New to FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by REH2384, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. REH2384

    REH2384 New Member

    Hey everyone,
    I just found out I have fibromyalgia this week. I'm 22, but feel more like i'm 45. I have depression, panic attacks, anxiety, and ocd all pretty bad. I am starting my student teaching next week, I'm really worried about getting too tired. Just wondering just any one has any advice for someone new to this disease. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks to all,
    Rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]
  2. Pianowoman

    Pianowoman New Member

    Welcome to the board. This is a great place to come for support and information. There is so much here and I hope you can take some time to read posts and ask questions.
    There are no easy answers but many of us have found things that help.

    I hope, first of all, that you are getting some help for the problems you mentioned. They can all be part of CFS/FM.
    Diet is something that should be looked at, i.e. eating more veggies, fruits, whole grains and cutting out sugar, processed foods etc. A good multi-vitamin is important and probiotics help a lot of us.

    If you have pain lots of magnesium can help. Many of us need meds for our pain and if you need them, you deserve to hace your pain treated. Also, you may need help with sleep. That's OK, many of us do.

    Like I said, there are no easy answers and it takes time. It's a weird disease and what helps one may not help another. There are many theories.

    BUT, there is hope. I think, if you stay around here, you will find some answers.

    Good luck with the teaching and remember that one big key is to pace yourself!

    Take Care
    Kathy
  3. Mwitherite

    Mwitherite New Member

    I got your reply to my post. What a wonderful career you have chosen! I am a computer technician, soon to be Microsoft Certified. I know how you feel with the wondering about being too tired. It seems like you can never get enough sleep and the FM combined with other peoples' kids wears me out just thinking about it. I have learned to take my shower at night to help me sleep and so I can take my time to get moving in the morning. Hopefully your hair will cooperate.
    Somehow I have mustered the energy to work my 40, help with first grade homework, potty train, and tend to my own studies in software and Spanish. Oh yeah, and take care of the moron dog and 26 year old man child as well. I guess if you really want it you just don't let anything hold you back.
    Good luck with the student teaching. I hope that you find a way to beat the fatigue. Someone put a lot of good information in my post... maybe something in there will help you. - M
  4. ETN

    ETN New Member

    anti-depressants and 5-HTP can be taken together.
    I just found out that I have literally no detectable serotonin. I thought being on an anti-depressant would prevent that but it does not. According to my dr it just keeps your level where you are. I have since added 5-HTP and Melatonin to my nightly regimen. 95% of serotonin is in the gut and the other 5% is in the brain.


    Rachel so sorry to hear about your dx. I was dx in 2001 after years and years and many drs. I was officially confirmed by a specialist on Dec 1, 2004. It took me a long time to except what I had and believe it.
    It's taken me a long time to accept my new life and how I have to adjust to it.
    I am 34 and have 3 children and have been married 16 years. I no longer can work and that was one of the hardest things I had to give up. I am not ME anymore. It's a very lonely and long road.
    Hang in there.
    I actually find doing a lot of research and learning as much as I can.
    No one will understand around you, I find that the hardest part.
    good luck