New to FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rileyearl, Aug 16, 2005.

1. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi There,

I just wanted to tell you how comforting it has been to read through some of the posts here. I'm new to knowing I have FM, although I realize now that I've had it for years--maybe since I had mono when I was 15 (I'm 52.) All the good information and support here make me feel like I've found a good place to hang out.

I am new to severe pain and don't like it one bit. I hurt when I stand or sit. Most of the pain is in my rear end and legs, but one night I read a paperback book about FM for 45 minutes. Just holding it up in bed made my arms and shoulders feel like I'd been painting ceilings for a week. I had to laugh at that--it sounds so stupid. It's good to laugh. Anyway, I'm happy you're here as I muddle through what will work best for me.

It's 2AM. I used to be such a good sleeper. I tried taking melatonin and over the counter PM stuff and benedryl, but they all make me so dopey the next day that it's not worth an extra hour or two of sleep. I take naps during the day.

I quit my job over a year ago because I couldn't stand to give that much of myself away. Figured if I was going to work that hard, I could do it from home for myself. So, I started an internet retail business. It's a going concern, but requires many hours at the computer. I've been having a little trouble summoning up the energy to wrap all the packages and keep the "shelves" stocked. Maybe it will get better after the current flare subsides (piriformis muscle seems to be strangling my sciatic nerve.)

I look forward to my time here.

Francie
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i'm new too about two weeks old that is.

you'll find this site so benficial.

i was curious do have periformis syndrome? i have that all i have ever been told is tdo my stretches.

does your hip area go numb? i get a lot of pain from it
    and well i noticed sinced i have gained weight i don't have it going as numb as much. because well i don't wear belts as much i'm in the strecthy clothes now. i don't want o be but i've gained about 35 lbs in the last 4 years.

good old antidepresants.

well any ways welcome

jodie
  3. Glad you found this place. Boy can I relate to pain when you raise your arms. My dr. wants to send me to phys. therapy but I am waiting it out. I hope you enjoy the board.
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Jodie, I don't get numbness in my hip. I'm not sure if I have piriformis syndrome. I hope not because something with a name like that sounds like it won't go away. The PT thought it was a FM flare in the muscle.

I've gained a pile of weight, too. I'm not sure it's the antidepressants or the lack of interest I have in exercising. I'm taking Cymbalta--just upped from 60mg to 120mg because of the FM. I also take Wellbutrin. Both of them have both weight loss and weight gain as side effects. Just once I'd like to get the weight loss side effect.

Take care,

Francie
  5. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

and welcome to this great site. Everyone here is so helpful, sincere and supportive.

hugs
    brit
  6. FMJen

FMJen New Member

I'm new to the boards and relatively new to FM. Diagnosed about three months ago. Boy Francie, do I relate to the feeling like you are painting ceilings! If I do something as simple as blow dry hair or flat iron my daughter's hair my arms and hands start shaking and go limp, then the pain sets in!

I also quit my job last year. Between the exhaustion and the pain I could not stand for as long as I had to, let alone carrying around the supplies and all the time with my arms up working at the board (I was an art teacher).

Glad for all the support here. It's nice not going through all this alone.

Jenny