New To FM, Good Doctor in Western PA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reeses, Sep 8, 2003.

1. reeses

reeses New Member

I was just diagnosed with FM about a week ago. My orthopedic diagnosed me after many test to eliminate other problems. I am in so much pain. Most days I do not know what to do with myself. I need to find a good doctor that specializes in FM. My ortho does have some specialty in soft tissue, but I feel he is not the best doctor for me right now. I have been to my PCP and he does not ssem to be hearing me. I also have migraines and chronic daily headaches and he refers to that each time I go to him and ignores everything else. I am very frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Melissa
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2003]
  2. reeses

reeses New Member

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Melissa, welcome to the board. We have a 'Doctor Referral' link at the top of this board, the doctors are listed by states.
    Also you can call; FM Network at; 1-800-853-2929 for a referral.

I am sure we have members in your state that will be responding to you also to share their doctors.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. CreateHope

CreateHope New Member

Hi Melissa,
    So sorry that you got the FM diagnosis. You may get lots of advice on what to do and what not to. I did, when I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Bottom line is to follow your instincts. For instance, I spent a long time going to a physical therapist who was a great doctor and a really nice guy, but I couldn't do his program; it utimately made me much worse for a short while. Also, I felt awful because I wasn't able to follow the advice in the cutting edge advice in books I read. But try to follow your gut. I know it's hard to rely on yourself when you feel so rotton, and to have a doctor who ignores many of your symtoms. Aside from a doctor list available here, the best doctor advice I can give is to find someone else in your community who has FM and likes their doctor. Even small towns have FM support groups, so it's possible to meet someone there.
    I hope that in time your pain will lessen. I found that my pain was at it's worst, for the most part, at the time of my diagnosis, and gradually got better, or perhaps easier to manage? I know at least one other person with a similar response.
    Just an aside, did your doctor do a Visual Contrast Sensivity Test (VCS) to rule out possible nuerotoxins in your body that might be creating a bioxin-induced illness? The reason I ask, is because this is what I'm looking into for myself now, as all else I've tried has failed. (Not meant to be discouraging!) I don't think VCS is a standard test, but I'm just curious.
    Be gentle to yourself. Your illness is REAL, despite what some well qualified doctors or laymen will tell you. There is hope, and you are in the right spot for support.
    Kate
  5. carolweedwad

carolweedwad New Member

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU CONSIDER WESTERN pa BUT i'VE GOT SOMEONE WHO IS SMART, KIND,VERY GOOD WITH FM, HE COMPLETELY CURED ME OF MIGRAINES AND HE'S BACKING ME ON MY ATTEMPT TO GET DISABILITY FOR FM. hE IS GOOD ABOUT GIVING ME SAMPLES OF MEDICINE........AND WORKING OUT FREE DRUGS FROM THE DRUG COMPANIES FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT WORKING OR LOW INCOME. HE HAS BEEN A LIFE SAVERS. hE'S THE OLD FASHIONED KIND OF DOCTOR THAT PUT HIS PATIENTS BEFORE HIS POCKET BOOK. hE'S IN HIS 50'S AND A REALLY GREAT HUMAN BEING. hE THE ONLY DOCTOR THAT I HAVE EVER KNOWN THAT I WOULD CONSIDER E REAL DOCTOR. YOU CAN TELL HIM I SENT YA. GOOD LUCK....CAROL BENNETT

MATTHEW COPPOLA, M.D.
    COMMUNITY CARE PLUS
    601 MONROE AVE
    PITTSBURGH, PA 15202 (BELLEVUE, PA)
    (412) 734-3030

HE HAS OTHER OFFICES..........AND HE KNOWS GOOD rHEUMATOLOGIST TO REFER YOU TO.