New to FMS: suffered 3 years before diagnosed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by refinnej, Jul 10, 2003.

1. refinnej

refinnej New Member

I live in WI, the doctors here have a real hard time with the diagnosis of FMS, one md told me to go see a shrink, said he can't find anything wrong with any blood tests or x-rays or mri's, sd i needed help in other areas. so i went to a psychiatrist, he put me on lexapro symptoms are still pretty bad, I do not like the weakness that i feel, i feel as if my body will collapse sometimes and the hip and leg pain i have is sometimes unreal, i need to be in this support circle......I have no one to relate to here, I need to find a MD who will help me out when i need it!!!!!frustrated!!!!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. We do have a great support system here, lots of great friendly people. As for a doctor we have a 'Doctor Referral' link at the top of this page, the docs are listed by states for FM/CFS.

If now, maybe someone on the board can help that lives near you.

Yes, this is a frustrating illness, I think we can all agree on that one.

Many of the members do not have anyone who they can really relate to either. Its hard to understand for those who do not suffer from this. We usually do not look ill, so therefore no one thinks we should be complaining about anything.

I have never met one person in my life that has suffered from FM/CFS, and I have had FM for over 20 years.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. FranWi

FranWi New Member

Wisconsin here, too - Milwaukee area. I went two years before diagnosis, and then my GP gave me a prescription for Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer and told me to look up fibromyalgia on the internet.

Well, sheesh! I'm not feeling very hopeful about this! The stories of spinal problems, thyroid disfunction, and endocrine failure doesn't sound so promising.

I think there are things he should be testing and treating me for. Instead he referred me to a sleep disorder clinic.

:(

Fran
  4. refinnej

refinnej New Member

failure of endocrine system ???? spinal problems ??? and or thyroid problems ???? I have not been tested for endocrine problems but thyroid they do a blood test and nothing shows up. I do have breast milk and my youngest daughter is 5 yrs old I am so confused on how to feel better!!!!!
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

You will really enjoy the interaction with the members here, we all understand how frustrating this dd can be.

Believe me, it's not just the doctors in your State who have a hard time with the FM diagnosis, it's everywhere. I have had FM off and on since a young child. I was "officially" diagnosed just five years ago. My doctor used to tell me, I don't know why you hurt all over, I know you do, but all tests are normal!! Finally, he told me he thought I had FM, sent me to a rheumatologist for confirmation. When I started researching it, I felt like I was reading my life's story. At last I did feel validated though, no more thinking maybe I was just a hypochondriac or something.

Hope you will enjoy the friends you will meet here. They are all so very helpful with suggestions and ideas.

Dara
  6. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

look up pitutiary for the breast milk secretion. I had it also after my 2nd daughter was born...like 5 years after....it is caused by pitutiary tumor or start of one and it might be to small to show up on an mri - an endocronologist is who treats me and does an mri every few years to see how big it is getting. Mine finally showed up after about 3 years of watching for it...don't be scared, they just treat it with dostinex...usually .25 mg. twice a week...a lot of women get this....

look up prolactina I think is the right term....anyway, excessive breast milk....can see if when you squeeze breast or when get mammogram and it comes out when squished between the machine....(that's how mine showed up)...i think it causes periods to get messed up also, again I've had it so long i forget some of the symptoms....

i've had it for like 10 years....should not have to worry about it after menopause they tell me....

take care...crissy

[ advertisement ]