New to it all

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by celina, Apr 26, 2003.

1. celina

celina New Member

Although I have been suffering with the symptoms a few years, I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I can't seem to get my mind around out. Any advice, especially from single moms with young kids, on coping and understanding, would be great
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Celina, glad you found our board. It does take awhile to come to grips with FM, I think we can all tell our stories with that one.

My children are grown now, but I was diagnosed when I had a four month old baby , a six year old, and a 9 year old I was divorced, so I guess you could say I was a single Mom too.

I can't say it was easy, but I made it.

First you need to work on the sleep if you are having problems sleeping, then the pain. Thats how I did it.

You will need to do a lot of research, as most doctors don't know very much about this illness. You really need to help them, help you.

You have come to the right board, we have some really well informed people here, who are more than willing to help with your questions, and just support you when you are down.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. celina

celina New Member

The sleep part is the hardest thing, because i have noone to listen for the kids when I need to sleep. I'm trying a mild sleeping pill along with my anti-deppressants and they arent' doing anything. I'm hoping to find a good anti-deppressant if anyone knows of any that don't include: remeron, wellbutrin, effexor xr and 2 others I don't remember. The last thing on my mind is pain-killers, cause i know i react badly to them. I'm also interested in all things natural and holistic and am eager to try any that have helped other people, especially with energy and sleep.
    Celina
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi Celina---its so nice to meet you, welcome to the board!

With a diagnosis, comes lots of emotions, grief, anger, denial sometimes...fear, and yes, dwelling on it.

This is all natural. With time you will learn how to best manage this disorder, for you. Treatment is very individual, remember that. What works for one, doesn't always work for another. There are definitely lifestyle, dietary changes, meds, supplements, vitamins, and herbs that can help.

I am not a single mom. I have 2 of my 4 children still living at home. The best advice I can give you there, is learn to pace yourself, and prioritize. Stick with the important. Enlist help from your kiddos. I do, with my 13 and 14 year old---and I am fortunate to have some great grandkiddos 6,5,4, and 2....who love to help.

Welcome to the board...it's full of great people, great info...a place to learn and find support.

Best wishes, LL
  5. celina

celina New Member

My kids are only 2& 3 and they are starting to take advantage of me, when i need or can't move from the prone position, especially in the morning. I have tried everything short of spanking and i appear to be getting nowhere.
    Celina