problem. I was floored when my Dr told me the diagnosis. I expect you've had the whole battery of tests to rule out a multitude of diseases. I did too. And I was thankful when results kept coming back pretty normal. I almost wish I had something different, that I did have some disease that is more easily treated. Anyway, I've rambled on and on---sorry! If you haven't already, make sure you get on a regimen of meds that help you get restful sleep. That has been the most help to me. I do take some pain meds, but I will go ahead and tell you that the narcotic ones didn't help a whole lot. But maybe some of the things that don't seem to work for me will work great for you. All of us are different. Take care of yourself and make sure you have a good support group around you. If someone in your life is not supportive, don't waste a lot of time on them. Just accept that they can't understand. A lot of people have trouble believing that you are really sick because you don't "look" sick, but if they could just live one day in our bodies then they'd understand. I wish you loads of blessings. -Keith
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

Sorry you're sick. This board has some great information on it. Some take meds, some use natural stuff, and others do both.

If its not too personal, are you still able to work?

Its hard to keep going. Many of us still work, but its a struggle at times.

Kendra

[ advertisement ]