new to fibromyalgia tender spots on back of head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hooksetter, Apr 4, 2007.

1. hooksetter

hooksetter New Member

Hello - I am new to this board and fibromyalgia. I hope that I can get some answers here to help me understand.

I am 28 years old now, but when I was 10 and wore big glasses I would often get unbelievable pain in the back of my head when I was running and the glasses would cause strain. There were two spots and they were sensitive to the touch.

Over the years I started wearing contacts, but still get the pain when wearing sunglasses. I went thru countless pairs that all caused me pain and have discovered it is not the glasses but those spots. A tight hat will also cause these two spots to seemingly swell up and hurt.

I think I notice it the most now when I am fishing which requires me to focus all day while wearing sunglasses.

I also noticed after a day of fishing recently that my teeth were super sensitive that night when eating ice cream. I found on some other site where this was a cause of fibromyalgia.

I am just reaching out here and hopefully someone has some experience similar to mine and can point me in the right direction.
  2. hooksetter

hooksetter New Member

thanks crystal

I am glad that I don't have the widespread problem that some people on this site have. I really just want some info on what I possibly have
  3. netnut

netnut New Member

I have the same problem with pain at the back of my head when wearing glasses.

I have to wear glasses because contacts bother my eyes. I have to get really light weight frames and make sure they dont touch at the back too much because it will irritate me to no end. The spot is someplace just to the back of my head about an inch and a half to two inches behind my ear and slightly down. The skull curves there. Bugs the devil out of me.

I dont think this is the cause of FM but it is an area that causes me pain.
  4. hooksetter

hooksetter New Member

hey netnut

Are the spots sensitive to the touch even when you aren't wearing glasses? My two spots are similar to yours but maybe a little higher

The pain is very sharp.
  5. I have them and they can get really sore. My dr. said the pain is from muscle spasms.
  6. sweed07

sweed07 New Member

I'm new to this site. But couldn't pass this post up. For the last month or so I too have been having pain in the back of my scull. About where it starts to curve. Terrible pain! I didn't know it was related to Fibro. I wasn't sure what else was going on. I have had to live with Fibromyalgia for almost 10 years now. That is that I've known what it was. I also have Osteoarthritis, Carpel Tunnel, and Degenerative Disc Disease. Everything seems to be really bad in my lower spine and hips. I have days I cannot walk. Literally! I get so tired of hurting. I honestly don't know what it's like to not hurt anymore! Do any of the rest of you know what I mean?
    It does seem like the cold and damp weather really adds to all of this as well. When I get cold, it takes forever to get warned back up!
    As far as meds, I take an anti-inflammatory, a pain pill, something for deppression and a muscle relaxant at bedtime to help me sleep. I try to keep active as best as I can. I know this is important. I really enjoy walking. So I try to get 1 to 3 miles in each day depending on the weather and how I am feeling.
    Sorry for the extra long post. Just wanted to say hi. If anyone has any new ideas, I would love to hear. I am always open to new suggestions.
  7. WELCOME to this site. I hope you find alot of useful information.

sweed07 Yes it sounds like where mine is. OMG its so painful. I mean its more of head pain, than headache to me. My rheumatologist pressed exactly there and said does this hurt OMG YES! I have a bad neck which I think is contributing to it also. it starts at the base of my skull and moves up behind my ears. He says it is myofascial syndrome, in other words muscle spasms. I do neck exercises I learned at PT and started lyrica. I could use a higher dose as it helps, but then I get weird symptoms. Good luck, this is the worst pain.

And yes I can relate, I don't know what it would feel like not to hurt one day. It would be a miracle I swear. Somedays its hard for me to act normal around others, if you know what I mean.

8. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi hooksetter and swede, welcome to the board, and sorry you need to be with us, but it is a great source of info and support.
    I always described this as "my hair hurt", but when i stated that in a LTD appeal my lawyer corrected me and said your hair can't hurt, its your scalp.
    obviously he has never had that problem, but scalp tenderness, and also tenderness tips of ears from glasses is a big problem at times.
    i had surgery before, major chest surgery with chest tubes, in ICU, etc., and what bothered me and hurt the most?
    the oxygen hooked around my ears.
    Crazy world of fibro! but welcome to it anyway--L
  9. skikat

skikat New Member

welcome to both of you newbies. this is a great site. yes, i have the scull pain but it is all over my head and seems to be worse on top. my dr. says it is muscle spasms. if you can have someone at home just gently do a scalp massage on you it will help. at least it does for me. annd as for your question SWEDE07- YES. I UNDERSTAND BECAUSE I CAN NEVER WALK BEFORE NOON TO ONE O'CLOCK. TAKES A LOT OF MEDS AND MASSAGE AND ICE TO GET ME ON MY FEET. SO HHANG IN THERE. WE ALL HAVE SOME CRAZY THINGS GOING ON. SOFT HUGS TO BOTH....SKI
  10. happyy

happyy Guest

HELLO.. I SUFFER FROM FIBROMYALGIA FOR 5 YEARS NOW, I ALSO
    HAVE TO DEAL WITH OSTEOPOROSIS FOR 2 YEARS, SOME ARTHRITIS
    AND 3 HERNIATED DISK, I AM ONLY 47 RIGHT NOW AND MOST OF MY DAYS ARE HORRIBLE, I CAN'T EVEN WALK, IF I GO FOR A WALK
    WHEN I COME BACK HOME I JUST NEED TO GO STRAIGHT TO BED BECAUSE MY PAIN LEVELS REACH SO HIGH, THAT, I CAN'T HANDLE IT. IF ANYONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT THE FIBROMYALGIA PLEASE FEEL FREE TO WRITE BACK. CARMEIG@MSN.COM
  11. hooksetter

hooksetter New Member

Well I have to say that I must be more fortunate than some here. My pain is isolated to only one spot

I think the way I strain or move my scalp/face to hold sunglasses on is what causes my pain. Like someone else mentioned here it could very well be just a muscle spasm or fatigue.
  12. sweed07

sweed07 New Member

When I was first diagnosed with the fibro, I had never heard of it before! I was newly divorced so didn't have much money for dr. visits. At first I tried every otc pain reliever on the market. I would take 2, 3 sometimes 4 times the amount that you're supposed to. Just trying to get some kind of relief. Finally got to the place nothing did anything. In September it will be 10 years that I was told what this is. I have had lots of ups and downs with it over the years. I feel bad for anyone who gets told they have fibro. I have good days and bad days. When I have a good day I tend to overdo then end up hurting even more! Not to bright sometimes. But I do really appreciate the good days when I do have them.
    Do any of you ever have pain in your shoulders? My doctor told me once I have all the 'tender points' plus some! Lucky me! I do try to keep myself 'up'. If I let myself give in to all of it, it's worse. So I try to keep a fairly positive attitude, and even joke about myself some. I figure I need to keep moving, yes, but I also need to keep laughing. You know what I mean?
    I hope you all have a nice Easter weekend. Take care.