New to group, and fairly new to fibromyalgia....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HappyBluebird, Aug 3, 2003.

1. HappyBluebird

HappyBluebird New Member

Hi fellow sufferers. I'm newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. After x-rays, MRI and CT tests, etc., etc., they finally decided there is "nothing wrong with me", and that I must have fibromyalgia. I have so many of the symptoms and get so tired for no reason, and I'm glad to finally know why. My problem is that my personal physician (I'm a member of an HMO) kinda scoffs at fibromyalgia. She says if the Dr. doesn't know what's wrong with you, they dump you in that category. Therefore, I feel I can get no guidance or help from her for any of my problems I'm encountering with this syndrome. The Dr. that diagnosed me was with the Physical Medicine Department, and is really caring and knowledgeable about it. But since diagnosing me, he has passed me on to my regular doctor and the Pain Management Department. They have given me stretching exercises which, when I attempted to do them, gave me sciatica so bad in one leg that I had to stop them. I am so glad I found this support group, and look forward to learning a lot and being able to "vent" sometimes. God Bless you all!
  2. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Glad you decided to join us! Most of us can relate to your doctor's attitude, there are alot of scoffers out there in the med. field. I would check around and see if you can find a attending that acknowledges FMS and who will take you as a patient. You Insurance group should probide you with a list of PC's that you might possibly change to.
    I have a great family practice Doc. who actually believes in FMS. I asked him about a refferal to the pain clinic and he told me that he stopped referring patients to them because they didn't know what to do with them. So it's differnt in every situation. Anyway, I am glad you are with us....WELCOME ABOARD
    Takesha
  3. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Yet another familiar sounding story. Can you request that the doctor who diagnosed you take you as a patient. Have you seen a rheumatologist? That might be better too. I have to go easy on the stretching too, otherwise I end up in a flare or having some itis. Hang in there. We all care. Gentle hugs and God Bless you too!
  4. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Hi there! Welcome to the Board! I think that this is the greatest group of people on this planet, I ahve made some amazing friends since I started coming here back in December. We are all so familiar with crappy doctors who don't believe in us. All I can say, from experience, RUN DON'T WALK, to another doctor FAST!! It can be such a miserable experience trying to work with a doc who does not believe in this. It's like talking to a brick wall!

You should fill out your profile and tell us more about you!! It always helps. Mabye you can meet some people who live by you, or have similar symptoms, or of the same age group, whatever. I just can guarentee that time here, is time well spent!!

Welcome again!!

Lots of Big Hugs,
    Kathryn
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Welcome aboard & pull up a chair. You'll love the library here which is chalk full of information and putting in a topic for message searches will bring up tons of answers to your questions. Welcome. dolsgirl
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

I hope you'll get as much from the board as I have. Lots of information and you'll find answers for just about anything you ask.

I also have had the problem with the exercising causing problems with my sciatica. The first time it happened it threw me into a flare with muscle spasms lasting over two weeks.

I hope you'll be able to find a good doctor who believes in and understands FM. It's so frustrating when you meet up with a doctor who acts like it's all nothing. Kind of makes you wish they'd come down with it too, doesn't it???

Dara